Hips rising too fast on deadlift?

Tanner125

Tanner125

Awards
Hey guys, im having trouble trying to correct my form on the deadlift. Im fairly new to deadlifting but really want to improve on it in any way i can . Im 179 lbs and i max out deadlift at 420 lbs. i tend to straighten my legs before my back and it really looks like a straight leg deadlift.i haven't hurt my lower back, but I really don't want to because I'm really trying to progress with deadlift. Any of you guys have any suggestions i can try to fix this? Maybe its just a weaker back or legs? I did my first competition yesterday that i wasn't ready for at all , but id really like to get competitive and i feel like my form could be holding me back. Please fill me in on what is should focus on and things i should try , thank you! I tried posting a video but it says i need at least 20 posts before i can post media?

rreal_natty

rreal_natty

Awards
Hey guys, im having trouble trying to correct my form on the deadlift. Im fairly new to deadlifting but really want to improve on it in any way i can . Im 179 lbs and i max out deadlift at 420 lbs. i tend to straighten my legs before my back and it really looks like a straight leg deadlift.i haven't hurt my lower back, but I really don't want to because I'm really trying to progress with deadlift. Any of you guys have any suggestions i can try to fix this? Maybe its just a weaker back or legs? I did my first competition yesterday that i wasn't ready for at all , but id really like to get competitive and i feel like my form could be holding me back. Please fill me in on what is should focus on and things i should try , thank you! I tried posting a video but it says i need at least 20 posts before i can post media?
How's your squat?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You need to think about pushing your heels down through the floor and falling back, rather than trying to pick the bar up off of the floor.

Tanner125

Tanner125

Awards
I squat twice a week but i usually do more reps and focus on going deep rather than alot of heavy weight because i feel my form goes bad. But i have squatted 10 reps with 225 before and yes i have tried driving with my heels before like you said but as soon as i start trying to lift it and drive, my back arches and my legs straighten first

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I squat twice a week but i usually do more reps and focus on going deep rather than alot of heavy weight because i feel my form goes bad. But i have squatted 10 reps with 225 before and yes i have tried driving with my heels before like you said but as soon as i start trying to lift it and drive, my back arches and my legs straighten first
Tighten your lats, fill your core with air, and pull back harder then. Keep posting and then put up a video and we'll know more.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Technique...! This used to happen to me and Rippetoe wrote about this in SS. I thought it was a weakness thing too, but I think it is more learning and making yourself keep the hips down. That way you strengthen the muscles and feel the order they need to fire. (Just like not letting your knees come in when you squat. Just don't do it) Keeping the bar close to you (since if the hips rise first, the weight wants to swing forward and or you are moving your hips and the bar farther from your center of gravity.) and doing the movement in the proper line/chain of order and it is an all in one motion to lockout. The bar breaks the floor the knees begin to straighten, the hips come forward (more towards the bar not away) and up and the torso straightens all in one fluid motion. That way, the bar path is straight and most likely the shortest path, Which is what you want.
I would bet you can do the move properly with lighter weights!?, so you just have to learn the discipline to keep the hips down (keep drilling it with lighter loads until the feel and order is second nature) and build the strength and heavier loads from there.
It can be humbling to have to drop the weight back some, but it works. I know.
Also, Herder stuff is always good practice too.

karthi2play

Awards
Technique...! This used to happen to me and Rippetoe wrote about this in SS. I thought it was a weakness thing too, but I think it is more learning and making yourself keep the hips down. That way you strengthen the muscles and feel the order they need to fire. (Just like not letting your knees come in when you squat. Just don't do it) Keeping the bar close to you (since if the hips rise first, the weight wants to swing forward and or you are moving your hips and the bar farther from your center of gravity.) and doing the movement in the proper line/chain of order and it is an all in one motion to lockout. The bar breaks the floor the knees begin to straighten, the hips come forward (more towards the bar not away) and up and the torso straightens all in one fluid motion. That way, the bar path is straight and most likely the shortest path, Which is what you want.
I would bet you can do the move properly with lighter weights!?, so you just have to learn the discipline to keep the hips down (keep drilling it with lighter loads until the feel and order is second nature) and build the strength and heavier loads from there.
This helps alot

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good to hear from you, Paul!

OP this is sound advice.

Tanner125

Tanner125

Awards
Thanks a lot paul, i really appreciate the advice! I am 6'3.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks a lot paul, i really appreciate the advice! I am 6'3.
Your hips are going to be higher than most due to your height. The main thing is to make sure you have a straight line from your shoulders to the bar and that you're using the bar to wedge yourself into position. The "usual" technique cues on deadlift could leave your hips too far behind you and throwing off your leverage.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Your hips are going to be higher than most due to your height. The main thing is to make sure you have a straight line from your shoulders to the bar and that you're using the bar to wedge yourself into position. The "usual" technique cues on deadlift could leave your hips too far behind you and throwing off your leverage.
Delightful advice. Kudos to Rodja

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, Rodja's point is a good one and quite valid, as in differing body types and structures (ie: tall, heavy, thin, short, long waist, short arms etc. etc) may all have a contributing factor to your initial pulling style and leverages. There are quite a few guys who pull with higher set hips, or even a straight leg style. IMO, it would be best to learn a more standard bent legged form, (at least first) and see what works best for you over some time put in.

I think the difference to what you are describing and the thing to remember is, where or when you start the actual pull, you should have/see the bar moving up first and foremost and straight up in one continuous motion to lockout as the body/musculature sticks the form. If the hips move up first, or the legs straighten before the bar leaves the floor, or if the bar comes off then stalls some and other body parts move without the bar moving, you most likely have some work to do on form, control and again getting strong in the right order of movement.

I think the most important thing to remember is that the "muscles" are always in control of the movement, form and the weights and not the skeleton or ligaments, tendons etc. By this I mean, if your form caves to where your control of the weight at any time is compromised or is resting on structure, then the lift will most likely fail, or perhaps you may sustain an injury.

Congrats on your first comp, and did you get any feedback from any of the other lifters at the meet?

cutandrun

cutandrun

Awards
On YouTube you can look up bodybuildingrev and they have powerlifting workshops and one specifically for deadlift. They are just over an hour long but Patrick mainart will go through everything from proper warm-up to detailed instruction of the entire movement. He is a expert in Neuro science based lifting. After watching it you will know how your specific body is built and how you should lift for your body comp. Highly recommend it but as a beginner you may have to watch it a few times as the years go on to cruelly understand all the information he gives.