USAPL meets vs records?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

Curious to know, how to your individual meets typically go weight wise compared to the records in your local area?

For example, I look and see that theirs a record for my competition weight class at like 600 lbs deadlift, but it looks like the local meets are only hitting low 400's tops. Is this the kind of gap you see regularly in your competitions?

Just trying to feel it out as I'm a physique / classic physique competitor thinking about throwing in some USAPL fun too.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You never know who is going to show up. I've seen meets where the 198# winner had a 1270 total, and I've seen meets where the third place 198# guy had a 1450 total. And both were just little local meets.

Powerlifting also has classification standards that categorize each lifter's current abilities. There are classes 1-4, master class, and elite. Elite is top 1%, master top 10%, and each class from then on down is about 25%. They correspond with numbers to show you kind of where you stand at present. The classification shows you the probability of certain feats, though. For instance, it's likely You will see a guy that's say 181 deadlift 500+ pounds at your meet, it's not likely that you'll see a 165 pull 600. So you get a feel for what to expect, keeping in mind that rule #1 is that you never know exactly who is going to show up.

I hope that all made sense to you.