Best way to smash my one rep max ... to the moon .

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
I got 325 on deadlift and i want to get to 450 . I don't really understand the 5 3 1 thing i watched a few vids but i cant really figure it out . Iam used to doing sets of 20 or sets of 15 . If anyone can elaborate on this 5 3 1 and progressing into the power lifting world please feel free to kick me any ideas. Thanks !!!

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
edit: won't let me post link. Pretty lame..

Otheridstaken

Otheridstaken

Awards
The 5-3-1 plan I was reading about basically has you doing reps outside you max range and increasing the weight nice and slow. Takes time, but supposedly builds better strength in the long haul.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
The 5-3-1 plan I was reading about basically has you doing reps outside you max range and increasing the weight nice and slow. Takes time, but supposedly builds better strength in the long haul.
Im going to try my best to master this. i have 25 days left on this cycle i want to grab as much muscle as i can when i walk away and take this break.

Otheridstaken

Otheridstaken

Awards
I was thinking of making a switch in programs myself. Straight crossfit makes me feel I'm wasting my current cycle. Maybe a crossfit wod two days a week, and 5-3-1 for the rest of the week. I can tell stuff is starting to kick in, so want to get the most of it.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Black iron beast 5/3/1 calculator. Google it.

Simplest layout is 4 week cycles.

Week 1- 5/5/3 warmups then 5/5/5+
Week 2 - 5/5/3 warmup then 3/3/3+
Week 3- 5/5/3 warmup then 5/3/1+ and singles to find new 1rm if you feel good.
Week 4 - deload and repeat

The plus sets are AMRAPs (as many reps as possible). If youre trying to get into powerlifting and are doing all exercises in 15-20 range, you have quite a bit of learning to do (i don't mean this disrespectfully at all).

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
5/3/1 seems complicated when you first get into it. But, it is actually super, super simple.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I ended up with a 335 dead with it and I haven't tried for a PR in months. You figure out your 1RM, take 90% of that and train a different percentage of it 3-4 days a week.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards

The plus sets are AMRAPs (as many reps as possible). If youre trying to get into powerlifting and are doing all exercises in 15-20 range, you have quite a bit of learning to do (i don't mean this disrespectfully at all).
Looks good i was doin a basic work out split . But i know i can get more mass and strength out of a PL regimen. Reg wo dont even tire my muscles out . Its been suggested up the volume . In 4 days my bench went up 25 lbs dead lift up 45 lbs . So iam definitely going to stick it out here . One major question . How will i alter my 2 60 minute cardio sessions a day ?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2 60 minute cardio sessions...a day? Why...?

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards

I appreciate that no disrespect taken . Knowledge is what iam seeking ;)

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
2 60 minute cardio sessions...a day? Why...?
Here it is oh boy you ready ? ... when i excersize in anyway i dont get tired . Thats y iam seeking PL i figure at some point i must have to fatigue. So i worked my way up to a certain level n get bored . Then i get pissed if i cant get past it . But this 5 3 1 thing is about to become my new obsession .

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You do 120 minutes of cardio a day?
How intense? How many cals you burning? How many you eating?

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
I ended up with a 335 dead with it and I haven't tried for a PR in months. You figure out your 1RM, take 90% of that and train a different percentage of it 3-4 days a week.
Nice i usually dont dead lift for numbers but if i keep feeling like this ill hit 450 by week 3 i will post a video to prove .

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice i usually dont dead lift for numbers but if i keep feeling like this ill hit 450 by week 3 i will post a video to prove .
You're going to jump 125lbs in 3 weeks?!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Best way to put huge pounds on your max in a short period of time is simple: technique. Post a video of a couple reps with 315 and post it on here and we'll let you know what you can do to improve. Once, I got my deadlift technique all messed up and pulled a very difficult 480. Sent a video over to a member here and he pointed me in the right direction. Three weeks later, I hit an easy 551 in a meet.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
You do 120 minutes of cardio a day?
How intense? How many cals you burning? How many you eating?
4200 calories in try to burn atleast 1500 out from cardio and the rest on my workouts . Im putting up big numbers and not getting tired so this stacks gonna shine hard for the 3 final weeks.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Best way to put huge pounds on your max in a short period of time is simple: technique. Post a video of a couple reps with 315 and post it on here and we'll let you know what you can do to improve. Once, I got my deadlift technique all messed up and pulled a very difficult 480. Sent a video over to a member here and he pointed me in the right direction. Three weeks later, I hit an easy 551 in a meet.
Sounds good iam in eastern mass really close to Sturbridge and Ware area. Looking to eventually compete .

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
4200 calories in try to burn atleast 1500 out from cardio and the rest on my workouts . Im putting up big numbers and not getting tired so this stacks gonna shine hard for the 3 final weeks.
So you're essentially netting 2700ish cals/day.
What are your goals for the cycle? Strength/numbers? Or mass? Or a little of both?
I'm just trying to put together jumping 125lbs in deads with a net of 2700 cals and 2 hours of cardio.
You're a big dude, 2700 is a cut.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
So you're essentially netting 2700ish cals/day.
What are your goals for the cycle? Strength/numbers? Or mass? Or a little of both?
I'm just trying to put together jumping 125lbs in deads with a net of 2700 cals and 2 hours of cardio.
You're a big dude, 2700 is a cut.
My carbs and protein is jacked to max . Ill most likely cut one of those cardio sessions out in order to achieve this . My goals are to put on muscle mass develop the weaker muscles and to trim a little excess fat . I have a wide frame mesomorph i think . Last time i was on a cycle like this i seen excellent results.

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My carbs and protein is jacked to max . Ill most likely cut one of those cardio sessions out in order to achieve this . My goals are to put on muscle mass develop the weaker muscles and to trim a little excess fat . I have a wide frame mesomorph i think . Last time i was on a cycle like this i seen excellent results.
Good luck man. It's good to have big goals, so don't be hard on yourself if you only jump half that in 3 weeks. Still a hell of a feat. And of you do then...well done bud.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Good luck man. It's good to have big goals, so don't be hard on yourself if you only jump half that in 3 weeks. Still a hell of a feat. And of you do then...well done bud.
Thanks ill be posting weekly progress in my yeti log about my numbers going up or not . Its like one of those personal goals you shoot for . If i dont then oh well next time . But if i set the bar hi ill try harder to reach it.

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks ill be posting weekly progress in my yeti log about my numbers going up or not . Its like one of those personal goals you shoot for . If i dont then oh well next time . But if i set the bar hi ill try harder to reach it.
Agree

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds good iam in eastern mass really close to Sturbridge and Ware area. Looking to eventually compete .
That's cool, man. But what does that have to do with improving your technique via online video critique?

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
That's cool, man. But what does that have to do with improving your technique via online video critique?
If anyone's local id get a friend to lift with . Idk man just putting it out there .

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If anyone's local id get a friend to lift with . Idk man just putting it out there .
From what I've seen, it's hard to find someone who actually knows what they're doing that will help. I've traveled hours just to get sessions in with people who know what's up. But here I got a ton of help and have put on about 400lbs on my made a in the last three years from learning and getting my form straightened out. Give it a shot.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
From what I've seen, it's hard to find someone who actually knows what they're doing that will help. I've traveled hours just to get sessions in with people who know what's up. But here I got a ton of help and have put on about 400lbs on my made a in the last three years from learning and getting my form straightened out. Give it a shot.
I was talkin to a guy near me but idk where he went . Its def a great forum and i love how helpful everyone is .