Chris T's journey to powerlifting

Page 2 of 12 First 1234 ... Last

1. IN!

Quote Originally Posted by christ83189 View Post
    The way i see it if your body feels up to it, do it. Im eating a ton and my body recovers pretty well even from my highest volume days so i feel that its ok.
    Honestly brother volume is completely relative to the individual and their genetic response just as intensity, frequency, food selection, gear selection, etc.

As long as your periodization is properly in lined with your goals and doesn't conflict, your good to go

2. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Too

Much

Volume...
    Check out Dmax's log lol
    Training log:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by BeastFitness View Post
    IN!

Honestly brother volume is completely relative to the individual and their genetic response just as intensity, frequency, food selection, gear selection, etc.

As long as your periodization is properly in lined with your goals and doesn't conflict, your good to go
    Thanks man i was waiting for someone to back me up on that lol. I dont feel like its too much volume.

4. It really depends on what stage of training you're in. If you're peaking for a contest, then yeah, thats too much volume on the non-comp lifts. But, if you're just base building and getting bigger and stronger then do however much volume as your individual recovery allows.
    Training log:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

5. Quote Originally Posted by christ83189 View Post
    Thanks man i was waiting for someone to back me up on that lol. I dont feel like its too much volume.
    Yep. Individual. My genetics allow me to grow at a very high volume so I'm in the similar boat

Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    It really depends on what stage of training you're in
    Yes! Relative to the individual. One person's acclimation phase COULD be another person's overreaching phase…depends
    •   

6. Had kinda a bit of a headache today and ran out of preworkout. Not a good combo. Anyways wasnt feeling it today. Did some squats after warming up.

135x10
    185x8
    225x5
    275x5
    315x5
    315x5
    275x5
    225x8
    185x10

20 min on stairclimber.

Then my wife was waiting for me there so i took that as my cue to call it good.

7. Quote Originally Posted by christ83189 View Post
    Had kinda a bit of a headache today and ran out of preworkout. Not a good combo. Anyways wasnt feeling it today. Did some squats after warming up.

135x10
    185x8
    225x5
    275x5
    315x5
    315x5
    275x5
    225x8
    185x10

20 min on stairclimber.

Then my wife was waiting for me there so i took that as my cue to call it good.
    Yep when the wife is waiting there for you it is pretty much time to go. I got to the point I told my wife if she thought she were going to finish before me she needed to take a separate car. I was tired of getting the look when she was done before me.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html

8. My wife is always done before me. Now I just tell her when I'm going to have a >hour session and she'll do cardio at home.
    “Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. ... lead them by your own good example.” 1 Peter‬ 5:2-3‬

9. Well she had gone to a chiropractor appt and i wasted time when she dropped me off waiting for a buddy of mine to lift with. I ended up just lifting by myself but i wasted too much time and she was waiting for me by the time i finished squats.

10. Shes pregnant and this pregnancy has been really hard on her so she hasnt been able to work out for a while so i usually just go alone.

11. It sucks when you are used to working out with your wife and something happens that breaks that up. It really is such great quality time once you figure it all out.
    Current Training Log -

12. That being said... CONGRATULATIONS on the pregnancy!
    Current Training Log -

13. Thanks bro . We have two boys and this is our first girl. Exciting. But yeah we actually used to do crossfit together. Shes probably gonna go back to that. Im not though. Doing crossfit im in awesome condition but i cant keep size and strength the way i like. Cant afford to eat enough doing that lol

14. Quote Originally Posted by christ83189 View Post
    Thanks bro . We have two boys and this is our first girl. Exciting. But yeah we actually used to do crossfit together. Shes probably gonna go back to that. Im not though. Doing crossfit im in awesome condition but i cant keep size and strength the way i like. Cant afford to eat enough doing that lol
    Yeah, just keep some metcons and WOD in there for general conditioning here and there and you should be solid. I try to do a mix of jumps, bodyweight work, and a lot of barbell work for the big 3. I just recently started getting my general athleticism back and don't want to lose it in the quest for strength. Hard to keep focus on all those aspects at once but it works.
    Current Training Log -

15. Yeah ive been slacking on conditioning the last couple weeks. Need to bring that back.

16. So the day before yesterday i worked out with a buddy of mine and he made me do abs. ( I hate doing abs) so yesteday and today my abs have been crazy sore. Decided to focus on abs at least twice a week cause this sucks lol.

