Experienced PL looking for new ideas to break plateaus gain strength.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
HEY guys iam enjoying my PL program but i want to cruise to another level of the game . Not necessarily record breaking but personal record breaking. Any ideas to pass these old records and hit some new PR's ???

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Idk what you've done, but I see a lot of powerlifters neglect volume. That is, do a 2 day split three times a week, and hit 10 sets of 6-10 reps on squats for example (this if just an example)

napalm

napalm

Awards
Hulk, look into 10/20/life. I swear by this program. It is customizable to pretty much anything you want to do. Put 28 lbs on my bench in 10 weeks heading into APF Nationals this year. Follow Brian on fb. He's always putting up articles on how to customize it...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hulk, look into 10/20/life. I swear by this program. It is customizable to pretty much anything you want to do. Put 28 lbs on my bench in 10 weeks heading into APF Nationals this year. Follow Brian on fb. He's always putting up articles on how to customize it...
This is a good option^ Napalm is the man

I've used this program for over a year and continue to do so, haven taken my comp squat from 2.89 xBW to 3.27 xBW, 90lbs.

Really, any program you pick is going to produce gains if you dedicate yourself to it.

CellWarrior

CellWarrior

Awards
  • Established
x3 on the 10/20/Life... Heard nothing but good things.

I haven't ran it as my current program is working just fine. It's a Mix of 531, but I Cube it and I have a few rest/pause sets every week. So it's a bastard child of 531, The Cube Method and DoggCrapp..lol

I liked 521, but my 1 week was taxing. So I adapted the Cube Method. Which I didn't like most of it. I did like how it rotated heavy days. DC was one of my first real programs I did back in 2001 that I actually made real progress with. I use the rest/pause sets for many of my accessory lifts.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Idk what you've done, but I see a lot of powerlifters neglect volume. That is, do a 2 day split three times a week, and hit 10 sets of 6-10 reps on squats for example (this if just an example)
Usually i aim for sets of 5 at my 1rm then next lift day at 10lbs but iam stuck at a certain number.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
x3 on the 10/20/Life... Heard nothing but good things.

I haven't ran it as my current program is working just fine. It's a Mix of 531, but I Cube it and I have a few rest/pause sets every week. So it's a bastard child of 531, The Cube Method and DoggCrapp..lol

I liked 521, but my 1 week was taxing. So I adapted the Cube Method. Which I didn't like most of it. I did like how it rotated heavy days. DC was one of my first real programs I did back in 2001 that I actually made real progress with. I use the rest/pause sets for many of my accessory lifts.
Nice as long as the dog crap dont stick to ya shoe

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Im lookin for as much power as i can get and as massive arms as i can get.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
I have a log in the log section of the yeti stack by phwsupplements . This company's solid and i can't wait fot it to hit me full force! !

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Usually i aim for sets of 5 at my 1rm then next lift day at 10lbs but iam stuck at a certain number.
Sets of 5 at your 1RM? Is that really your 1RM then? There needs to be some form of periodization. Varying volume and subaximal weight goes a long ways with building strength.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Sets of 5 at your 1RM? Is that really your 1RM then? There needs to be some form of periodization. Varying volume and subaximal weight goes a long ways with building strength.
Persay my deadlift is 300 1rm i do it 5x rest in between 30 seconds .before work out i like a shake and after workout its meat and carbs with a big glass of milk

CellWarrior

CellWarrior

Awards
  • Established
A lot of PL programs don't do to much Arm work. For me my best growth for arms is to hit Biceps and Triceps in the Same session and Super Set them. Cram as much blood into them to stretch the fascia out.

1.Warm up

2. Super set a Rest Pause of Preacher Curls and Close Grip.
4 sets with a Total rep range of 18-20.. you have to be quick.. NO REST....Skip the Static Hold

3. Super Set 7x12 on Straight Bar Cable Curls and Rope Pressdowns Do these like FST-7 does.. Keep dropping the Weights to keep the 12 rep range.

3. Either Rev. Curls or Hammer Curls.. to finish off the Biceps and hit the Forearms
Super Set Diamond Push ups or Dips. Just a simple 3-4 sets of 10-12.

