Deadlifting 375 for 3 at 165

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.56%

Deadlifting 375 for 3 at 165

I am not trying to shout from a mountain with this one, just displaying some progress. I'm used to being in the offseason (as I am currently, well sort of) and getting my weight into the 180s and low 190s. With powerlifting being part of my repertoire now (slowly), I am getting used to lifting at 165.

Video, camera angle is mostly to display the shin angle to the bar. You can still see the lifts and progression though.
    The journey of balancing a healthy lifestyle as a father & a husband. - LiftingDad.com

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

They looked pretty easy, but it doesn't look like you locked any of them out.

The knees aren't locked and it doesn't look like the hips are either.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.56%

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    They looked pretty easy, but it doesn't look like you locked any of them out.

The knees aren't locked and it doesn't look like the hips are either.
    Somebody else said that. They locked but I guess I'll have to emphasize it a bit more.
    Very cautious of Hyperextending due to a back injury a few months back.
    The journey of balancing a healthy lifestyle as a father & a husband. - LiftingDad.com
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.65%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Just squeeze your ass and look at the judge and you're finished. No need to hyperextend at the top. Nice work there, that's an easy opener or a last warmup.

I think you can clean your form up if you get the bar an inch or two further from your shins and try to set your hips just a tiny bit lower before you begin your leg drive.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.56%

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Just squeeze your ass and look at the judge and you're finished. No need to hyperextend at the top. Nice work there, that's an easy opener or a last warmup.

I think you can clean your form up if you get the bar an inch or two further from your shins and try to set your hips just a tiny bit lower before you begin your leg drive.
    Awesome tips. Agreed on form. My hips have been shooting up so I've really focused on keeping them down. I'm tempted to roll sumo to get lower. I have a long torso so mechanically this is a long way up for my body.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Lifting_Dad View Post
    so I've really focused on keeping them down.
    This is in Rippetoes, Starting Strength. There is a chain of order to keep when pulling and if you keep the order form things that should move first to last with the body's movement in relation to the execution, it all comes together in one fluid pull.
    You don't really have to strengthen anything specifically IMO, but more important, just don't let the hips come up when doing your heavy work. Slowly and over time, the form gets ingrained as you increase the loads & strength of the pull with that exact form.

so mechanically this is a long way up for my body.
    The conventional pull, is long(er) for everyone, actually.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.56%

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    This is in Rippetoes, Starting Strength. There is a chain of order to keep when pulling and if you keep the order form things that should move first to last with the body's movement in relation to the execution, it all comes together in one fluid pull.
    You don't really have to strengthen anything specifically IMO, but more important, just don't let the hips come up when doing your heavy work. Slowly and over time, the form gets ingrained as you increase the loads & strength of the pull with that exact form.

The conventional pull, is long(er) for everyone, actually.
    First part makes sense.

As far as the conventional vs. Sumo I think I phrased that wrong. I am leaning towards moving to sumo after this competition. Do you pull conventional or sumo?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 11:18 PM
  2. Deadlifting comp. for reps
    By smshannon001 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 11:19 AM
  3. Deadlift question for 5/3/1 program
    By youngandfree in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 11:43 AM
  4. Strict curl world record: At 165
    By IronWolverine in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 05:10 AM
  5. What is a decent deadlift weight for beginner?
    By firstbat71 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 01:19 AM