Which Method is the best?

Chalk Talk

Awards
Just looking to hear what experience people have had with different methods or online coaches. Best results? Worst results? Good or bad experiences with online coaches?

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never had an online coach before and I would never give somebody money who I never saw just sounds weird to me. Some of the best advice I've ever gotten (actually was on here lol) was to use and stick to a proven program. I've had a lot of success with the 5/3/1, cube method (been my favorite), and about to give juggernaut a try.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hired an online coach and had a good experience, though I probably won't do it again. I did it to knock off some of the stress when prepping for the meet. Did 20 weeks worth leading into it.

-My first meet, I used the Cube Method.
-Second meet I used the Advanced Template 5/3/1 variant from Beyond 531 and changed it up a tad.
-Third meet I loosely followed the Cube again
-My last two meets I followed 10/20/Life, and continue to do so.

I hit the PRs for my squat every meet (don't both asking about my other crap lifts) so obviously most programs/methods can work. What matters is whether or not you'll devote yourself to it and stick with it.

For off-season type programming, I like 10/20/L, 531, and the Cube. For meet prep I like 10/20/L and how the Minimalist Method is laid out.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sean hit the nail on the head with the statement that the most important program is the one you'll stick with for an extended period of time. Same thing applies to any nutrition strategy.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed with above. Choose one that aligns with what you think as if you believe in it and will stick to it it'll be better than obsessing over the little things. ;)

I like RTS and had great success with their coaching as well.

lilliebridge

Awards
Check out EricLilliebridge.com - Online Coaching and Training Programs offered by Eric Lilliebridge.

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
I've tried a quite few programmes myself including various Sheiko, Russian Masters and various 5/3/1. I now tend to train with small elements of a couple of them.

Sheiko was fine and dandy but took far too long per session for me to want to continue running it regulary. I've had great success with the 9 week Russian Masters method and I still like to use in my build ups to competitions. The one that I keep coming back to though is 5/3/1. I think this is honestly the only training method anyone could ever possibly need. The basic principal remains the same but there's soooo many slight tweaks and variations in his latest "Beyond 5 3 1" you can go on forever. I think you could even be a damn good bodybuilder on it.

Having just written that though the only lift I don't like to use 5 3 1 for is the Deadlift. I just don't agree with doing anything over 5 reps whilst deadlifting and as a result I like to use Coens/Phillipi 10 week build up.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I've tried a quite few programmes myself including various Sheiko, Russian Masters and various 5/3/1. I now tend to train with small elements of a couple of them.

Sheiko was fine and dandy but took far too long per session for me to want to continue running it regulary. I've had great success with the 9 week Russian Masters method and I still like to use in my build ups to competitions. The one that I keep coming back to though is 5/3/1. I think this is honestly the only training method anyone could ever possibly need. The basic principal remains the same but there's soooo many slight tweaks and variations in his latest "Beyond 5 3 1" you can go on forever. I think you could even be a damn good bodybuilder on it.

Having just written that though the only lift I don't like to use 5 3 1 for is the Deadlift. I just don't agree with doing anything over 5 reps whilst deadlifting and as a result I like to use Coens/Phillipi 10 week build up.
I did the same thing 5/3/1 + 10 week for deads. How were you running 5/3/1? BBB, periodization, etc?

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
Until recently I was following the Advanced 5/3/1 template but I started feeling a little beat up so I changed back to standard 5/3/1 with Jokers and AMRAP's. Bench day I do BBB on OHP and on OHP day I do BBB on Bench. I've dropped BBB on Squats at the moment in favour of squatting again for 3 x 5 before Deadlift which is something from the Advanced 5/3/1 template that I liked. Once I've ran through the 3 week cycle I add 2.5kg to the lifts and go again. I'll deload every seventh week. I'll just repeat this up pretty much up until my competition build up end of September at which point I'll do a bastardized version of Russian Masters.

I'm on the second week of my second cycle through 5/3/1 at the moment and I'd estimate I've got another 7 or 8 cycles before I potentially stall.

napalm

napalm

Awards
What Sean said.
<----was 531 for about 3 yrs, loved it.

Currently 10/20/life...

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does a anyone hAve a copy of beyond531 they can email?

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I found one but holy crap no idea which to go with

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mess around with the diff first set last variants maybe
Looking for frequency of main lifts and a good amount of accessory work. Just started a thread in training forum if u don't mind checking it out would really appreciate it!