My First Meet

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
As some of you know (from my previous post asking about my prep), I just competed in my first powerlifting meet on June 20 at York Barbell Company in York, PA in the teen and open amateur division.

I went into the meet not sure of how I would do, and I actually ended up winning both teen and open in the amateur 198 division with a 1310 total and received an award for, "Best Teen Lifter." It was a great experience for me and I will for sure be participating in more to come.

If anyone is interested, I have a little info about it below.

My lift breakdown was: 465s/300b/545dl

Squat: I opened with a 455 squat, easy down and easy up, and got 3 red lights. Had no idea why, so I asked the ref and was told it was because I still had the thumb loops around my thumbs from my wrist wraps. That is against the rules (which I knew but didn't think about it becuase I was into it). So I played it safe and jumped to 465. Another easy down, easy up with three white lights. My gym PR has been 515, so I decided to jump to something I knew I could hit, so I went to 500. I ended up missing that one. My coach was late in putting on my wraps, so we were rushed and they weren't nearly as tight as they should be (actually rather loose) and I didn't have time to get myself psyched out like usual. Once I got under the bar and lifted it off the monolift, I wobbled back and forth before gaining balance. This really hurt me because I was not used to a monolift squat rack. I had only used one during my deload with a light weight and that took my head out of it and seemed to loosen my wraps even more. I went down even farther than what I considered competition depth and got to my sticking point and dropped. Squats had been a struggle on the weeks leading up to my meet which may have been because of my 10 lb drop in weight to be in the 198 weight class (weight in at 196.2)

Bench: I opened with 275 (bench is my weak lift) and it felt easier than usual. I got a real good arch and the best leg drive I've had. I jumped to 300, which I had missed the last bench day before my deload. That lift slowed down right at the lock-out (past my normal sticking point) but I got it up. This was the first time I had ever used a belt to bench and I feel it helped a lot. I was tighter and the ability to brace my core helped a lot. I then attempted a PR of 320 (gym best is 315). It felt real light after I unracked it but I just didn't get it up. I think the number just psyched me out. I feel as though I should have got that lift but it just didn't get up.

Deadlift: Ahh my favorite. I opened with 495 and it flew up, quicker than ever. I told the judge that my second attempt would be 545 and she asked if I was serious and told me I should rethink that. I looked in her face and said again, "545." I took a big hit of nose tork and ran right up to the bar and had some crazy speed off the ground but my lock-out was shaky. I ended up getting it up with three white lights so I was happy. I went down to the ref and she told me she was impressed. I respected that and asked her opinion on what I should do next. She told me she saw a hitch in my near future but I ignored that and tried for a 565 deadlift. That one had some good speed off the ground but I just couldn't lock it out. It got stuck right around my knees. I pull conventional and I think I was just leaned too far forward and I didn't pull enough tension out while it was on the ground. If I could have started with deadlifts I think I could have pulled it but after 6 hours of some of my heaviest lifts, I was exhausted.

Well if you've read this far, then I thank you! I hope this kept you somewhat interested and I am looking forward to continuing my powerlifting career. If anyone has any questions about anything powerlifting and/or you want to do your first meet, feel free to ask and I will give you the best answer that I can, though I am sure there are many other people on this forum that can help more!

I also wanted to thank everyone who helped me on my previous post and responded in any way!

Thanks and Happy Training!

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Thanks folks! Loved it and I'm excited for more!