Powerlifting program?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Powerlifting program?


    Hey guys im looking for a proven effective strength training program. This week im nailing down my maxes to get my working percentages off and would like some help finding a tried and true strength program


  2. Stronglifts, bro! Lol! Jk. Subbed for answers.
    •   
       


  3. Crazy nobody has responded. Hope my joke didnít derail this thread.

    I donít know a terrible amount about good programs as Iíve only done the basic SL 5x5 years ago.

    Iíve heard good things about Grey Skull (spelling?) and the Texas Method. But Iím in the same boat as you as Iím currently just smashing weights.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by christ83189 View Post
    Hey guys im looking for a proven effective strength training program. This week im nailing down my maxes to get my working percentages off and would like some help finding a tried and true strength program
    Smolov is a pretty brutal squat program. Tough but it works. A lot of guys seem to also like the 5/3/1 program.
    BLACK LION RESEARCH REP
    Use WES15 for 15% off at blacklionresearch.com

  5. I just finished the Smolov Jr for the bench press, and it was very brutal for the 3 weeks, but it really paid off for me. I hit a new, good form, PR-370!! Plus I am almost 50, and it was pretty tough on the joints, but not too bad.

    Good Luck with whatever you choose!
    •   
       


  6. 5x5 works
    JTS has good ones
    531 is my favorite for a first program..

    Starting strength was my first powerlifting book.

  7. All those are gonna work if you work it

  8. Cool thanks guys.

  9. Hey Christ, here's something you'll never hear from anybody but me...

    Doug Hepburn's training system. I recommend getting his autobiography, Strongman: The Doug Hepburn Story. In the last few pages of the book, he wrote the entirety of his training system. Great stuff...

    I just thought I'd mention it because it's so damn underrated. It's real old-school lifting. Doug is a pioneer in powerlifting training.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Zombocalypse View Post
    Hey Christ, here's something you'll never hear from anybody but me...

    Doug Hepburn's training system. I recommend getting his autobiography, Strongman: The Doug Hepburn Story. In the last few pages of the book, he wrote the entirety of his training system. Great stuff...

    I just thought I'd mention it because it's so damn underrated. It's real old-school lifting. Doug is a pioneer in powerlifting training.
    Hey cool maybe ill look into that

  11. Quote Originally Posted by christ83189 View Post
    Hey guys im looking for a proven effective strength training program. This week im nailing down my maxes to get my working percentages off and would like some help finding a tried and true strength program
    5/3/1 game over..... There are some many different ways to utilize 5/3/1 with different assistance templates. You can do 5/3/1 and work on your sprinting speed as assistance, your mobility, you can work on supplemental lifts to your main lifts to bring up weak areas, you can do a body building type split for you assistance while forcing progressive overload on main lifts. Combos are endless.

  12. Had really great sucess with 5th set and 5/3/1 .... now i just follow programming from CWS since i go to his gym...pm me with an email and I'll shoot u a couple of excel sheets of my last couple meet preps and off season to give u some ideas

  13. You should utilize a program that runs on daily undulating periodization. Not all periodization is created equal and in my experience this has worked the best. For example, on monday you might do triples at 80%, and then on thursday do sets of 5 at 75%. Then of course you have linear progression built in with conjugation/westside elements to keep things fresh and progressing without hitting plateaus. Here's one I have used with great results along with several friends: physiqz[dot]com/training-plans/8-week-powerlifting-program/ (sorry i can't post links and don't want to break any forum rules). If you are looking to peak for a competition, i have also had great results running a short 3-4 week bulgarian cycle to maximize top-end strength.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Physiqz View Post
    You should utilize a program that runs on daily undulating periodization. Not all periodization is created equal and in my experience this has worked the best. For example, on monday you might do triples at 80%, and then on thursday do sets of 5 at 75%. Then of course you have linear progression built in with conjugation/westside elements to keep things fresh and progressing without hitting plateaus. Here's one I have used with great results along with several friends: physiqz[dot]com/training-plans/8-week-powerlifting-program/ (sorry i can't post links and don't want to break any forum rules). If you are looking to peak for a competition, i have also had great results running a short 3-4 week bulgarian cycle to maximize top-end strength.
    Yes sir.
    That's how people get strong.
    I wish I would've started training that way wen I was 18.

  15. D.u.p. it what I've been doing and it's been awesome I got my cousin training that way he's 22 years old 5"4 160 lbs he just put up 225 on flat bench after 4 weeks of training his previous max was 185 barley
    I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength

  16. Undulating is mandatory.
    But not for the novice.
    You can just keep tacking on 5-10 lbs for many weeks while the body and brain get the lift down.
    Once you plateau you should undulate with a 25% decrease in weight and linearly progresses again.
    After the second plateau the program can more complex.
    At least that what I is usually start noobs with

  17. I'm a huge fan of the Westside Conjugate Method, and it can be tailored for specific sports and goals.

    I've done Starting Strength (which is really aggressive and can be brutal regardless of the name), 5/3/1, 5x5 and Westside. They are all very different, it all depends on where you're at and what your goals are. 5/3/1 is not a starter program as it only focuses on very long, slow but constant progression (but it can also be customized for speed/size/etc). It's for seasoned powerlifters. Starting strength and 5x5 are more aggressive, and periodized. But I found Westside conjugate method to be the most adjustable method. It can focus on everything, strength, size, speed, agility - if these are your goals.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by Outofbody View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the Westside Conjugate Method, and it can be tailored for specific sports and goals.

