Beyond 5/3/1

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Hey everybody PostalMuscle here! I have some questions regarding the program I'm running the 27week boring but big template.

As of today I just finished week 2. Today I did deadlifts and my top set at 90% with 390lbs was for 3+ reps. My first attempt I couldn't get the weight to budge it went up about an inch or two. I got pissed then readjusted my belt and pulled it for 5. My question is why did this happen. I sometimes feel as i get to the top sets the weights get almost unbearable to where my form gives. I'm no stranger to hardwork so obviously heavy weights aren't gonna be easy but why does it feel like more than it weighs?

i do my 5/3/1 working sets then I finish with 5x10@ 50% as my accessory. What other accessories can I do to strengthen my pull. Squats/OHP/Bench feel on track. Also working for the Post Office having to walk everyday for up to 8hrs if not more could this be a factor? Any suggestions for working around that?

If you can help, I'd appreciate it. Just a mailman trying to be jacked and tan!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It would be hard to say without seeing a video. There must be a form breakdown somewhere.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
No video at the moment, I'll get one next week when I do my deads again. But what I can tell you is I have my toes pointed out slightly and my hips slightly high with a straight back slightly bent at the hips. Bar is hitting the shins prior to the pull. I was pulling the bar a lot with my arms and back and I've finally gotten it back to where I don't yank my arms and just stand up using everything from calves to hamis, to ass to back then arms.

Caleb87

Awards
How's this going for you now? Just a thought but if you only hit 5 on your 3's week you may want to consider lowering your tm. I know it's humbling but it will pay off big time over the course of the 27 weeks. Personally I wouldn't add anything to answer your last question.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Regarding my last question i had one of the PTs in my gym check my form and he said it was up to par. He advised the pain/ struggle I had could just be from the constant boxes I'm moving in and out the truck. Can I have you clarify on how much I should lower my tm? Like today was my 5/3/1 (week 3 of 27). Today was squats and top set was at 95% 365lbs for 3. Deads and squats been tough but bench and OHP have been up to par. I was burned out today after my last set of squats for 75% at 290

Caleb87

Awards
You could lower it to 85 or even 80. The bbb 27 week "challenge" is very tough and strenuous. It only gets harder!! You will, in my opinion, likely burn out before completion of the tm isn't lowered. Especially with the 8 hour job. I know it may seem crazy to drop that low but think long term.

Edit: only lower tm on squat and deads as you say the bench and pho are doing fine

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
True, last thing I need to do is jack myself where I can't even do my job. Now with dropping the tm that low do I continue on with week and so on so forth or do I start fresh again from week one? You said on my 3s week when I was hitting 5, what is my goal for the last set for each week? In jims book I read where the last set should be goaled towards 20reps is this what I shooting for?

Caleb87

Awards
Don't start over. Just change and move forward. There is really no set number but I've read a post by Jim that said most shoot for 10 on the 5s, 8 on the 3s and 5 on the 531. However bbb's main goal is size so keep that in mind. And to just really confuse you lol you could keep tms and only do the rx'd amout of reps and put the work in to the bbb stuff. Just another option.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Rx'd? You mean on 5s just hit 5, 3s hit 3 and so on? Now I'm on the bbb first five weeks are 5x10@ 50%. Obviously cranking those out as quick and powerful as possible. Is it bad that I do additional accessories after my working sets and bbb sets?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't start over. Just change and move forward. There is really no set number but I've read a post by Jim that said most shoot for 10 on the 5s, 8 on the 3s and 5 on the 531. However bbb's main goal is size so keep that in mind. And to just really confuse you lol you could keep tms and only do the rx'd amout of reps and put the work in to the bbb stuff. Just another option.
Those are the numbers I aim for, but they aren't realistic for an entire training cycle. Pulling 75%x10, 85x8, and 95%x5 puts you in PR city, every week. These are my percentages for AMRAPs, so a lowered percent or tm may make it more plausible.

Rx'd? You mean on 5s just hit 5, 3s hit 3 and so on? Now I'm on the bbb first five weeks are 5x10@ 50%. Obviously cranking those out as quick and powerful as possible. Is it bad that I do additional accessories after my working sets and bbb sets?
I prefer AMRAPs, but lottsa dudes do this. Top set hit the Rx (prescribed) reps for a few sets.

No, nothing wrong on additional accessory.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I'll have to give it a go. When you say top and going Rx reps you do that for a couple sets, with everything else around that would I be the line too much volume/ overtraining?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That depends on how you personally recover. Your body will tell you when you're doing too much.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
With this program I've been taking 1-2 rest days between workouts just to be fresh and ready to kill it each time

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If that works for you then roll with it.

