Powerlifting + Cutting =?

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Hey guys. I'm just wondering - I know it's damn near impossible to gain muscle on a cut. But is increasing strength still a tangible goal while being in a slight deficit or is it the same as trying to put on size?

S

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hey guys. I'm just wondering - I know it's damn near impossible to gain muscle on a cut. But is increasing strength still a tangible goal while being in a slight deficit or is it the same as trying to put on size?
I have never had problems increasing strength cutting or bulking haha. just got lift smart i guess

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are so many factors in this that its hard to say. It's completely possible to set PRs during a cut and/or recomp, but it does require some clever adjustments to training.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
There are so many factors in this that its hard to say. It's completely possible to set PRs during a cut and/or recomp, but it does require some clever adjustments to training.
Such as? I would really like to start something similar to 5x5 - but more of an upper/lower split. I know it's pointless to try and gain size while cutting.

I did 5x5 and have been hooked ever since. All my numbers are quite low - so I would love to do a powerlifting program and add accessory groups for muscle.

I just really enjoyed squatting so much and getting strong so fast. In a matter of months I went from benching 95x6 to 165x5 which I know is still garbage but was great for me.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Such as? I would really like to start something similar to 5x5 - but more of an upper/lower split. I know it's pointless to try and gain size while cutting.

I did 5x5 and have been hooked ever since. All my numbers are quite low - so I would love to do a powerlifting program and add accessory groups for muscle.

I just really enjoyed squatting so much and getting strong so fast. In a matter of months I went from benching 95x6 to 165x5 which I know is still garbage but was great for me.
Depends on the deficit, your overall level of conditioning (some will actually see better recovery due to being leaner), training, supps, etc.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Any thoughts of something that would be an upper/lower split. I was thinking of upper days training bench, row, and OHP and on lower doing squats/deadlifts? Would this be too much? Probably something like 3x5 for sets/reps each exercise.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That likely will be too much on the intensity scale especially with a deficit. There's nothing wrong with training each movement twice per week, but you have to accommodate intensity and volume.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
the one way that you might be able to really get away with this is to truly perfect your peri-workout nutrition. If you keep the majority of your cals around your workouts you can most likely see improvements continue, even in a daily deficit.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
the one way that you might be able to really get away with this is to truly perfect your peri-workout nutrition. If you keep the majority of your cals around your workouts you can most likely see improvements continue, even in a daily deficit.
That could be doable. I also just feel like my lifts are so low to begin with that they might be possible to increase in a deficit. Well perhaps this is my new game plan then. I can begin my first steps to a meesly 1000lb total =P

Now to just make a small plan of accessory work.

MTPMJM

MTPMJM

Awards
  • Established
Follow canditos programming, works well, and is upper lower split

L

Ljohnson

Awards
If you're newer to PL then this is definitely possible as your body will still be adjusting to being under big weight and getting technique right. If you want to make gains this way though, prioritize the compounds and do low reps.
If you're looking for supplements go for BCAA's. They'll help your body keep muscle in a caloric deficit, even though in a deficit your protein synthesis wont be as high as degeneration.
I think, especially if you're somewhat new, you will lose mass but can gain strength in a deficit.

B

Bonesaw93

Awards
You can absolutely gain strength in a deficit...mass probably not

P

PILL

Awards
Just watch your overall volume. Deadlifting or squatting every workout is very doable if you watch the total volume and be careful on exercise selection.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Putting on size - contrary to popular belief is more about maintaining a positive nitrogen balance (which is why casein is so great) throughout the day. You can absolutely add strength, lose fat and build muscle. You just have to have a very dialed in nutritious diet.