How Should I Prep

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Hey all,

So I have been training for a few years now just going to the gym and lifting weight, no real program or goals. Recently, I have become relatively strong (trying to remain humble but it's hard to get my point across without sounding cocky, sorry). I have several people at my gym telling me that I should do a powerlifting competition. I am very interested in this idea and have recently looked into competitions around me. I just have a few questions about how to go about all of this.

I was on powerliftingwatch.com and used the option to find competitions near me. I found one that was decently close on June 20th of this year. I was thinking of doing a different one that is in November, though I looked into the previous totals from the past three years for this competition (June 20), and my current total would have won the teen (I am 19) and open divisions for my weight class, which gave me hope.

I am more just into lifting for the fun and stress relief, though I do want to do a competition at some point and see how I like it. So my question is: would it be a bad idea to participate in this competition without much time to, "prep" or would I be fine? And if it is okay to do this, how should I go about training these next few weeks?

I am not sure if this is enough info to get a good response, though I would appreciate any help that I could get! If it would help to see my totals or any current training and diet, I would be more than willing to let you know. Any help is appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your information! Happy Training!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You're close to herderdude. Maybe you can talk to him and some day train with him! He's awesome!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Keeping it short and sweet:

Opener- Something you can hit for 3 or so reps.

Second- Something near your goal.

3 weeks out, hit your 1st/2nd attempts. 2 weeks out, hit your first attempts. Keep your assistance work easy. 1 week out, deload.

Don't cut weight.

Since it's short notice, go in with realistically achievable goals and don't kill yourself.

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
Just sign up and get involved mate as all experience is good experience. You'll go along and meet a load of people who can help and advise you for future competitions. You'll find that 99% of the people there are behind you all the way whether you're lifting for a record or lifting relatively small. As long as you turn up and go balls out at it you get respect. Make sure you're aware of the rules to get your lifts passed and you're good to go. If the competition is run well you'll find yourself instantly hooked and chomping at the bit to do the next one.

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate the help and advice! I'll letcha know how it goes for sure.