Lift-a-thon coming up....need help with WSB techniques

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97%

Lift-a-thon coming up....need help with WSB techniques

Hello,

So a local club is doing a lift-a-thon and the three major lifts are bench, squats and powercleans...(im not sure why they are not doing deads)

So me and my friend have about 8 weeks to prepare for this and we decided to go ahead with the Westside Barbell Style.

Stats - 6'0 185lbs
    Bench - 265x1
    Deads - 405x1
    Squat - Havn't maxed but probably 350 or so
    Power Cleans - 225x1

I have some question though on certain aspects of the training that maybe some of the vets could help me out with

First...can you switch the deads for powercleans? (the muscles used seem like the same ) and do I switch squats with cleans every other workout? or do I do both every leg/back workout?

Second...On ME days do I just perform some warmups then do a triple..double...then single??? example for bench

245x3 then 255x2 then 265x1? after I complete that would I move the weight up next workout 5lbs?

Those are my main questions right now...any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,
    Creao

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I'm not sure about the power cleans but I'd think you would want to work them a couple times a week since their is a lot of technique involved. I know their is a few guys that lift Olympic style so hopefully they can help you on that. As for the max effort bench day wsb style. a common warm up would go like this 50% 5 reps, 60% 3 reps, 70% 2 reps, 80% 1 rep, 90% 1 rep, 95% 1 rep, 100% 1 rep. If you hit your max go ahead and rest 5 minutes and try to hit another PR. Also where do you get stuck in the bench? ex bottom, middle, top? This makes a diffrent as to what types of exercises you should do. Also you could take a look at elitefts.com they have alot of training articles on westside.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97%

well my sticking point for bench is the lower one third....and squats is the bottom....what would be a good routine to help these?
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.74%

Quote Originally Posted by CREAO
    well my sticking point for bench is the lower one third....and squats is the bottom....what would be a good routine to help these?
    For the bench,

1. Floor BB press with a pad under you. The bar should come down to rest on your chest and your elbows should be resting on the ground for a pause. Take a medium grip on this exercise. Do sets of 3 and 1 for 6-8 total sets.

For squat,

2. Box Squats off a box 1-2" below parallel. Again, pause at the bottom. You can use these for a ME or DE exercise.

Pause Squats also work well.
    http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/pausesquat.html

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need help with up coming bulk cycle
    By ambushunter in forum Bulking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-27-2009, 09:27 AM
  2. Need help with pct. coming off of pmag cycle.
    By Mike Monto in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2009, 05:52 PM
  3. Need help with pct. coming off of pmag cycle.
    By Mike Monto in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2009, 11:18 PM
  4. Up-coming M-Drol - Help with PCT
    By Secondlook in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 10:59 PM
  5. Up coming stack - need help please
    By avenue Red in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 01:52 PM