Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
I am doing a routine of 5x5 with

bench
Over head
Pull ups
Deadlift
Nothing else. Worried that front delta are going to be killed and back delta will look horrible or am I over thinking ....ps I am considering my self a beginner ..and not squaring due to ankle injury (surgery not long ago)

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why not add in some rear felt work then? Even some pull aparts.

Why no lower days?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Buy a mini band and do 100 facepulls and 100 pullaparts in each session. Problem solved.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Ankle is still not right ...had arthroscopic surgery....so taking time on squats and stuff. And thank you

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ankle is still not right ...had arthroscopic surgery....so taking time on squats and stuff. And thank you
Would still do leg extensions and curls
Should not impact your ankle at all.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
I am doing a routine of 5x5 with

bench
Over head
Pull ups
Deadlift
Nothing else. Worried that front delta are going to be killed and back delta will look horrible or am I over thinking ....ps I am considering my self a beginner ..and not squaring due to ankle injury (surgery not long ago)
Pull ups should hit your rear delts plenty but as mentioned above, throw in some rear felt work if you want. IE reverse flys, face pulls etc..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pull ups should hit your rear delts plenty but as mentioned above, throw in some rear felt work if you want. IE reverse flys, face pulls etc..
Pull-ups hit the internal rotators and the posterior delt is an external rotator. Pull-ups don't train the rear delts.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
Pull-ups hit the internal rotators and the posterior delt is an external rotator. Pull-ups don't train the rear delts.
So you don't get any rear delt stimulation from pull-ups? I could've sworn you did. When I do pull ups, I feel my rear delts being activated. I know it's not a rear delt exercise per-say.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Do you have access to a GHR? And perhaps consider a very high boxsquat added in as well. A 1/3 squat is actually better than nothing IMO if you stick to more volume vs getting nuts with the weight, and hopefully you can slowly work the box height down over time. Have a box and then stack mats or plates on top to build it up, then very slowly take layers off as you heal.

I'm not a doctor, but that is what I would do.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So you don't get any rear delt stimulation from pull-ups? I could've sworn you did. When I do pull ups, I feel my rear delts being activated. I know it's not a rear delt exercise per-say.
They act as a stabilizer (lower traps as well), but not as a mover.