First PL meet win and pec tear recovery

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
I've never been into PL although as a scrawny 135lbs. Kid in HS I could still out lift half our football team even when they had 80lbs. On me. I have always been into bodybuilding since I discovered weights around 15y.o. Well there was a PL meet poster at my gym so I said why not? And started training for it about 6 or 7 weeks out.

Prior to this training period is rarely done deadlifts since High school, and proffered leg press or hack squat over the much harder barbell squat. I mad huge leaps in strength in that time, and also had a slight right pec pull about 4 weeks out from it. Knowing I needed to let it heal I stayed light( under 70% 1rm until the practice meet 7 days prior to the real one.

I got myself some wrestling shoes for squats and deads, and bought a nice gasp inc. PL regulation belt. Also got the mandatory chalk in a sack as well as some nose tork for the heavy days working over 90% 1rm. I performed wonderful at the practice meet, and although I stayed at about 85% 1rm for bench, it felt good and healed up. I was ready to go

Come meet day I expected to be a bit nervous, but I wasn't in the slightest, I guess I owe that to BB comps standing on stage solo in posing trunks in front of hundreds. Lol I was a bit self conscious, or rather, unsure of myself, so my warming up wasn't as much as it should have been.

I ended up tearing my right pec significantly during my third attempt at about 402lbs, but decided to deadlift anyways so I wouldn't bomb out. I iced the pec when I wasn't up to lift. Well, I still ended up winning the open with a final squat of about 480, my 2nd attempt at bench which was a successful 350 or so, and my second attempt at deadlift with about 587. I decided to not do a third attempt at DL and me and the mrs. Went straight up to my VA hospital about 70minutes away.

By the time I got to the hospital the entire pec/front delt, upper bicep, and even underarm and upper right and were swollen at least twice normal size and starting to bruise. It was obvious I did some damage. Did the whole imaging thing had to go in next day for MRI, and found out what I knew, I tore most of my pec in the myotendinous junction region, and was told they don't repair tears there because it's too difficult. I met with a prominent Midwest surgeon a couple days later who tried explains the reattach end would be to difficult, this time I was ready...

I showed the surgeon a few case studies and reports of athletes with the exact same type of tear that had a successful reattachment surgery. One of them was Layne Norton's pec tear surgery and recovery story, and I explained some of the new techniques and new suturing devices used to repair this type of tear. Some of the info was from the peer reviewed Medical journals. I explained how BB and PL were my passions in life and being under thirty y.o., it would make a significant physical and mental impact to just let 60-70% of my right pec muscle fibers atrophy and die. He was pretty impressed and at least decided to look into it and ask his colleagues around he country about it.

The surgeon called 3 days later and admitted I was right about these new methods that he was unfamiliar with, and gave me the option for surgery two days later, I took it. The surgery went well, the muscle and tendon were retracted a bit so he had to use a type of mesh bridge to connect them and let the muscle and collagen growth fill it in during the recovery period.

The recovery was extremely hard, I was stuck in a sling with my arm pinned to my side for the first month(I was suppose to use it for two). The slightest stretching of the area could pull the attachment out during the first few weeks after surgery, so I couldn't use my right arm/hand at all. I also developed a dependence to the dilaudid I was on around the clock for the whole time starting from the first hospital visit.

Two and a half months later, I'm on track and doing much better, I've gotten through the opiate withdrawls(actually I'm doing a slow methadone taper treatment), and I'm back to pushing 3 plates and the hammer strength in line chest press. I lightly stretch it when it is warm and do moderat physical manipulation through self massage and foam rolling to prevent and break up any scar/adhesion growth that would limit my future performance.

That's my recovery story and it isn't over yet.

Meet vids to follow

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
[video]https://youtu.be/0zRqVsgpmLQ[/video]

This was third squat attempt at about 480 pounds if I remember right. I didn't write any of my lifts down and due to the pec tear and pain meds my mind went fuzzy, but the plates, collars, and comp 55lbs. Bar seemed to add up to that.

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
[video]https://youtu.be/-GreSMFyjeY[/video]

3rd bench attempt where I tore my right pec. You can see my arm start shaking and ratcheting down as the fibers tore. Was about 402pounds. My 2nd attempt was good with about 355lbs.

allprsnl

allprsnl

Awards
[video]https://youtu.be/UX_QDEz-lOE[/video]

2nd attempt on deadlifts (I skipped the 3rd attempt to head to the ER for that torn pec) I thought I pulled right about 600 pounds, but watching the vid and adding up the plates seem to be closer to 587lbs.