strict overhead press

lift9

Awards
any ideas how to beak a plateau on standing strict overhead presses? what has worked for you guys? I work with heavy singles and doubles, I have tried higher (5+) reps but they never helped me with strength but they did help with size. I do z presses, seated overhead presses, heavy overhead lockouts with the starting position right at the top of my head, and have used paused reps from time to time. I cant provide a video as proof as all I have is a flip phone but I'm an advanced lifter in the overhead press (1rm strict press around 250 lbs) so noob gains are long gone. as a side note I use to bench press but I haven't in atleast 4 years and my overhead strength has never been affected by my bench press anyhow.

Peanutbutterj

Awards
any ideas how to beak a plateau on standing strict overhead presses? what has worked for you guys? I work with heavy singles and doubles, I have tried higher (5+) reps but they never helped me with strength but they did help with size. I do z presses, seated overhead presses, heavy overhead lockouts with the starting position right at the top of my head, and have used paused reps from time to time. I cant provide a video as proof as all I have is a flip phone but I'm an advanced lifter in the overhead press (1rm strict press around 250 lbs) so noob gains are long gone. as a side note I use to bench press but I haven't in atleast 4 years and my overhead strength has never been affected by my bench press anyhow.
Where on the lift are you failing: bottom, middle, top?
Last plateau I had I went over it with push presses.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Where on the lift are you failing: bottom, middle, top?
Last plateau I had I went over it with push presses.
Thats what i was gonna say too. Push press is a good way break through those ohp plateaus

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Kneeling and focus on full hip extension. Keep your ass tight, core and erectors engaged and breathe. Add bands and drop weight for speed and lockout work. I have a huge wingspan and stalled shortly and this not only broke my plateau but has kept the weight going up and the thickness everywhere else from stability improvements.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Kneeling and focus on full hip extension. Keep your ass tight, core and erectors engaged and breathe. Add bands and drop weight for speed and lockout work. I have a huge wingspan and stalled shortly and this not only broke my plateau but has kept the weight going up and the thickness everywhere else from stability improvements.
OHP kneeling? I've never heard of that before. I might have to give that a shot next time i plateau. Thanks for the tip

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
OHP kneeling? I've never heard of that before. I might have to give that a shot next time i plateau. Thanks for the tip
Huge difference for me and I wish someone had told me about it sooner.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Standing strict press with chains.

Gain bodyweight (not always a great option).

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Break out the dumbbells and do some OHP volume work with them.....a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle

warriorscode8

warriorscode8

Awards
  • Established
I know this is an old post but I've been reading this section. I'm at a wedding lol.
Try the Z press bro. Very tough. It's an OHP done while sitting on the ground.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I know this is an old post but I've been reading this section. I'm at a wedding lol.
Try the Z press bro. Very tough. It's an OHP done while sitting on the ground.
It is named after one of the biggest OHP men in the world (Big Z), so u can't go wrong trying it

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
The only thing that improves my overhead press is doing more overhead pressing

StoneMountain

Awards
I'm assuming that when you say you haven't benched in 4 years, that you were talking respectively about barbell? If not, I would highly recommend doing some heavy dumbbell work if benching with a barbell is not an option.
I would also to try and focus on building your Serratus Anterior. This is one of the primary muscles that allow movement overhead. Exercises that can influence this, that you may not already do, are things like:
-Pullovers
-Dips/Push-Ups
-Incline Bench Straight-Arm Raises
I've also heard people recommend "Pec Shrugs" or "Overhead Shrugs", though I have never done these and couldn't verify if they work or not.

Gravitygames2

Gravitygames2

Awards
You almost cant beat seated overhead presses. If your that focused on the shoulders do them pyramid and power setted