    I've done Starting Strength (which is really aggressive and can be brutal regardless of the name), 5/3/1, 5x5 and Westside. They are all very different, it all depends on where you're at and what your goals are. 5/3/1 is not a starter program as it only focuses on very long, slow but constant progression (but it can also be customized for speed/size/etc). It's for seasoned powerlifters. Starting strength and 5x5 are more aggressive, and periodized. But I found Westside conjugate method to be the most adjustable method. It can focus on everything, strength, size, speed, agility - if these are your goals.
    Disagree....respectfully.
    Starting strength is a beginner program.
    It would be very brutal to try if you already had good numbers.
    Its a program to learn the lifts and continue linearly untill you have a grasp on how to perform big lifts correctly and build strength while doing it.
    If a seasoned lifter just started adding 5lbs a week it wouldn't work.
    If you are seasoned and want to try it.
    You start at 55-65% of max.

  19. Starting strength is for beginners yes - but the poundage goes up quickly. I wasn't suggesting it for seasoned powerlifters because they would not be able to handle how fast the poundage rises. There is also no way this program can be done (properly) without being in bulk mode either.

    I've been lifting for years, but this was the first powerlifting program I used, even when my numbers were ok at the time. I had to eat like a horse to handle recovery on this program. Nothing made my numbers jump so fast like this program did, but it was a 1 time program. I'll never run it again unless I have to stop lifting for a period of time due to an injury etc.
  20. Powerlifting program?


    IMO: fresh out of the gate brand new to training go starting strength or strong lifts 5x5. Most of the rest of the population of lifters would do very well with 531 on any of wendlers many different templates. Once you are out of ďintermediateĒ territory and you can confidently say (based on your 1rms) that you are advanced or elite, then I would say complex programming like Westside would be worth while....
    The whole idea should be to absolutely squeeze every drop of strength gains out of each level of programming... Thatís my opinion anyway.
    https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Outofbody View Post
    Starting strength is for beginners yes - but the poundage goes up quickly. I wasn't suggesting it for seasoned powerlifters because they would not be able to handle how fast the poundage rises. There is also no way this program can be done (properly) without being in bulk mode either.

    I've been lifting for years, but this was the first powerlifting program I used, even when my numbers were ok at the time. I had to eat like a horse to handle recovery on this program. Nothing made my numbers jump so fast like this program did, but it was a 1 time program. I'll never run it again unless I have to stop lifting for a period of time due to an injury etc.
    Absolutely.
    It only works for total noobies.
    Who should be gaining weight too.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Outofbody View Post
    Starting strength is for beginners yes - but the poundage goes up quickly. I wasn't suggesting it for seasoned powerlifters because they would not be able to handle how fast the poundage rises. There is also no way this program can be done (properly) without being in bulk mode either.

    I've been lifting for years, but this was the first powerlifting program I used, even when my numbers were ok at the time. I had to eat like a horse to handle recovery on this program. Nothing made my numbers jump so fast like this program did, but it was a 1 time program. I'll never run it again unless I have to stop lifting for a period of time due to an injury etc.
    I used it once also
    It won't work again

  23. Quote Originally Posted by Cgkone View Post
    I used it once also
    It won't work again
    Agreed. Once I got my deadlift to ~450# I switched from starting strength to 5/3/1 (periodization method). I loved that for a while but once I found Westside, it fit me perfectly. I love the variety in WS too and how I'm able to hit everything twice a week (with max effort and dynamic effort days).

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Outofbody View Post
    Agreed. Once I got my deadlift to ~450# I switched from starting strength to 5/3/1 (periodization method). I loved that for a while but once I found Westside, it fit me perfectly. I love the variety in WS too and how I'm able to hit everything twice a week (with max effort and dynamic effort days).
    I don't have the access to all the equipment to run west side.
    I got the basics never even used a deadliftbar.
    I'm just cutting and running a hypertrophy block untill June.
    Then I will make a 531 version block where I try and peak in 9-12 weeks.
    But ill bench 3xs a week.
    Squat twice
    Deadlifts once.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by Cgkone View Post
    I don't have the access to all the equipment to run west side.
    I got the basics never even used a deadliftbar.
    I'm just cutting and running a hypertrophy block untill June.
    Then I will make a 531 version block where I try and peak in 9-12 weeks.
    But ill bench 3xs a week.
    Squat twice
    Deadlifts once.
    I meant to reply to this before but forgot. I also donít have all the equipment but was following a modified template that they provided. It was a modified Westside for Skinny Bastards program, with DE/ME days. Basically a hybrid powerlifting/bodybuilding/agility program. I had stopped it for a while but might jump back on once I cut weight.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Powerlifting program for over 45
    By amdd1124 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-16-2017, 11:33 AM
  2. Best powerlifting program
    By crace23 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2016, 05:15 PM
  3. Eric Lilliebridge - Online Powerlifting Programs
    By lilliebridge in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2015, 03:03 PM
  4. Proven Powerlifting Programs
    By werner800 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 07:17 PM
  5. Powerlifting Program INPUT/HELP
    By IronMan1990 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Log in
Log in