Mine looks like this, rest days when needed.

DL
BENCH/Sh
SQUAT
Upper BACK
BENCH/Sh
Front Squats

Typically I *need* 1-2 rest days a week.

Today was deads, and I did

Leg curls SS w/ BW squats 4x10, explosive with 1m rests

Deadlifts 190/245x5, 285x3, 345/390x3, 430x7

6 sets meadows rows

4 supersets of banded hammer strength PullDown x12 and straight arm lat PullDown x10.

I'll be good to go for the next few without a day off, likely.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Damn that sounds killer man! Props to the top set!!

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
And I assume your bench/ sh days and the same each day when it comes to the template percentages?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And I assume your bench/ sh days and the same each day when it comes to the template percentages?
This is my current routine:

In the past I'd do my 531 benching the first day with some chest shoulder accessory. Then, OHP 531 the next day with some chest accessory. In the last year my OHP progressed very little, so this go round I'm going to change it up. First day will be same or similar, but the second I'll do a chest dominate speed/pump day. Probably just use a Mountain Dog Chest/Shoulder routine those days.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Since I'm getting lots of great ideas on here I'm going to start logging my lifts. Today is bench at 95% for 270x1+ I'll post the full routine tonight after work.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
On the way home and feeling gooood!!! Killed my bench!

1x5 @ 75% (215)
1x3 @ 85% (240)
1x1+ @ 95% (270) for 6 reps
1x3 @ 85% (240)
1x5+ @ 75% (215) for 10 reps

5x20/15/12/10/8 Db incline bench
3x10 Db incline flys
3x10 Db military press
5x10 superset rope pulldown/ lat pull

Time for my Philly Steak!

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Dead day:

1x5@ 75% (320)
1x3@ 85% (365)
1x1+ @ 95% (410) for 5 reps
1x3@ 85% (365)
1x5+@ 75% (320) for 5 reps

I was taxed and had the biggest lower back pump/ ache but pushed through.

Finished with 5x10@50% (215)
3x20 leg curls
3x20 kb rows
3x12 back ext
2x25 ab pull downs

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Heck yeah. 95% for 5? That's awesome!

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Thanks man! It was crazy. Today's training was OHP. Day 1 Week 4.

1x5@65% (115)
1x5@75% (130)
1x5+ @85% (145) for 12 reps
1x5@75% (130)
1x5+ @65% (115) for 13 reps

5x10@50% (85)

5x20/15/12/10/8 Db lateral raise
3x20 Db front raise
3x10 Db incline bench press
4x10 preacher curl
3x12 lat pulls

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
So today is typically my day off from the gym but since I have family in town I was gonna double up and go yesterday like I did and today. But I woke up feeling so tight. My ribs felt as if someone was squeezing me together. I was cramping too? Last night I couldn't even finish my bicep sets since I was cramping then as well. Any remedies or solutions?

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Also with the fam being there's a chance I won't make the gym til Sunday so I would have 3 days off in a row. If I keep my food intake high will my body be able to handle the givens percentages or will that be considered a deload?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe hydration RE cramps?

May be short for a deload unless you do a day or two of light days before getting back into things. I usually feel great coming back after 3 days off.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Could be. I'm doing tricks here and there to get me to drink more. I tend to goto bed and wake so parched. I hate to say this but I probably don't even drink a gallon a day.

Tomorrow I'm heading back and plan to hit sq/bp/dl back to back days. Cuz technically if I hit all those lifts by Tuesday I will have 4 lifts per 7 days. So my 3 days off right now is just my off days.

As a powerlifter do you tend to feel tired a lot? Not necessary sore but just tired? I tend to snooze so much in the morning I feel so exhausted then middle of the day I work I'm yawning like no other. Then I get home about 6ish and ready to crash by 8-9. Why am I feeling this way?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes I'm tired a lot, but I get up at 3AM to workout. Many days I take a 20-30 min cat nap at lunch.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I got some bad news....I went to the gym today and let my ego get the best of me. I tried go for a 1rm and got 405. That 20lbs less than my starting 1rm for the program. I'm now contemplating withdrawing from the program and start something new and possibly doing what we discussed earlier as far as using lower percentages I was so disappointed seeing that roughly little over a year ago I used to be able to hit 485 as a 1rm. This sucks man I don't know what to do at this point. 405 felt like my life was on the line

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't sweat it man. Bad days happen. This week I was expecting 12 reps on pulls and barely got 8.

I hit my 1RM this past summer but have failed anything within 15# of it since.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
So what do you suggest I should go from this? Continue the program or tweak somethings in to my own and see what works?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you in pain or you just had a bad day? If form isn't breaking down and you aren't hurting, then I'd stick with the program. Some days or going to suck.

