2 years til competition

AADD1021

Awards
I'm 20yrs old, been training since about 16. I've done bodybuilding training up until turning 20 when I then realized I just want to be strong. I want to lift heavy. Bodybuilding was tough and fun but I've matured and want to start pushing for numbers not looks. I'm a perfectionist. I always have to have a plan. I tried madcow 5x5 and Jim Wendlers 5/3/1. I fell in love with this program. I've been trying to creat my own plan but I'm struggling in doing so.

My unintentional bulk has left me dissatisfied with my body weight x what I lift ratio. I weigh 270+

Dead 495x1
Squat 365x1 445x1(once upon a time)
Bench 315x1

I need help getting pushed into the right direction with my training and dieting. I'm open to all critics and answering any questions. Plz help!!! I don't know what I'm doing with my training/ dieting anymore.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
How tell are you?

For me 5x5 burn me out QUICK. And never really got much of anything from the 5/3/1...

I started with a modified west side, after years of training and PLn I take bits and peaces from many programs and do what works for me. Programs should be a base to work from then modify as you go to suit you.

What class do you want to be in?

AADD1021

Awards
I'm 5'11. I'd like to drop down to 240/250. It's more comfortable at this weight when it comes to daily routines. Call it a long shot but I want to one day become elite.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Elite totals at that weight are will over 2000lbs. Way back when I was competing in the 220s elite was 1820 something equipt, i was just over that 1847. So the totals can be obtained it just alot of work.

How often are you training? What's the diet like?

AADD1021

Awards
And I understand the commitment and the fact that it'll take years to reach that. I currently train 3-4 times a week. I'm currently doing a homemade version of "I ain't doing jack sh!t" from 5/3/1.
Sun- squats only
Mon- bench only
Wed- dead only
Thu- accessories/ conditioning

6x3 @ 60% week 1
5x3 @ 70% week 2 currently on
4x3 @ 80% w3
3x3 @ 90% w4
1x1 @ 105% w5

Just playing with that atm.

Diet isn't strict at all. I try to eat 6 times a day.

Meal 1: usually depends on how late I'm running for work. If I get up early enough cereal such as wheaties/honey nut Cheerios/ cap'n crunch. Oats/ yogurt/ protein shake/ eggs when I have lots of time

Meal 2: usually 2 pieces of fruit. 2 sandos either PBJ/tuna/egg/deli

Meal 3: 2 ramen cups

Meal 4: 1 can of chicky soup

Meal 5: 4 servings of insta potatoes

Meal 6: protein shake

I'll try to eat peanuts and simple sugars all throughout the day to keep my energy lvls up. I try to eat anything with cals. So if it comes to no prep time. Fast food/junk is my option. I drink oj in the mornings at time and Choco milk after working out. Trying to consume more coffee/tea to keep me awake.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look up Cube, Juggernaut, 10/20/Life, Minimalist method. Pick a program that agrees with you and stick with it UNMODIFIED by you. The writers of these programs are world-level lifters and you cannot outsmart them when it comes to programming, I promise you that. When you are strong yourself, then you will know enough to tweak a program to make it work for you.

More important than that, in my opinion, is finding a gym and a group of lifters who are successful competitive powerlifters and latch on with them. That is where you will learn the technique and mindset to get you better fast.

Why is it that you only do your main movement three days out of the week? And why the bad diet? I thought mine was bad, but yours, you gotta at least TRY to get good meals in you that emphasize protein.

Elite raw (without powerlifting equipment like bench shirts and squat suits) at the 242 weight class is 1607.

AADD1021

Awards
I've put those in my reading lists. Could you explain your question about only doing my main lifts 3 times a week? My diet, there's no excuse. I've lost discipline. I scrounge for whatever cals I can get. My only true protein source is the shakes and milk. I need to suck it up and wake up when my alarm goes off and not hit the snooze. I can't make the excuse that I don't have food cuz I do. I just lost the motivation to cook every night or weekend. So snacks and processed junk is my quick fix.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've put those in my reading lists. Could you explain your question about only doing my main lifts 3 times a week? My diet, there's no excuse. I've lost discipline. I scrounge for whatever cals I can get. My only true protein source is the shakes and milk. I need to suck it up and wake up when my alarm goes off and not hit the snooze. I can't make the excuse that I don't have food cuz I do. I just lost the motivation to cook every night or weekend. So snacks and processed junk is my quick fix.
Yeah, I see that you come in and only do squats, bench, or deadlift, and then have a completely separate day for assistance.

If I were to run something like that and maintain the volume that's gotten me to where I am, that assistance day would be from dawn until dusk. Some philosophies state assistance should be as much as 80% of total volume.

