Squats Every Leg Day?

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
What's up everyone! Just had a quick question about the most beneficial way to increase my squat.

Right now I follow a simple split of: chest&tris/back&bis/shoulders/legs/off and repeat. Maybe not the best split for powerlifting but it's what works for me. Now I just had a question about my leg day. Normally I squat every leg day. For the past few months I've started at 135 and worked my way up to over 400, starting, a few months ago, doing 405x3 and slowly working my way up to currently doing 455x3-5 (depending on how I'm feeling). I was just wondering if you all think it is practical for me (coming from a powerlifter's standpoint) to squat to my approximate 3 rep max every leg day, or if I should take another route? Maybe stopping at like 365 for reps every once in a while or not squatting at all one day and just doing say like extension and leg press and leg sled and all that good stuff instead? Or if there is another suggestion you all may have for me to do, that'd be awesome.

Thank you for the responses I may receive! I appreciate your potential help!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I follow 531, so one week it'll be 3's, one 5's, and one it'll be singles; all with the option of hitting a AMRAP or 3/5/1's rep PR. There are lots of great programs out there.

That said, a 50# increase in squat in a few months is pretty awesome. You might not want to change a thing until you plateau.

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Awesome! I'll definitely look into that 351 program. I think my increase in weight was more attributed to the fact that I went from high bar to low bar squats and it is just stronger for me, though I feel my strength did increase significantly overall. Thanks for the help!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Maybe look into alternating heavy squats (3s-5s) with a dynamic squat day (6-10 sets of 3, can throw in bands/chains if you have them here) like used in phat or the cube method the next session.

I dont have any experience with it, but i have been doing a lot of reading while looking for a program lately and im leaning towards the cube method (which as i noted above incorporates days like this). Might be a program you'd want to look into as well depending on your current level of training.

But as register said above, i'd ride out the progress youre currently making before switching it up.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I would stop doing a body part split and do a power lifting program. One on which you have a deadlift day, bench day, and a squat day. Then you don't have to worry about this question.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome! I'll definitely look into that 531 program. I think my increase in weight was more attributed to the fact that I went from high bar to low bar squats and it is just stronger for me, though I feel my strength did increase significantly overall. Thanks for the help!
I recently switched to low bar also. Took a while getting used to it but I've obliterated all my rep PRs recently and will probably set a single PR tomorrow.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I feel much better with low bar, but do switch back and forth.