5x5 gain size also?

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Working on getting my strength back up ...had a ankle surgery that set me back.. But more into getting big also want to look good ...will the 5x5 workout be good ..don't want to waste time

Killcure666

Awards
Yes, you will. Generally speaking a larger muscle is a stronger muscle and a stronger muscle is a larger muscle.

5 x 5 would trigger a specific type of Hypertrophy called myofibril Hypertrophy which will result in more actin and myosin proteins in the muscle cells. This leads to bigger stronger muscle. This type of Hypertrophy gives harder larger muscles

Higher repetitions tend to stimulate Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy which is an increase in intracellular organelles and fluids which increases the size of the muscle and its metabolic capabilities but not necessarily the strength.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Ok I worn get bodybuilder big but I will get bigger. I am only working out with 180 on bench and 225 squat ... Nothing impressive just was curious

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Getting larger, has a good bit to do with eating enough while you are training.
What is your diet like?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, you will. Generally speaking a larger muscle is a stronger muscle and a stronger muscle is a larger muscle.

5 x 5 would trigger a specific type of Hypertrophy called myofibril Hypertrophy which will result in more actin and myosin proteins in the muscle cells. This leads to bigger stronger muscle. This type of Hypertrophy gives harder larger muscles

Higher repetitions tend to stimulate Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy which is an increase in intracellular organelles and fluids which increases the size of the muscle and its metabolic capabilities but not necessarily the strength.
Myofibrillar hypertrophy results in very little size gains. This route is nearly 100% towards strength.

Brandaddy

Brandaddy

Awards
Working on getting my strength back up ...had a ankle surgery that set me back.. But more into getting big also want to look good ...will the 5x5 workout be good ..don't want to waste time
As stated before, you can definitely gain some size from 5x5, it will mostly come down to the stress put on your muscles, and diet. If you continually progress on weights, you will get stronger, and if you eat enough to gain weight, you will grow.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Myofibrillar hypertrophy results in very little size gains. This route is nearly 100% towards strength.
So would it be better to work my 4 major lifts as 5x5 then fill in some spots with some 4 sets of 12 to get some size as well

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Getting larger, has a good bit to do with eating enough while you are training.
What is your diet like?
I made a couple changes. I cut carbs down I am carb sensitive but keep my protein around 250 to 280. I am 5 foot 6 180 right now. Body fat around 20%

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
So would it be better to work my 4 major lifts as 5x5 then fill in some spots with some 4 sets of 12 to get some size as well
I would have more than just the 4 biggies on 5x5 absolutely, with size as the goal.
You'll want more symmetry too I assume as you grow so accessory lifts are a must IMO.

You can 5x5 and add hypertrophy programming in the same sessions if you wish but program this smart.
Or you could customize a PHAT style schedule where you hit each group heavy and for hypertrophy each week.

I've done both methods under various program titles several times and enjoy both.

As an example from my leg day yesterday I warmed up and worked up to 90% 1RM squat in 30 minutes.
Lift went for 90 minutes, I worked down to a 10x10 and lit my legs on fire. Got in 15 sets of squats and plenty of accessory and higher rep work. Super Setting was done only after hitting my heavy lifts (always beginning of workout after warming up, need the mental and physical drive to lift heavy)

But,
I've been doing these power/hypertrophy splits for years and am comfortable customizing.
I'd highly suggest following a proven program template if you are new to them

And listen to this Rodja character, one of AM's best for programming and someone whose input I usually stalk and read around here

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
I Am limited on my equipment ..have a bench press/ squat each combo (not a cage) and some dumbells in my garage ...so that's one reason i went to the 5x5 was simple and worked for what I had ... For sure you guys are freaking gods on here I look up to all of you experienced guys here ... I first started off thinking of doing 5sets of 10 I want to be seriously big ... I want to see peopleb6 months from now and then think wow he got big as sh*t

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
P.s I work shift work and sons in sports so time is limited on going to a gym. I am buying a couple things to make a simple gym at home

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Rocking a home gym here too for busy days (a lot recently)

A decent bar, dumbell bars, and weight plates are really all that you "need" to grow

+ a caloric surplus of course.

What do you have to work with?

A half-rack is $ very well spent to start out, for Squats/Bench

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
It's a bench in one side and then a squat rack n the back side ... Nothing fancy. 300lbs of weight and two dumbbell bars. And limited space due to wife s crap i garage lol

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Is it a machine?
Like a Weider station or something?

If so, Built in weight stack?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Free weight, perfect.

You should have just about all you need really.

Throw a matt down anywhere you have space for deadlifting, you can row off that bench, probably even a good height for Overhead press if you drop the bench and sit backwards on the "squatting side"

What were you thinking of grabbing additionally?

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Would like something for lats I think I need more volume tho

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Well volume is decided by the workout not the equipment, you have free weights so no real limits

If you want a lat pulldown they take more space.
For a while I just had a wire and pulley on my parents garage ceiling, hooked a stack to the other end and that was no space taken at all.

Definitely grab a cheap pull-up bar, space saver and easy to make progression on if you get advanced enough for weighted

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bingo. This is a good plan.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
Driven2lift has provided some solid advice. Regarding your gym, you have everything you need. You could pull off 100s of moves, not trying to overwhelm you, just letting you know you have room to grow. Google calisthenic workouts, that would also give you some secondary movements to work in... definitely helps with functional fitness if you are interested in that.

As other guys mentioned, 5x5 will help with strength, but its not going to get you swollen. Your combo approach is a great way to go. For example, on chest day l lift heavy on flat (10,8,6,4,1). Then go lighter on incline, flies, and dips using 10-12 reps. Last thing, I would say at least 60% of success is going to come from diet. If you want to get bigger, eat about 500 calories above you maintenance weight... OR, figure out your target weight, and begin eating at that calorie range.

enraged_chris

Awards
Someone with your lifts will put on significant size by following a program like 5x5. You can always throw in some curls or some hypertrophy specific work once you are deeper into the program.