If you've been training like a bodybuilder for a few years, you need to be spending a ton of time building muscle in places you weren't even thinking about in the past. You can't get it all done in one day. Many people structure their training as follows:

Warm-up

Main movement, however it's planned

Variant of the movement that targets weak areas of the lift, usually heavy and low rep.

Assistance for weak points of the day's lift.

Assistance work for foundational muscles of the lift trained that day, lower stress.

Something like that will work better for you.

AADD1021

Awards
I see now. Yeah I do need to balance it out, that's why I'll probably do a pre programmed plan from what you listed. Cuz I go in on those main days and crank out my main lift in 30mins. Then when It comes to the assistance day you were right it did take me forever. I spent 2hrs last Sunday working back/chest assistance. I'll be going to the gym tonight and tomorrow, so i plan just to finish my ridiculous program and start one of the ones you listed. I have a week off paid vacation next week so I'm going to sit down and really think about my training. I want to get on track to be consistent, and following a program. Also fixing my diet.

GoTigers

GoTigers

Awards
AADD1021, regarding your diet, try cooking a ton of protein (chicken breasts, burger patties etc..) once or twice a week & just keeping it in the fridge. That approach has helped me with having good food handy when I don't have time to cook.

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
I made numerous mistakes the first time I bulked a couple years ago, but the main one that I think could help you is to go into a recomp instead of a cut right now. If you cut you are going to lose a lot of your gains and trust me that sucks.

Use this link for your calories and macros:
iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

then use like myfitnesspal app or something to track everything.

I am going to be trying my first recomp in January, so I will just tell you my plan and if you like it you can try the same.
Basically I plan to stay at maintenance and every week weight myself on an empty stomach in the morning. If my weight goes up then I will lower my calories by 50. If weight drops or stays the same I will keep the calories the same for the next week. If it drops by more than a pound I will up my calories by 50 the next week

Basically this should allow you to slowly lose fat, but also allow you to hold onto, and hopefully gain, muscle and strength. While cutting would cause you to lose a good amount of all 3.
If you plan to cut I would advise you to try this for 2 months first to help you solidify your muscular and strength gains, then if the recomp is not working for you move into a cut or if it is working for you stick with it.

The main idea is to lose fat with the highest calories possible not just because it is less painful, but because it is better for your goals.

I do not want to sound like I think supplements are number one, but one that I am really interested in trying for recomp is Ursolic acid, I am getting mine from true nutrition. AM just had an article about it and I think it is definitely worth the try if you want to spend around $1 a day on it. There are a few other things I am thinking of trying for recomp purposes just pm if you want me to go into more detail on that.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/content/effect-ursolic-acid-6179/

Training wise, if you are serious about competing you need to pick between powerlifting or strongman. If it is too hard to choose then train one for 6 months to a year then do a competition for fun, if you enjoy it then stick with it, but if not or you still have this urge to do the other then train it for 6 months to a year then compete in it for fun then you can decide which one you liked more.
To get to the elite level on either you have to have both feet in the water. This is not to say if you choose powerlifting you cannot throw in some strongman training, but remember your main goal and do not let it take away from that. The same goes for the reverse if you were to choose strongman in which for example overhead press would be more important than bench press.

AADD1021

Awards
GoTigers Ill start doing that this weekend cooking everything for the week in advance.

AADD1021

Awards
Jakethaniel thanks man! I'll have to try that too. I'll be starting my new program this weekend which I log through to give updates.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Look up Cube, Juggernaut, 10/20/Life, Minimalist method. Pick a program that agrees with you and stick with it UNMODIFIED by you. The writers of these programs are world-level lifters and you cannot outsmart them when it comes to programming, I promise you that. When you are strong yourself, then you will know enough to tweak a program to make it work for you.

More important than that, in my opinion, is finding a gym and a group of lifters who are successful competitive powerlifters and latch on with them. That is where you will learn the technique and mindset to get you better fast.

Why is it that you only do your main movement three days out of the week? And why the bad diet? I thought mine was bad, but yours, you gotta at least TRY to get good meals in you that emphasize protein.

Elite raw (without powerlifting equipment like bench shirts and squat suits) at the 242 weight class is 1607.
I kinda fallow juggernaut and iv gone to one of there seminars and Brandon himself says cube is a method that works for him and by all means feel free to change things to suit you the lifter, his words "programs are outlines not the rule". The program will put you on a path but its up to you to take yourself in the right direction.

As for elite totals, what association are you talkin about? Because 1607 seem very low. Not that it's not correct but just seems low.