If this becomes a weekly dilemma then make adjustments. Trust the program though.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I some pain in my lower back/ knees from time to time but not pain that keeps me from doing my lifts. I'm just in a rush to get my numbers high again and be jacked

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Slow and easy

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Thought through it and went over some things tonight. I'm sticking to the program. I've always done best with 5/3/1 I need to check my ego at the door and take it nice and slow.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
RegisterJr I'm looking at your lift days that you told me about what do you think if I did something like this:

Squat
Bench/sh
DL
Squat
Bench/sh
Upper back/ chest

All days doing my 5/3/1 sets plus my 5x10, but my dead days take out the 5x10 plus any additional accessories I add in?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try it and see how it treats you. I've already adjusted my days too. I have two bench and two deadlift days.

That deadlift day immediately before your second squat day may tax your core a bit. If the secondary day is lighter, than ghat may not matter.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Two deadlift days for me just wrecks my lower back. I tend to slam deads when I have 7-8 days in between each session. Squats and bench twice maybe even three times a week are more manageable. I'm definitely gonna give it a shot plus figure out what I want to do for my accessories. Decisions decisions.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Squat day!

1x5@65%(255)
1x5@75%(295)
1x5@85%(335) only 5
1x5@75%(295)
1x5@65%(255) only 5

Box squat 5x5@225

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Bench/ Shouldurr:

Bench:
1x5@65%(190)
1x5@75%(220)
1x5@85%(245) for 13
1x5@75%(220)
1x5@65%(190) for 13

5x10@50%(145)

Shoulder:
1x5@65%(115)
1x5@75%(130)
1x5@85%(145)
1x5@75%(130)
1x5@65%(115)

5x10@50%(85)

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
13 reps on 5's week... Impressive man.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Deads:

1x5@65%(285)
1x5@75%(325)
1x5@85%(370) for 10
1x5@75%(325)
1x5@65%(285)

Deficit deads
3x8@45%(195)

Rack pulls
5x5@55%(240)

Close grip bench

5x3@225 (2sec pauses at bottom)

Rope pulldown
3x20

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice job man. Good numbers, and solid accessory choices.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
24feb16:
Squats
1x5@65%(255)
1x5@75%(295)
1x5@85%(335) for 10
1x5@75%(295)
1x5@65%(255) for only 5
5x10@50%(195)

1Mar16
OHP
1x5@65%(115)
1x5@75%(130)
1x5@85%(145) for 9
1x5@75%(130)
1x5@65%(115) for 9
5x10@50%(85)

Bench
1x5@65%(190)
1x5@75%(220)
1x5@85%(245) for only 5
1x5@75%(220)
1x5@65%(199) for only 5
5x10@50%(145)

3mar16

I switched back to done only 4 days of training since hitting squats-OHP-bench was killing my joints by the second go around. Instead to the four days I added better assistance that I feel have been helping me. Plus I've added mobility/stretching/cardio every workout I feel so much better doing those 3. My body feels more fresh every morning with my added supplementation.

3Mar16
Squats
1x3&70%(270)
1x3@80%(310)
1x3@90%(350) for 7
1x3@80%(310)
1x3@70%(270)

Box squat 6x4@60%(235)
Good morning 3x10
Abs/20min bike

4mar16
OHP
1x3&70%(120)
1x3@80%(135)
1x3@90%(150) for 10
1x3@80%(135)
1x3@70%(120) for 12
5x10@50%(85)

Db row 4x10
Cable rows-sets of 10 kept working up til I hit 195 strictly
Lat pull 4x10
Abs/20min bike

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
My new updated days/assistance goes as:

(Still following the 27weeks template)

Squats
Box squats
GMs

OHP
Bbb OHP
Db row
Lat pull
Tbar or cable row

Dl
Deficit dl
Rack pulls
Bi's

BP
Bbb BP
Cg bench
Incline Db bench
Rope pd

Abs cycle of
3 sets of planks
3x15 crunches/leg lifts
And 20min bike after every lift.

Stretching/foam rolling after

Mobility drills to specify lift per that day.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice reppage on the squats man!!!!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Your supposed to pyramid the weights, 65, 75, 85, 75, 65??? Or is that just somethings you do? I just started 5 3 1 today for deadlifts only, but must've missed that...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your supposed to pyramid the weights, 65, 75, 85, 75, 65??? Or is that just somethings you do? I just started 5 3 1 today for deadlifts only, but must've missed that...
It's from the book "beyond 5/3/1". He throws some random variations out there. Stick with the basics and explore different ways to increase volume beyond that.