Strength without weight gain.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Can't find much on the interwebs regarding this. Would all gains need to be CNS related since you aren't getting bigger muscles to make stronger. Would things like explosive strength (ie dead stop presses and push press) be staples. Along with heavy rack lock outs like the vanilla gorilla suggests along with legends like chuck sipes. And the main work being sets of no more than 5 reps and no less than 80%? Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
By main work I mean regular benches and the things like dead stop benches, push press, and rack lock outs/isoholds with supra maximal weight would be assistance work

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you are talking about max single strength or thereabouts, then I am in agreement that loads along the lines of the Prilepin chart, works quite well.
80%+ of 1 RM's and the use of multi sets, longer rest periods, etc. have been advocated by many.
I think the CNS is going to play a role, no matter what. It is hard to separate the body into parts only. Other factors might include, fiber or receptor responses, certain chemicals/hormones being more present at times. Making your technique etc. nearly perfect.
Can one, so call, pinken the slower twitch fibers to recruit more quickly!? Speed work and accommodating resistance can seem to play a part here as well.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
If you are talking about max single strength or thereabouts, then I am in agreement that loads along the lines of the Prilepin chart, works quite well.
80%+ of 1 RM's and the use of multi sets, longer rest periods, etc. have been advocated by many.
I think the CNS is going to play a role, no matter what. It is hard to separate the body into parts only. Other factors might include, fiber or receptor responses, certain chemicals/hormones being more present at times. Making your technique etc. nearly perfect.
Can one, so call, pinken the slower twitch fibers to recruit more quickly!? Speed work and accommodating resistance can seem to play a part here as well.
So would say, finding your 1RM with bands and then using 80-85+% for fast singles be a better way of "targeting" CNS training than say regular singles of 80-85+% of straight bar weight 1RM?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
So would say, finding your 1RM with bands and then using 80-85+% for fast singles be a better way of "targeting" CNS training than say regular singles of 80-85+% of straight bar weight 1RM?
Ha ha. I wish I could write you a simple exact method to use and say boom, that will work perfectly for you.
I know some guys can do grinders and recover.
I know others who get trampled by them and steer clear.
I wish I could say specifically "x works" much better than "y" and I can show you... But I can't.
I think to put the "central nervous system" into a simple box is impossible, thus far.
That IMO, is why some guys can benefit from say, speed work/dynamic work in conjunction with max effort.
Others think it is not worth their while and still kill it on the platform.
Speed work specifically employs lesser max loads than you mention ie: 50%-60% of max, adding accommodating resistance (bands or chains) to slow or increase the resistance near lockout, or perhaps the easier ROM in the lift, stopping after a certain speed of the lift cannot be maintained. Usually 1-3 reps seems most used.
Other guys have used an RPE (rate of perceived exertion) scale, to gauge/control intensity output.
These are more advanced methods, but have shone some success for the lifters who used them.

Where to start?
I dunno!? Prilipen's table maybe (It seems kinda versatile for most, at least at the start)
Can you get and read a copy of "Supertraining" by Mel Siff.
Trial and error has worked for me, (but as I have stated, I am not a tech guy, more old school) as most if not all trainees have used themselves as guinea pigs.
What works for me, might not for you and vice versa
Hope that helps!?

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
It did! Thanks for the advice bro beans