AADD1021

Awards
I reviewed the juggernaut program as well. It was confusing to me. I like the cube method for its diversity I'm gonna try it for a while. I'm gonna sit down and make a short/ long term goal with my training. I want to get the ball rolling!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I reviewed the juggernaut program as well. It was confusing to me. I like the cube method for its diversity I'm gonna try it for a while. I'm gonna sit down and make a short/ long term goal with my training. I want to get the ball rolling!
Have been run the Cube a few times. It'll be worth the go!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I kinda fallow juggernaut and iv gone to one of there seminars and Brandon himself says cube is a method that works for him and by all means feel free to change things to suit you the lifter, his words "programs are outlines not the rule". The program will put you on a path but its up to you to take yourself in the right direction.

As for elite totals, what association are you talkin about? Because 1607 seem very low. Not that it's not correct but just seems low.
I agree totally, a program is a good outline and you have to be able to ad lib and do what works for you. I just feel that people starting out need some structure to get the ball rolling until they learn enough to make those decisions effectively.

The 1607 was the 100% RAWW (lol) Fed's standards in 2006, found on powerlifting watch. It's a no knee wraps drug free fed, I was just giving a different number so OP wasn't worrying about "How am I gonna total 2100 when my current total is 1100?"

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
I do agree that a person new to powerlifting at first should take a program and stick to it as much as possable. I'd say after a year of hard core lifting then I would say to start making small changes 1 movement at a time.

As for the total number, It still seems low even in a tested association. But I number like that is much more attainable to the natty lifter.

OP are you natty? Or open to takin the "plunge"? Not that it matters in this situation just being nosey....

AADD1021

Awards
All natty. I'm not interested in ever doing it. All natty all raw no wraps or straps, that's what I wanna go by.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
I think for the most part west side is the easiest to start with ( baring some crazy sh!t they do). Think it might be a good place to start sense there is so much info about it out there that doesn't need to be payed for...

I would not have you just jump into 1-3 rep range if your are used to doin 8+ range. If your doin 8+reps I would down it to 5-6 reps for 2wks with 3-4sets then take it to 3-4reps for 3-5sets for another 2 wks then take at least 3-4 days off from any work max out to assess a new max. Then take any workout you decide to do from there. That way you have a true new max to start Rollin on, cuz most routines call for percentages of your max.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I think for the most part west side is the easiest to start with ( baring some crazy sh!t they do). Think it might be a good place to start sense there is so much info about it out there that doesn't need to be payed for.
here is where opinions can make things confusing. IMO westside is far to complicated even for experienced program designers. the cube is a great variation that has far better information even for those that have no idea how to program correctly. westside at its core is a westernized conjugate method. the cube is the same in that it utilizes speed work, rep work, and max effort work. it also does it in a much simpler way to program and with tools that don't take a highly specialized gym with specialized equipment. it is much more lenient on its programming tolerances as well.

most people need to bring up a basic level of strength before they worry about cycling max effort lifts every 2-3 weeks to hammer out weaknesses and avoid CNS plateaus. they just need to simply get stronger in the basic lifts first. lifting is also a skill as well as strength based and the conjugate does not allow for enough skill work on the base movements that are needed for most. weak links can be worked just fine with the accessory work in the cube.

now if one could apply block periodization to westside that would be great especially for those that are not elite. and by block i mean to have an accumulation, transmutation, and realization phase. most people don't understand properly the long term benefits let alone the methodology of planning block periodization and lay that on top of westside/western conjugate and you get a very advanced recipe for no results for most people. now don't think i am saying westside doesn' work as it clearly does. most of us just don't have Louie to help us plan out what exercises and what variations will work for us and what accessory work we need for our current weaknesses. therefore, most of us will not be able to use it properly.

to get stronger there are many great and simple plans that will work for many years. the great plans also include how to adapt it to your needs, how to deal with resets, how to use it cycle to cycle, and other little details. it lets you think you planned it yourself while following a proven plan. that helps with belief which is a highly misunderstood and unused part of program design and associated success. some of those plans that i am familiar with are: 5/3/1 (and all of its variations), 10/20/life, the lilliebridge method and of course my previously mentioned cube method.

a great thing to do is to pick one you believe in that can fit into your life and schedule, uses equipment you have access to, and one that you belive in. do it for at least 6 months without changing anything from the base plan. then re-evaluate. maybe continue on with the same plan or move on to another. update your weak links and maxes and plan for the next 6-12 months. and feel free to ask for specific advice on details of the plan.

pkflyer36

Awards
One thing that i can say for you is that if you want to be an elite and ever have dreams of competing with those guys then you will.probably have to take the plunge. Especially considering how all of the guys youll be competing against at that level took the plunge a long time ago.

