Best assistance work for a bigger bench?

rreal_natty

rreal_natty

Awards
Are there any assistance and/or mobility work that you guys would recommend for increasing my bench press? I can currently hit 210 for a single.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Without seeing a bench video, it's an educated guess.

clk

clk

Awards
Floor presses are pretty under rated. Also, ohp is a huge help.

rreal_natty

rreal_natty

Awards
Floor presses are pretty under rated. Also, ohp is a huge help.
Thanks man, i have not been doing floor presses consistently, that would probably help lots

clk

clk

Awards
No problem. Dips are also a major one. Badically, of its old school and a compound movement, it can't be bad lol

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
If floor presses aren't able to be down in my gym with a bb, are db's ok?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can flat bench BB press but not floor BB press? You can't put the bar on the floor?

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I can do that but pretty much I'd have to hip thrust the weight up to start, the power racks at my gym don't have the pins needed to do floor presses

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I'll just have to find a trustworthy person to just hand it to me

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I know what your saying but in the instance where I have the bar loaded heavy I will have to start with the bar at my thighs clean up to my neck and and then sit down/ lay down. Cuz I can't set the pins at a certain height to unrack and do the floor press

Famine

Famine

Awards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QnwAoesJvQ

Dave Tate's videos helped me break a 5 year plateau and added 50 pounds to my bench inside of 6 months. That being said, it also put some undue stress on my low back, so I have mixed feelings about his technique. Since he made the above video, he has a more updated, more PC set of videos.

Famine

Famine

Awards
As for auxiliary movements, you need to figure out which muscle is holding you back. Close grip bench press if it's your triceps, OHP if it's your shoulders, deads and rows if it's your upper back, etc.

Urqa

Urqa

Awards
Hard to tell without seeing your bench,
One of the biggest things that has helped me is building a bigger back and just trying to build muscle in the upper body along with improving my setup.

clk

clk

Awards
As for auxiliary movements, you need to figure out which muscle is holding you back. Close grip bench press if it's your triceps, OHP if it's your shoulders, deads and rows if it's your upper back, etc.
this is probably the most sound information you will get. you need to figure out what is weak in order to get the lift strong.

clk

clk

Awards
why wouldnt you be able to do them at your gym? you dont really need much to do them. just a squat rack with adjustable safety bars. if you dont have that, load the bar on the floor, lay down and have a buddy hand it off to you.

Vector300

Vector300

Awards
Second this - I'm no bench monster (only hitting 285# @ 140BW, want dem 3 plates each side!) but back training for your bench is essential. I'll frequently throw in rows, my preference is for Pendlay and T-Bar/Meadows style though there's something to be said for Krocs too, along with pull-up variations. Don't neglect explosive power moves too. Like hang clean pulls/high pulls. It's all about generating dat tension in your back/upper back. Overhead work is important too, particularly for me as I bench with a slightly closer grip and am more front delt/triceps dependent. All kinds of presses (lat raises aren't presses and I personally think they're ****ing useless) the Z-Press and Behind the Neck Press (standing) being my two favorite because. Oh, and last thing don't neglect the biceps. They play into bar stabilization. So in summary. Train everything I guess...

JackSouth

JackSouth

Awards
From my own experience, if you get stuck at the bottom of the lift,
Do incline bench, spoto press, a lot of back/delt work and halfreps 20-30 reps from your chest and half way up. NO BOUNCE!

If you have lock out problems I suggest bord press, weighted dips, floorpress and a lot of tricep work!

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Board press is my personal favorite
Has helped me out of a few plateaus
But this is my weak point, yours may be totally different
It allows me to get used to playing with bigger weights

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Work on your set up and bench more often

JohnWill

Awards
You don't need a squat rack or anything to do floor presses. Just put some damn weight on the bar get under it and press. Your not that big to get stuck or need a spotter. Go to heavy db for a little bit. That has helped me in the past to get over humps. Don't entirely cut out bb just put emphasis on db. And just like everyone else says. Build strength everywhere else too. You will see guys in the gym with big arms and that's it but never see a guy with a barrel chest and no arms

JohnWill

Awards
Also. Get a spotter to help and stack some weight on the bar. Your body has to get used to extreme stress. Doing the same weight because your unable to push more by yourself will not help

dvw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Heavy standing barbell shoulder press twice or even three times a week.

blondbencher

Awards
I think that you should stick to the basics man. People are always looking for the latest training split or gimmick to add that extra bit of weight too the bar, but in reality, they're just wasting time and energy with the accessories when they're not even hitting their core lifts hard. So my advice is don't waste time on accessories, focus on the meat and potatoes which is pressing heavy ass weight off your chest. Save all that fancy stuff for when you've plateaued. Right now, focus on barbell bench, overhead press, some kind of row, close grip benches and some heavy curls. Keep getting stronger, keep growing. And most importantly, keep eating tons and resting hard.