BCAAs for powerlfitng and strength?

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I'm curious on this topic. I have three separate old school powerlifters , two did more than 2 times their bw on bench who swear by them and who say that all the old time powerlifters used them. The only problem is they never really specify. The one said just after ur workout and one other time during the day. This just doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone shed some light on how or why this would work?

badwolf42

Awards
I used a few grams before and at the end of the workout during ab work. It really worked well for me, i was my strongest and leanest when i was doing that.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leucine helps to delay fatigue since it helps to delay (maybe block; I can't remember) tryptophan uptake in the brain. They're great for recovery as well.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
As far as I can tell leucine inhibits tryptophan metabolism and it helps prevent muscle loss, aids in repair, increases energy for the body and so much more. I'm pretty new to using BCAA's and I can definitely tell it's helping me with recovery. I'm not sure that it helps me get the extra weight on my bench though

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There are a handful of BCAAs that are mentioned throughout the forum. What do you guys recommend for BCAA?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
There are a handful of BCAAs that are mentioned throughout the forum. What do you guys recommend for BCAA?
Our bcaa's are very affordable and with the code HT35 you can save 35%

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
STIMino has a solid 2 scoop dosage of 5g leucine, 250mg caffeine, and 3g betaine anhydrous. All 3 of those ingredients would be highly beneficial.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Honestly I just buy bulk. Tastes like crap but can't beat the $/serving

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
So would leucine for strength gains via delayed muscle fatigue be best taken pre workout? And would hica do a better job at this?

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
I'm curious on this topic. I have three separate old school powerlifters , two did more than 2 times their bw on bench who swear by them and who say that all the old time powerlifters used them. The only problem is they never really specify. The one said just after ur workout and one other time during the day. This just doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone shed some light on how or why this would work?
BCAAs help with Powerlifting if you haven't ate anything 2 hours before working out, or post workout if you do not plan on eating anything post workout for hours. By help I mean help keep you in a positive nitrogen balance. I was a competitive powerlifter from 1995 to 2002 and never used BCAAs and always had a 2x bodyweight bench in competition. When I did finally try BCAAs I never saw any strength increase. Was using BCAAs by USP.

Also they may help if you have a very catabolic metabolism where if you skip a meal a day for a few days, you end up 5lbs lighter.

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
So would leucine for strength gains via delayed muscle fatigue be best taken pre workout? And would hica do a better job at this?
Actyl L carnitine would benefit you way better preworkout. Leucine like I said will keep you in a positive nitrogen balance and maybe give you some pumps.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
I'd dose leucine during. While I wouldn't expect either to provide acute strength gains, HICA is more beneficial for hypertrophy than strength gains.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Actyl L carnitine would benefit you way better preworkout. Leucine like I said will keep you in a positive nitrogen balance and maybe give you some pumps.
why do u suggest actyl l carnitine preworkout?

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Bcaa won't make you stronger overnight, but they certainly have been associated with increased hypertrophy, which in the long run means stronger.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
I'm trying to stay the same weight tho
Then lower your bodyfat. Unless your <7% or something. Bcaa won't make you gain 20lbs anyways. Maybe an extra 2lbs of muscle per year.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Either BCAA or a protein shake during a workout is all good to me. Helps keep me going imo, just got some bulk sns leucine that I will give a try at different times of the day

jwood10

Awards
i use one scoop of scivation during workout, and optimum whey post workout (which has 5g BCAA's in it). never noticed any difference between the scivation or a gatorade. i just buy it and convince myself it works. the only thing i have ever noticed that has aided my strength gains are creatine and "synthetics".