Power loss on weight loss

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
I've been losing weight for over 2 years, and I feel good but my strength has taken a nose dive. I'm not complaining of course just wondering what would you recommend for gaining back some strength other than getting as fat as a house again. I've gone from easily repping out with 495 on squats to squeazing out 5s with 365. (I used to be 485lbs and just hit 249lbs). If this is what it is I'm thankful and ok. I'd just like to make sure there's nothing I'm missing.
Any and all advice is appreciated.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First off, congrats on the wt loss...!
As far as what to do now!?, I can't see why the training you did to get your squat so high, would only work for you at a really heavy weight. Or the food was solely responsible for your greater strength!?
How heavy were you when you started/? And what routine(s) did you use to get as strong as you did?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Generally when you cut you lose strength. Most people lose a little strength when they cut a little body fat and drop their cals. Losing 240 lbs will definitely result in a huge drop off in strength but man that's awesome. Congratulations! I'd just keep lifting heavy and eventually your strength will start to improve.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
First off, congrats on the wt loss...!
As far as what to do now!?, I can't see why the training you did to get your squat so high, would only work for you at a really heavy weight. Or the food was solely responsible for your greater strength!?
How heavy were you when you started/? And what routine(s) did you use to get as strong as you did?
Thanks! I was an old school Super Squats guy originally - 1x20 once a week adding some weight every week and finishing th 20 no matter what. When I plateaued at abot 405 I switched to hi volume which worked for me for a long time. I hung around comfortably at 320 lbs for a long time till my weight crept up.
Im thinking of going real hi volume for a while. Im just weighting to finish my cut (going for 225 - will see) and get to it.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
Generally when you cut you lose strength. Most people lose a little strength when they cut a little body fat and drop their cals. Losing 240 lbs will definitely result in a huge drop off in strength but man that's awesome. Congratulations! I'd just keep lifting heavy and eventually your strength will start to improve.
Thanks!
I expected a strength drop of some sort, but the amount caught me by surprise. I'm just gonna keep on it.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was an old school Super Squats guy originally - 1x20 once a week adding some weight every week and finishing th 20 no matter what.
Totally get it. I was a Dr Ken, Randy Strossen high repper in deads and squats years ago myself. I know it built mass, some hard core work ethic and capacity, but not my absolute best single max strength, ymmv. I seemed to be able to do better with multi sets of x5's, x3's x2's and 1x's. Not saying one is better than the other, but as far as my goals are concerned, I'm chasing more heavy singles nowadays. Along with the lower rep numbers, I still have seen gains in mass, work capacity and of course overall strength.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
I hear you. I've been more or less alternating between 10s and 5s. Not ready to go for singles or even triples yet, but I'm working towards it