Need help

Its Raider

Its Raider

Awards
What's going on guys. I'm currently coming back to the gym regularly again but I kinda want to change my routine to powerlifting. I've always been weak. When I was in high school I could barely bench 135. I didn't like to lift because for my size I knew I wasn't strong and there were guys smaller than me lifting way more .

I've been working out off and on for about 3 years now. I lost a lot of weight the past 6 months from not training. When I left the gym I was a chunky 238 but had some solid size. I'm 196 as of now. But the thing is I'm stronger in all my lifts (deadlift, squat, and bench). When I took that 6 months off I did come in the gym every now and then. I would follow canditos linear program. My lifts are: bench 255, squat 295 (could have gotten 300), deadlift 345, and overhead press id say about 155-165. Reason I can't do canditos is because I don't hAve time to squat and deadlift in the same day.

I'm 21, and I recently got a construction job. I want to lift in the morning but I have a hour at max. Could someone recommend a good program for me? I want to go off percentages. I looked online just couldn't seem to find one I liked. Thanks in advance guys.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Reason I can't do canditos is because I don't hAve time to squat and deadlift in the same day.
Well, just off the top of my head, lots of guys do not squat and dead on the same day. Many do well separating the 2 lifts thru the week and even waving the intensities on those lifts throughout the cycle.
I am only vaguely familiar with Jonnie's specific training (although I think he is pretty good with some DL setups and practices for improving form, ROM, and thus strength, etc.
Perhaps his 6 week program could be dragged out longer by doing the dead and squat on separate days of the week with some pressing in between to get recovery on the pos. chain.
I can see if one is going to try and do this heavy stuff before work too, (especially a physical job like construction) to perhaps keep the lifting to one major and maybe an assistance on each day. (at least that is what I would do, or have done) as the construc. job itself, will most likely have you doing more GP stuff and or carrying type stuff etc.
Even a set up like Dan John's one lift a day comes to mind.
At 21, and if you have not put a great deal of work into getting stronger on lower rep multi set stuff, I might think you would have room to advance pretty well keeping things simple with more focused work on a few of the compound and or PL lifts thru the week.
Strength is built by progression, overload, recovery, eating and resting properly. There are many ways and routines to accomplish that, from simple old pyramids, to 5/3/1, to basic 5x5's and on and on

Its Raider

Its Raider

Awards
Gonna start s little series to keep me motivated and let everyone including myself see the progress

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I loved 5/3/1 and Cube was pretty brutal if you can handle the high volume