Squat form check!

A AesthetiX

A AesthetiX

Awards
What's up everyone! I recently have gotten into powerlifting, I hope to compete eventually.. but again, I just started so be nice! Here's a video of my attempting some new 1RM today so any feedback on form would be greatly appreciated!

As of 6 weeks ago my 1RM was only 265.

[video=youtube_share;4AKfERfL7fw]http://youtu.be/4AKfERfL7fw[/video]

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good technique, man! No flies on those squats.

The only thing I can think of is maybe initiate the squats by pushing your hips back just a tiny bit THEN dropping straight down, instead of dropping straight down right off the bat. That will load up your posterior chain more and give you a lot of tightness and drive. Which will help tremendously when the weights get heavier.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed with the above and as an adage, try to simplify your walkout so you're not waisting more energy than you need to.

Looks solid though man, congrats on the PR, there's more to come!

A AesthetiX

A AesthetiX

Awards
Good technique, man! No flies on those squats.

The only thing I can think of is maybe initiate the squats by pushing your hips back just a tiny bit THEN dropping straight down, instead of dropping straight down right off the bat. That will load up your posterior chain more and give you a lot of tightness and drive. Which will help tremendously when the weights get heavier.
Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely try out pushing back first, makes sense haha.

Agreed with the above and as an adage, try to simplify your walkout so you're not waisting more energy than you need to.

Looks solid though man, congrats on the PR, there's more to come!
Yeah, my walkout is about 7 steps haha. Thanks!

I'm considering starting a log on here posting videos maybe once a week and posting my workouts every day.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm considering starting a log on here posting videos maybe once a week and posting my workouts every day.
That's a great idea, we have a lot of experienced guys who can help clean up your technique and streamline.your training to get you setting a bunch of PRs in all of your lifts. Be sure to let me know if you start one!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looked pretty strong there guy.
Yeah agree with the others on the points and I can't tell if you are tight all over or not from the vid. Your upper portion arms etc. from the back looks locked in some, so just to cue, stay tight with everything, keep the chest up as that cements the lumbar arch and tightens everything down the p/c.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Look pretty good. Heels tend to pop off the ground in the hole.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look pretty good. Heels tend to pop off the ground in the hole.
Good eye Kris.
Could be less hamstring involved, at least at the bottom. Where do you feel the weight in your feet?
A good deal of strength, will be in those hams and utilizing them.

When you DL ( I expect you are doing that also!?) is more of your BW on your heels?
I can wiggle my toes in my shoes getting ready for a big pull.

A AesthetiX

A AesthetiX

Awards
Thanks for everyone's help! I appreciate it a ton.

Of course I deadlift! My weight is always back on my heels once I pull myself into position, I will be testing my max for deads on Tuesday so another video will surely be put up!

As for my squats, my weight does seem to fall forward, my ankle mobility at the moment is the greatest.. I have a feeling it'll be easier to sit back once I practice pushing back with my hips to initiate the movement though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Definitely want to work on that ankle/calf mobility as your heels do creep up a bit. Another thing that you need to do is stand straight up with the bar and then start walking out it. This will allow the weight to have a better shelf and it's easier to maintain your arch. What kind of shoes are you wearing?

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
Definitely want to work on that ankle/calf mobility as your heels do creep up a bit. Another thing that you need to do is stand straight up with the bar and then start walking out it. This will allow the weight to have a better shelf and it's easier to maintain your arch. What kind of shoes are you wearing?
agreed.
continuing to perform squats will be the best way to get used to heavier weights and keeping upright.
google kelly starrett ankle mobility and you'll have a good start.