Work out today-

Got some preworkout last night thank god. Anyways...

Flat bench

135x10
    185x8
    225x8
    225x8
    245x5
    255x4
    245x5
    225x5
    185x8

Incline bench (my incline lifts are not proportional to my flat bench so ive been working on it alot more lately)

135x10
    155x8
    185x5
    225x1 (yikes)
    205x3
    185x5
    155x5

CGBP (these and the dips are here to try to get my dumb triceps to grow... My triceps are pretty lame for someone that can bench over 3 plates)
    135x10
    185x8
    225x6
    185x8
    135x10

Weighted dips/ ss with close crip EZ bar curls

BW+45x8/90x8
    BW+45x8/90x8
    BW+90x6/90x8
    BW+90x6/90x8
    BW+45x8/90x8

Flat bench DB press/ss DB lat pullover

90x8/95x8
    90x8/95x8
    90x8/95x8

2 sets 15 v-ups then realized my 2 hours of day care were up. So that was it. Plus my abs still really hurt lol

Thanks for reading

17. Quote Originally Posted by christ83189 View Post
    Yeah ive been slacking on conditioning the last couple weeks. Need to bring that back.
    Yes, it is one of those things that is fleeting if you do not keep it up. There is simply something to be said about being ready for just about anything and physically capable of performing well throughout a myriad of activities. When that conditioning drops and the body weight stuff starts slipping I really miss being able to do it.
    Current Training Log -

18. I'm in. That's one hell of a nice bench you've got.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

19. Quote Originally Posted by christ83189 View Post
    The way i see it if your body feels up to it, do it. Im eating a ton and my body recovers pretty well even from my highest volume days so i feel that its ok.
    Look up Prilepin's chart. That's research based on thousands of successful lifters. Much more accurate than what you feel like. You're trying to build a house in one training session, where in reality the house is built over a period of years with one training session being one brick.

You don't wanna blow it out one week, have a zhitty week, then deload because you feel bad. That's one good week out of three. You're looking for about 40 good weeks in a year.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

20. Quote Originally Posted by christ83189 View Post
    So the day before yesterday i worked out with a buddy of mine and he made me do abs. ( I hate doing abs) so yesteday and today my abs have been crazy sore. Decided to focus on abs at least twice a week cause this sucks lol.
    I stopped doing direct ab work over a year and a half ago. Recently I picked it back up, and like you, it sucked. lol

However, the core bracing on squats and ohp have been so much stronger. I'm hoping the added core strength gives me a little more boost on my numbers.
    “Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. ... lead them by your own good example.” 1 Peter‬ 5:2-3‬

21. Quote Originally Posted by RegisterJr View Post
    I stopped doing direct ab work over a year and a half ago. Recently I picked it back up, and like you, it sucked. lol

However, the core bracing on squats and ohp have been so much stronger. I'm hoping the added core strength gives me a little more boost on my numbers.
    Thats kinda the same idea i had too

22. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    I'm in. That's one hell of a nice bench you've got.
    Thanks man. Glad to have you.

23. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Look up Prilepin's chart. That's research based on thousands of successful lifters. Much more accurate than what you feel like. You're trying to build a house in one training session, where in reality the house is built over a period of years with one training session being one brick.

You don't wanna blow it out one week, have a zhitty week, then deload because you feel bad. That's one good week out of three. You're looking for about 40 good weeks in a year.
    Thank you ill look that up this morning. Ive seen you on other logs giving advice and it seems like your two cents is worth a little more than that. Im open to any advice.

24. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post

That table, do i just apply that to the big 3?

25. Two new PR'S today.

Back squat

135x10
    225x8
    315x5
    +belt
    365x3
    385x1
    405x1
    415x1 (pr)
    385x2
    365x3