Questions about 5/3/1 BBB

Lord_Of_Iron

Lord_Of_Iron

Awards
I will do this program for gaining strength and size at same time but i'm confused about something. I read the book 5/3/1 and there is :

for example: Bench press 5/3/1
Bench press 5x10 and etc

T Nation | Boring But Big 3-Month Challenge here is different... Which is better? I think this on T-nation is better... i like more this :)

And after i found my 90% of 1rm and set as my 1RM and i calculate for every workout how much weight and when i finish 3 weeks and 4th for deload.. The next months should i find my 1RM again or continue with same 1rm from first month??

This is all for now :)

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I've done BBB from the book, haven't tried the other, but looks interesting. I say give the book version a shot & if/when you get burnt out or bored & want a change of pace, try the other. Regardless of either plan - stick to what he says. Then once you get more experience & time under the bar on the program as it is written (it's a solid program - Wendler's definitely no slouch), then you can look into your own weak points, etc

As far as 1RM - I believe he says each successful cycle, 10lbs up on squat & deads, 5lbs for OHP & bench. I've been running 5-3-1 for well over a year & have no intention of changing any time soon.

Lord_Of_Iron

Lord_Of_Iron

Awards
Idk maybe i will go with book but i more like this 3month challenge because i will do mass for 3 months and go cutting soo.. i will decide. I'm testing now 1RM for SQ/DL/OHP/BP ... And when i everything calculate i will start from Monday..

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Idk maybe i will go with book but i more like this 3month challenge because i will do mass for 3 months and go cutting soo.. i will decide. I'm testing now 1RM for SQ/DL/OHP/BP ... And when i everything calculate i will start from Monday..
To add onto what Liz said, that 10/5lb increase goes onto the original Training Max (your 1RM-10%) each month. So say you calculate your training max on squat to be 340, then cycle 2 would be 350 and so on, for all your calculated percentages. You will not be testing your maxes every month. If you feel like you should be adding more onto your max, don't. Err on the side of light. The program will balance itself out.

Id recommend getting the book. BBB, IMO, is boring. If you want to go that route, then maybe you could use variants as the BBB lift i.e. close grip, front squat, ect.

If you purchase the book, then it will explain the Periodization Bible template, which is what I personally would recommend. I believe money0351 is running it. liftandswim did that t-nation article maybe. capo180 and register also have 531 logs so you can see how they run it.

Lord_Of_Iron

Lord_Of_Iron

Awards
To add onto what Liz said, that 10/5lb increase goes onto the original Training Max (your 1RM-10%) each month. So say you calculate your training max on squat to be 340, then cycle 2 would be 350 and so on, for all your calculated percentages. You will not be testing your maxes every month. If you feel like you should be adding more onto your max, don't. Err on the side of light. The program will balance itself out.

Id recommend getting the book. BBB, IMO, is boring. If you want to go that route, then maybe you could use variants as the BBB lift i.e. close grip, front squat, ect.

If you purchase the book, then it will explain the Periodization Bible template, which is what I personally would recommend. I believe money0351 is running it. liftandswim did that t-nation article maybe. capo180 and register also have 531 logs so you can see how they run it.
Lets wait maybe they will replay here... You mean if I lifted 200x10 DL my estimated 1RM (weight x reps x .0333 + weight= estimated 1RM) is 266.6...
266.6 x .9 =239... and now after 1 month I will add 10lb to 239 or 266.6(and again calculate 90%) ??

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lets wait maybe they will replay here... You mean if I lifted 200x10 DL my estimated 1RM (weight x reps x .0333 + weight= estimated 1RM) is 266.6... 266.6 x .9 =239... and now after 1 month I will add 10lb to 239 or 266.6(and again calculate 90%) ??
Add 10/5 (lower/upper) onto 266.6 after
one complete cycle. The following months percents would then work off of 276.6 (so no taking an additional 90%, just the initial month)

It's something not explained well in Wendler text. If someone sees that I'm wrong, call me out. I feel like I just ****ing confused myself! lol I'll double check the book.

Something else that Wendler said...is that you can skip a deload. So run 6 weeks, Deload 1. Or do 3 and 1. Up to you. I keep assistance work the same (bodybuilder style) but just dial back on the compound lifts.

TBH, if your number is something like 266.6, round it down to 265.

Beyond 5/3/1 is a good book. It goes beyond the absolute basics of the program but it can add so much more to it.

PILL

Awards
If you haven't found it yet, there is a Wendler's app for the iPhone that calculates everything for you. It even tells you how many reps you need to get on each weight to beat your max.

Makes running the program stupid easy.

ehaas

ehaas

Awards
I'm a personal fan of Chad Wesley Smith's Expanded 5-3-1. Google it and it will pop right up. It's just a different take on the original 5-3-1 that incorporates a bit more volume.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Lets wait maybe they will replay here... You mean if I lifted 200x10 DL my estimated 1RM (weight x reps x .0333 + weight= estimated 1RM) is 266.6...
266.6 x .9 =239... and now after 1 month I will add 10lb to 239 or 266.6(and again calculate 90%) ??
Yeah if you calc 239 to base off for the first cycle, then cycle 2 will be 249, so on and so on.. But one thing about 5/3/1 is that running it for just 3 cycles isn't going to net you much 1rm strength. I use first set last for extra volume on the main lifts then do my own accessory work. Tried BBB it wasn't for me.