I just hate to see guys have these far reaching goals and push themselves into the ground because the gear use is so understated. Just dont lie to yourself about what youll need to do to achieve your goals if youre really serious about them

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One thing that i can say for you is that if you want to be an elite and ever have dreams of competing with those guys then you will.probably have to take the plunge. Especially considering how all of the guys youll be competing against at that level took the plunge a long time ago. I just hate to see guys have these far reaching goals and push themselves into the ground because the gear use is so understated. Just dont lie to yourself about what youll need to do to achieve your goals if youre really serious about them
I'm sorry but I disagree here. Nothing against anyone using AAS, as they're still busting their ass but achieving an elite total without steroids is achievable. Now you won't be ranked top 10 overall by any means, but gathering just that total without the use of steroids is doable.

I wouldn't want someone thinking that they can't achieve something just because they aren't on the sauce.

pkflyer36

Awards
I'm sorry but I disagree here. Nothing against anyone using AAS, as they're still busting their ass but achieving an elite total without steroids is achievable. Now you won't be ranked top 10 overall by any means, but gathering just that total without the use of steroids is doable.

I wouldn't want someone thinking that they can't achieve something just because they aren't on the sauce.
Of course i was talking about competing on the same level as those in the top. Isnt that the point of those competitions?

I personally dont use AAS but i do have hopes of bodybuilding at a professional level and know hat at some point i will need to in order to compete at the level i hope too. Thats the only point i was trying to make

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Of course i was talking about competing on the same level as those in the top. Isnt that the point of those competitions? I personally dont use AAS but i do have hopes of bodybuilding at a professional level and know hat at some point i will need to in order to compete at the level i hope too. Thats the only point i was trying to make
The guys at "top" far succeed an elite total. So if we're just talking about achieving an elite total, it can be achieved without AAS. That was my only point.

But yes, if he's expecting to climb to the top of the rankings and compete with those guys, then he would need to go that route.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
The guys at "top" far succeed an elite total. So if we're just talking about achieving an elite total, it can be achieved without AAS. That was my only point.

But yes, if he's expecting to climb to the top of the rankings and compete with those guys, then he would need to go that route.
But in saying that you know some people will never obtain a elite total no matter what they do. Being strong just isn't for everyone... Not hat I'm pointing that at the OP, just sayin.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
But in saying that you know some people will never obtain a elite total no matter what they do. Being strong just isn't for everyone... Not hat I'm pointing that at the OP, just sayin.
You're right, of course. If being strong was easy, everyone would be strong. But that has a lot more to do with brains, balls, and attitude IMO.

I think it was Dave Tate who said anyone can achieve an elite total if they have the right training, gear (PLing equipment) and attrition over time, but only a few can achieve a pro total.

AADD1021

Awards
I just want to be strong really strong. I want to able to achieve an elite total. This is just for me. When I do begin to compete I'm competing against myself. That's my biggest challenger. Knowing that I can better than who I was last year or the year before pushes me to train harder. I don't want to use gear just to be in the books. I want to lead by example in my gym/ community that anyone can achieve maximum strength as long as they train hard and push themselves. Gear was always offered to me in high school put I never wanted to do it. I trained around some guys who did use and they weren't even going anywhere. I'd have friends say "hey dude I'm almost as bug as you" "what are you on?" Then I say nothing. There faces get pale. I love it knowing people i used to workout with look at my results and try to chase them. I started this thread wanting advice and other ways to get motivated. I don't care if you do or don't use gear. You do what you do. And I hope succeed at your goals. In no offense to anyone on sauce. I want to be a natty lifer and that's final. Nothing will change my mind. But please end the discussion of gear on this thread. Thank you!

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
More power to you on staying natty... As long as you are up for workin to get to where you want to be I say do it! If your gonna stay natty compete in the tested associations to keep that under your belt. As long as you want it do it, don't worry about what others are doing do you. Train hard, keep your nose to the grind and bust your ass and you will make it there.

AADD1021

Awards
More power to you on staying natty... As long as you are up for workin to get to where you want to be I say do it! If your gonna stay natty compete in the tested associations to keep that under your belt. As long as you want it do it, don't worry about what others are doing do you. Train hard, keep your nose to the grind and bust your ass and you will make it there.
Thanks man!

AADD1021

Awards
Started the cube today, boy, was it tough. I won't lie It sucked. Almost walked out after my first exercise. I kept going though and finished strong.
1" deficit deads 1x8 @ 70% working set 135-185-225-275-315-330 hit all my reps never missed!