4. 4x25 Wrist Curls.. I just use a BB with no weights added. By the 3rd set my forearms are done.

Done..Arms should be toasted, but MASSIVE....

If you do this along with a PL program. Make sure to do it on your Light week and not around your Bench Day.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Persay my deadlift is 300 1rm i do it 5x rest in between 30 seconds .before work out i like a shake and after workout its meat and carbs with a big glass of milk
If you can do your 1RM for sets of 5, that's not your 1RM. That's what I'm getting at.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
A lot of PL programs don't do to much Arm work. For me my best growth for arms is to hit Biceps and Triceps in the Same session and Super Set them. Cram as much blood into them to stretch the fascia out.

1.Warm up

4 sets with a Total rep range of 18-20.. you have to be quick.. NO REST....Skip the Static Hold

3. Super Set 7x12 on Straight Bar Cable Curls and Rope Pressdowns Do these like FST-7 does.. Keep dropping the Weights to keep the 12 rep range.

3. Either Rev. Curls or Hammer Curls.. to finish off the Biceps and hit the Forearms
Super Set Diamond Push ups or Dips.

4. 4x25 Wrist Curls

U mind if I screen shot this ?

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Well you brought up wanting a program to give you big arms. I guess you already know
I was doing push ups pull ups to warm up then id be the ass hole that threw on every plate and needed a pick up to get it off the bar just to get 2 solid reps ... so glad those days are over. Now its a little more calculated.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards

1.Warm up

Super Set Diamond Push ups or Dips.

4. 4x25 Wrist Curls

If you do this along with a PL program. Make sure to do it on your Light week and not around your Bench Day.

Another thing i loved was the alow negative reps... on the Preacher curls people would think i was doing it to be a jerk n waste time . I just wantes the most muscle for my money

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
Well you brought up wanting a program to give you big arms. I guess you already know
Not that i know but iam looking for more ideas to incorporate. This is def the thread i wanted to find.

CellWarrior

CellWarrior

Awards
  • Established
With a 300lb DL.. your still kind of a beginner stages. I would do 531 and on your Shoulder Press. Add a Super set of Biceps and Triceps in there.

There is an APP called BIG Lifts that will calculate all your 531 Numbers for you. It's simple and Cheap. Well worth it. The Basics for 531 are simple to follow and not complex. Don't deload at the 4th week. Deload at 8 weeks.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That^ Stick to something basic, and STICK to it. Follow a program. 5/3/1 and the Cube Method are two programs that are simple and easy to follow. You can do your curls whenever you want.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
With a 300lb DL.. your still kind of a beginner stages. I would do 531 and on your Shoulder Press. Add a Super set of Biceps and Triceps in there.

There is an APP called BIG Lifts that will calculate all your 531 Numbers for you. It's simple and Cheap. Well worth it. The Basics for 531 are simple to follow and not complex. Don't deload at the 4th week. Deload at 8 weeks.
Iam and not ashamed at all

Ljohnson

Awards
Im in a similar boat moving from Greyskull, which is a progression with 5 reps in the big 3 to some Westside stuff. While Westside is pretty controversial, its centered around taking one of the big 3's and doing 1 rep max variations of it. Think 1rep max sumo deadlift on matts or box squat with bands. The idea is i you have all these pr's for random **** like box squats, deadlifts off pegs, etc, if you're constantly setting new pr's in variations then when you finally do a straight up squat, deadlift, or bench in competition, theres no way you don't pr.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im in a similar boat moving from Greyskull, which is a progression with 5 reps in the big 3 to some Westside stuff. While Westside is pretty controversial, its centered around taking one of the big 3's and doing 1 rep max variations of it. Think 1rep max sumo deadlift on matts or box squat with bands. The idea is i you have all these pr's for random **** like box squats, deadlifts off pegs, etc, if you're constantly setting new pr's in variations then when you finally do a straight up squat, deadlift, or bench in competition, theres no way you don't pr.
2-5RM's play a roll in it too...and choosing a lift variant that addresses an individual weakness in a lift.