Squat/Deadlift Day

Yanks

Awards
  • Established
First a little background I was about a year ago at 230 pounds did a bunch of hiit cross fit etc and I dropped all the way down to 172 I'm trying to increase strength everything I had been lifting was for circuit sets or high intensity. My priority is strength first and then size. I've actually already put on about 13-14 pounds while being on 1-andro/epiandro cycle. I'm squatting benching deadlifting and doing accessory work for my routine bench is 5x5, squats are sets of 10 normally 5x10 sometimes 10x10 or an ending set of 20 squats , and deadlifts are less volume with sets of 10-8-6 and a few heavy single reps but not max. My question is how to split days for squats and deadlifts to get appropriate recovery time, and also possibly suggestions on reps and sets for deadlifts and squats?

Thanks if I didn't give enough information or anything sorry ahead of time.

elmatth1

Awards
Look into a proven program, like Wendlers 5/3/1. I've been on that routine for a couple months using the boring but big variation and my strength is going up steadily on all four lifts.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
+1 for changing up your squat and deadlift programming to 531 or something similar. Your strength isn't going to progress as quickly with sets of 10.

Yanks

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the suggestion. I will switch to 531 program for squats/deadlifts I'm going to keep at 5x5 for bench because I've been having steady strength increases.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for posting that i have a pdf but it's 2-300 pages. So tell me if I got this straight, for the first week 3x70% then 80& 90. On the 90% try to push for 4,5,6 reps etc?
It depends which one you ran.

I recently came off 531 SVR. I used 75% of my 1RM as my "100%" to start each 24 week cycle. Originally I would AMRAP each top set but after a year and a half the AMRAPs weren't as effective after week 8-12, or so. So on 3's week I'd do several sets of 3, on 5's week I'd AMRAP the down sets, and singles week I'd either hit a few doubles or several singles at whatever % around 90% (usually 90+). After each 531 rotation lower would go up +10# and upper +5#.

I have an excel sheet for this template I could send you. You plug I. Your maxes and it will calculate your training max, warmups, and progression each week.

Yanks

Awards
  • Established
It depends which one you ran.

I recently came off 531 SVR. I used 75% of my 1RM as my "100%" to start each 24 week cycle. Originally I would AMRAP each top set but after a year and a half the AMRAPs weren't as effective after week 8-12, or so. So on 3's week I'd do several sets of 3, on 5's week I'd AMRAP the down sets, and singles week I'd either hit a few doubles or several singles at whatever % around 90% (usually 90+). After each 531 rotation lower would go up +10# and upper +5#.

I have an excel sheet for this template I could send you. You plug I. Your maxes and it will calculate your training max, warmups, and progression each week.
Yes Thankyou I appreciate that. I'm going to pm you my email.

THE MONSTAR

THE MONSTAR

Awards
  • Established
I would look into the juggernaut training method. If you go to their website you can get a free template from Chad Wesley Smith. Great program with a nice balance of heavy lifting and volume. The thing about programming is a mediocre program ran with 100% effort and intensity will always trump a program that is half assed and not believed in. Just show up and give it your all and you will make progress. Yes, it is important to research what you are doing and always strive to get better, but half the battle is putting in the work.

Yanks

Awards
  • Established
I would look into the juggernaut training method. If you go to their website you can get a free template from Chad Wesley Smith. Great program with a nice balance of heavy lifting and volume. The thing about programming is a mediocre program ran with 100% effort and intensity will always trump a program that is half assed and not believed in. Just show up and give it your all and you will make progress. Yes, it is important to research what you are doing and always strive to get better, but half the battle is putting in the work.
Yeah your right man. And cool I heard him on Mark bells power cast forgot to look into that. I'm doing 5x5 for squat and bench but deadlift I'm not really following a set routine I just try to increase reps/weight every workout. But thanks I'm going to check it out for sure and the rest of his site.