4" block pull 2x3@80% 135-185-225-275-315-375

Leg curl 4x10@100lbs
Back ext 1x50@100lbs

Reverse crunch 10, 10, 10
Crunches 20, 20, 20

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Cube is awesome. Helped me hammer a 33lbs PR on my squats in 2 cycles.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
2x 10 week cycles.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I enjoyed the Cube the couple times I've ran it. I'm onto other things now but I think it's a great setup still. Only used it for one meet though (my first)

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cube definitely has something going for it, been using it the last half a year or so and I'm stronger now than I've ever been without a doubt. Put 61lbs on my raw wi/out wraps total (now 1,328) in 20 wks. And I continue to see progress. It's an extremely flexible template, and like any good program asks you to really think for yourself as far as exercise selection goes to get the most out of it. And obviously if you don't work hard you're not gonna see the results, but it's simple enough that it's hard to **** it up too bad.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
What about the other 2 lifts?

What was the total poundage added in 20wks?
I ran it 3 total times. Here is where I started and ended.

*edit after double checking past PRs*
Squat 352 to 402
Bench 226 to 248
Dead lift 475 to 523

So a whopping 120lbs on my total. The deadlift came from the first 2. The squat came mostly from the second 2. The bench stayed the same the first time, jumped to where it was the second and a shoulder injury prevented anything from the 3rd. I doubt I will see anything like those gains again on it which makes for a sad ozzie.

*edit, added more*
I also would take a deload at least once during the cycle. My body just couldn't handle all 10 weeks.

I did not do these back to back either. They were done all prior to a meet though. I filled in other periods with whatever. These increases happened over a span of 1 year and 3 weeks to be precise.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
That's a decent amount to add to a total in 30 wks.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That's a decent amount to add to a total in 30 wks.
That's what I'm saying. I picked up about 14lbs of bodyweight (fat and muscle) over that time but nothing else really changed. Anabolics were pretty much implemented in a similar fashion to peak for the meet, diet wasn't astoundingly different other than a bit more food obviously. The only real changed was Cubing it. I ultimately was doing more volume AND more practice with the competition lifts, and sticking with my accessories when I was exhausted and didn't feel like it. I just kept reminding myself that if I don't put the work in, someone else will. I realized if I missed my weights then on the platform, I'd look back and know my laziness was to blame.

It really just came down to learning to grind. Not as in grinding singles, I mean putting in the work when I'd rather go home, and pushing when I just wanted to do something easier. The Cube made me realize I need to sack up, and that I don't work nearly as hard as I thought I did, or as much as I needed to be doing.

AADD1021

Awards
So I've been having an issue with cardio. Treadmills at my gym aren't meant for 270+ lbs man doing hiit. Parking lots tend to be full when I want to do car pushes. Bikes and ellipticals have to be on meth to get my heart rate up. I started doing farmer carries? Good alternate?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
they sure can be. loaded carries can totally get the heart pumping and make you stronger. do you have a way to do Yoke walks, tire flips, or sled work at y our gym or at home?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
That's what I'm saying. I picked up about 14lbs of bodyweight (fat and muscle) over that time but nothing else really changed.
ya, i gained 15lbs in the last year too. wasnt trying either. i know a lot of it is fat though as my belt makes look like a muffin top anymore lol.

AADD1021

Awards
they sure can be. loaded carries can totally get the heart pumping and make you stronger. do you have a way to do Yoke walks, tire flips, or sled work at y our gym or at home?
Unfortunately no, my gym just has the bare essentials. It's 24/7 for 10 bucks a month. Eventually once I'm done with my prepaid year I'll switch to a gym that hopefully has more.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
ya, i gained 15lbs in the last year too. wasnt trying either. i know a lot of it is fat though as my belt makes look like a muffin top anymore lol.
Oh, I pushed like a sonofabitch this last cycle to get up to 220; I was 160 skinny/fat in highschool at 5'10" and gaining weight over 200lbs has been a long haul for me. If I'm gaining, I'm putting on fat, but I just said f it I need to get bigger. Just gonna try to recomp now at this weight for some time.

Unfortunately no, my gym just has the bare essentials. It's 24/7 for 10 bucks a month. Eventually once I'm done with my prepaid year I'll switch to a gym that hopefully has more.
Farmer's walks ftw. Just bust your ass - use the biggest dbs you can, and change directions a lot if you can't get as heavy as you really need (we only have 100s at one of my gyms, but I make em work). Making lots of turns really ups the difficulty. The gym with 200s; I just grab some heavies and charge in a straight line.

AADD1021

Awards
Week 1 is in the books for the cube. Sorry I didn't post the rest of the workouts. Week 2 starts tomorrow with explosive dead day! Stay tuned!!

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Start a thread and give us a link to it.... I want to fallow you on it