shoes for powerlifting

iddc

iddc

Awards
The ones I use now are Merrell barefoots. Almost entirely flat soles.

Well I thought these were good enough, but I'm now realizing that they're crap when trying to "grip" the floor with your feet and twisting. (esp during dl) great for bench, OHP and GPP work but may have to buy a different pair for squat/dl

Can't afford Pl shoes, and I don't want to use em.

Chucks? Anything specific? (sole, cut, etc.)

Deathclaw

Awards
Yeah just the regular converse chuck Taylor's are very a very good all round shoes for powerlifting.....I use them for all lifts I tried doing ohp in my new balance and it felt terrible, really wobbly and unstable

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried just goin barefoot/socks? I wear Nike frees and take em off every set. Works perfectly.

But! I just received my nike romaleos and I'm excited for leg day :)

iddc

iddc

Awards
Have you tried just goin barefoot/socks? I wear Nike frees and take em off every set. Works perfectly.

But! I just received my nike romaleos and I'm excited for leg day :)
Can't go with socks, floor/padding is slippery where I'm allowed to do deads.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Check out Addidas Samba soccer shoes. I've had mine for 4 years now and they have been great for all my lifts.

mjrpwrlfting

Awards
Get a pair of chucks... If you have a wide foot, get a half size smaller. Wear the **** out of them... Use them to cut the lawn, walk in the rain, wash them over and over...
Then start using them to walk out your squats. I can't tell you any better.
To compare, I had a pair of old, expensive, flat soled, wrestling shoes, pretty good. But one day I decided to pull out some ****ty chucks I had found in the goodwill bin... Fell in love. I can screw in tight to the floor... Best there is.

iddc

iddc

Awards
Get a pair of chucks... If you have a wide foot, get a half size smaller. Wear the **** out of them... Use them to cut the lawn, walk in the rain, wash them over and over...
Then start using them to walk out your squats. I can't tell you any better.
To compare, I had a pair of old, expensive, flat soled, wrestling shoes, pretty good. But one day I decided to pull out some ****ty chucks I had found in the goodwill bin... Fell in love. I can screw in tight to the floor... Best there is.
Haha! Nice explanation!

But yeah I've got wide feet (flat footed) so thanks for the size comment.

And I'll remember to wear the f**k out of them!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
chucks. some of the best lifters in the world still wear them.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I just have a pair of Canvas Nikes were similar price to Chucks but already had them so decided to use them instead. Really it's preference when I forget my shoes, i just go barefoot when it comes to squat I've never tried powerlifting shoes but heard great things so those are probably most ideal for that situation. But for deadlift anything canvas or with a flat sole should do, you don't have to buy them specifically for lifting mine are casual shoes and ones I can wear out too baring I keep them clean.

JRowe79

JRowe79

Awards
I know you said that you can't afford powerlifting shoes, but some to check out would be the VS athletics shoes. I use the Nike powerlifting shoes for my squats and for me it makes a world of difference. When I have the higher heel I feel it is easier for me to hit depth. For deadlifts, you can get relitivley cheap deadlift slippers anywhere from $10-$20 but I like chuck taylors as well, they are really good for deadlift, but I like the absolute least sole as possible and that's what the deadlift slippers give me.

iddc

iddc

Awards
I know you said that you can't afford powerlifting shoes, but some to check out would be the VS athletics shoes. I use the Nike powerlifting shoes for my squats and for me it makes a world of difference. When I have the higher heel I feel it is easier for me to hit depth. For deadlifts, you can get relitivley cheap deadlift slippers anywhere from $10-$20 but I like chuck taylors as well, they are really good for deadlift, but I like the absolute least sole as possible and that's what the deadlift slippers give me.
Yeah, can't afford em since I'd have to get them shipped all the way to Bahrain! Can't get a Pl belt either.

JRowe79

JRowe79

Awards
Yeah, can't afford em since I'd have to get them shipped all the way to Bahrain! Can't get a Pl belt either.
Well yea that is a problem then. I'm not to positive about this, but there isn't any companies that make PL shoes over there? I know a lot of people that make their own belts from leather, it may not be as good as an actual belt, but it's better than nothing. Quest Nutrition sells some pretty cheap ones, I'm sure international shipping is only $15. If you can save up some money.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sabo deadlifting shoes

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I wear the same ones you wear now and love em.... But I hear TONS of dudes on here say they lift in Chucks

jwood10

Awards
i got the reebok crossfit lite TR, but i had them customized through reebok.com. i think they were like $115. i like them, but a little pricey. i squat in chuck taylors and deadlift in my reeboks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Deads: Sabo deadlift shoes

Squat raw: Oly shoes

Squat gear: Sabo deadlift shoes

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
ASIC wrestling shoes from wherever for like $30. Super grip meant for wrestling, lightweight, flat soled