Cube method

clk

clk

Awards
I've looked and looked but can't find the interactive excel spreadsheet. I can only find the **** you have to pay for. And well, I don't wanna pay. Can anyone help a brotha out?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Okay, so lifts are rotated heavy, rep, speed. Order is unimportant as long as you rotate through in a three week cycle. Then you go into the next.

(Based off of 95% training max)

Wave one
Heavy: 80% five doubles
Rep: 70% 3 sets of 8-12
Speed: 65% 8 sets of 3

Wave two
Heavy: 85% three doubles
Rep: 80% for three sets of 4-6
Speed 70% for six doubles

Wave three
Heavy: 90% double, 92.5% single, 95% Single
Rep: 85% 3 sets 3-5 reps
Speed: 75% five doubles

Week ten bust a chill and test. Cube Boss would have you do as follows:

After deadlift, add 5% and do block pulls for reps (last heavy day these are omitted)
Subtract 5% (from floor deadlift) and do deficit for reps

After squats, add 5% and do front squats (the percentage is of your front squat max)
Subtract 5% and do pause squats (pause squat max if you know it)

After bench, add 5% and do close grip (close grip max)
Subtract 5% and do spoto press.

As mentioned for squats, last heavy day of the cycle, these follow up exercises are omitted. Last rep day, the heavy variation is for doubles.

He has reps for each of those, But I find it better to be intuitive. Work hard for 2-3 sets, leave a couple reps in the tank on all sets, focus on bar speed and excellent technique.

The very simple version has been written as follows:
Heavy: work up to a heavy double or triple with reps in the tank. Shouldn't be balls out. Learn to move heavy weight fast and well. Repeat as you feel (closer to test, repeat less often)

Rep day: some for a few. Somewhere between 65-75% for 5-8, again focus on bar speed. Closer to test, use heavier weight for less reps.

Speed: find a weight you can triple, where each rep moves as fast as an empty bar but it takes all of your effort to move it that fast. Do that for 8-12 sets. Err on the side of light, we're training flat out bar speed.

With whatever you assemble, assistance is spent mainly on weak points for the certain lift. A fourth day of overhead press, biceps, calves, and training weak points even further is also to be included.

Sorry I don't have excel spreadsheets or the book on my phone. The general guide works fine and is actually how Lilly did it. The framework with intuition is more effective and will lead to more long term success with cube or any other program you run in the future, as it teaches you what works specifically to you.

Once again, sorry if I fudged any numbers or missed anything, I wrote this purely from memory.

clk

clk

Awards
Bad ass. Thanks. I just found an excel spreadsheet on it as well. Plan on running it now that I finished smolov. How do you like the method?

That's a pretty good memory you got there btw.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Bad ass. Thanks. I just found an excel spreadsheet on it as well. Plan on running it now that I finished smolov. How do you like the method?

That's a pretty good memory you got there btw.
I've ran it three times and it used to be that nearly every powerlifter on this site ran it as well. I always enjoyed Cube a lot and got good results from it.

clk

clk

Awards
Good to hear. I was looking at cube and also candidos 6 week program. Haven't heard much negative about candidos 6 week. I've done his other one before. I thought it was pretty decent. But this time I will try the cube out.

clk

clk

Awards
clk

clk

Awards
I've ran it three times and it used to be that nearly every powerlifter on this site ran it as well. I always enjoyed Cube a lot and got good results from it.
so let me see if i have this right, this program has you hitting each major lift once per week plus a BB day? or am i looking at this wrong?
im going to have to add in another chest day somewhere. i have never had any results benching once a week. my chest sucks. :(

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That's right. On bodybuilding day, you're doing overhead press, biceps, calves, and whatever else you need to work on. If you wanted to bench on body day, you could, just do the opposite of what your regularly scheduled bench was (heavy:speed, higher rep:lower rep)

clk

clk

Awards
Okay. Just making sure I was looking at this right. I'll probably add in another bench day on the BB day or appropriately spaced out from the previous bench day. Well, day one starts now! Thanks for the info. It's greatly appreciated as always.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Okay. Just making sure I was looking at this right. I'll probably add in another bench day on the BB day or appropriately spaced out from the previous bench day. Well, day one starts now! Thanks for the info. It's greatly appreciated as always.
Of course! I would just do like 100 light-ish dumbbell presses on both upper days, pec flyes on both uppers, etc. Your talking about chest as in looks, or performance? If the latter, we can work on things.

clk

clk

Awards
Strictly performance. Chasing a 1500 total right now. Chest is keeping me back more than anything.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Strictly performance. Chasing a 1500 total right now. Chest is keeping me back more than anything.
Get a video of you benching a tough set next time you're due to and I'll tag some guys to look at it so we can square you up. It's probably not pecs. I have been benching without my pecs for the last six months and I'm creeping up on 400 again. Granted, I'm built to bench, but we can fix ya.

clk

clk

Awards
Get a video of you benching a tough set next time you're due to and I'll tag some guys to look at it so we can square you up. It's probably not pecs. I have been benching without my pecs for the last six months and I'm creeping up on 400 again. Granted, I'm built to bench, but we can fix ya.
Will do. I'm 6'5 with an equally large wingspan. So I have that working against me