Push till platue or 5,3,1?

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
I took 3 months off due to mild shoulder pain/injury during that time I decided to lose some weight. I went from 270 to 235 so far. Lost a lot on my lifts but I'm not really worried about it cause I'm really glad to be losing the weight.

My question is before I took my break I was doing 5,3,1 which I like a lot and see a lot of progress while doing it. But right now I feel as though I could push my 1rm's a lot faster back to where they were if I just pushed myself every week with higher weight and lower reps. I mean if I stick to 5,3,1 right now my deadlift would only be at 405 by Christmas, and I know from when I used to body build I can get that number up pretty fast just by pushing myself every week.
So my thinking is go balls to walls until I platue out then start into 5,3,1

By the way I'm 27 been training 11 years (2 years powerlifting)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just scale your training max down and continue 531. There's no sense in going balls out and possibly re-injuring yourself, even if you're feeling good. Rebuild your base instead of trying to get your lifts up quick as possible. That's more important.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Just scale your training max down and continue 531. There's no sense in going balls out and possibly re-injuring yourself, even if you're feeling good. Rebuild your base instead of trying to get your lifts up quick as possible. That's more important.
Yeah that's what I'm doing right now, just getting impatient. My inner meat head is just going crazy right now.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah that's what I'm doing right now, just getting impatient. My inner meat head is just going crazy right now.
Put your meatheadness in check!

That's just how I feel. Build up a base and increase your work capacity and the PRs will follow. Unless you have a meet coming up. Then you can put the coal on the fire.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would agree. Sometimes i really need to check myself and stick to the program. At the end of thebday another injury from pushing constantly and youll be even more frustrated not being able to work out at all... The shoulder injury sucks. Im coming back from one nand my bench is lacking compared to my other lifts. Its soo frustrating, but just tryna be patient.

bigcoachk

Awards
5/3/1 is a great program a lot of people have had success I would do as mentioned above I tore my rotator cuff 1.5 years ago and just now starting to get back where I was.