Bench tip

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
What good exercises to do to increase your bench max? Expect doing a lot of bench press...

I hit 375lb last summer, haven't lifted for strength for awhile but started to lift heavy again and want to hit 400.

What's your favorite excersises for bench strength?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Arm accessory workouts.

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Arm accessory workouts.
Like what?

I understand that shoulders and triceps need to be strong, I'm just asking for specific excersises that would be beneficial to be stronger in bench ?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The list is too long to go over. Best way is to bench better. If we knew what it looked like, we could suggest technique improvements and accessory work that would grow your bench best, but not just a blanket thing.

But to answer your general question, my favorite for bench is dynamic work against bands with a close grip and triceps extensions.

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
The list is too long to go over. Best way is to bench better. If we knew what it looked like, we could suggest technique improvements and accessory work that would grow your bench best, but not just a blanket thing.

But to answer your general question, my favorite for bench is dynamic work against bands with a close grip and triceps extensions.
My technique is actually pretty good, I have been training with power lifters before, I do keep a pretty close grip though, if I get wide my shoulders hurt. With this technique I have done 375 and a 20 rep on 225.

I just want to know a few exercises that will help to improve strength, you know, sometimes you get stuck in the same routine and just don't improve as you should.

I guess I just have to do it more and get used to the heavy weight again, it just suck when you're not as strong as you used to be... :p

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Where in the lift do you get stuck?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Raw lifters can't go wrong with long pauses and shoulder work.

imlee888

Awards
I used to worry about accessory work, and couldn't figure out why my bench was plateauing. I did accessories for my chest, my shoulders, my triceps, everything. It wasn't until I cut out the accessory movements and just did bench accessories instead that my bench went up. Touch n go bench, pause bench, close grip, wide grip, spoto presses, wide grip spoto presses(probably helped the most), dumbbell presses, just in general more pressing movements, mostly with the barbell that I saw results. Peaking, and more pressing movements help strength and technique improvement more tha. Accessories

blondbencher

Awards
^This! So many people focus on the flashy **** that they forget about the meat and potatoes!

clk

clk

Awards
you say you dont get stuck. if that was the case, you would have an infinite bench press max. load up the bar and find out where you get stuck. if you get stuck in the upper half of the movement, do floor presses, spoto presses, or bench with chains/bands. if you get stuck pushing the weight off the chest, do a lot of pauses at the bottom.
as far as overall accessory work goes, bench more, do bench variations like CG, pause, wide grip or do a lot of dips. basically, spend a lot of time under the barbell and pushing it off of you in different manners. you get a good bench by spending time on the bench. not by doing the latest and greatest things that the newest fitness magazine tells you to.

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
you say you dont get stuck. if that was the case, you would have an infinite bench press max. load up the bar and find out where you get stuck. if you get stuck in the upper half of the movement, do floor presses, spoto presses, or bench with chains/bands. if you get stuck pushing the weight off the chest, do a lot of pauses at the bottom.
as far as overall accessory work goes, bench more, do bench variations like CG, pause, wide grip or do a lot of dips. basically, spend a lot of time under the barbell and pushing it off of you in different manners. you get a good bench by spending time on the bench. not by doing the latest and greatest things that the newest fitness magazine tells you to.
Thanks!

THE MONSTAR

THE MONSTAR

Awards
  • Established
I like this. Great advice

clk

clk

Awards
JRowe79

JRowe79

Awards
I use bench blockz. I can do board presses without someone holding a board for me. Basically yoga blocks but with places for the bar. Helps out a lot if you have a high sticking point. Also if you have a closer grip means you utilize your triceps more on the press, so a lot of tricep work. Nose breakers, dips, etc.