Stronglifts ?? Worth it or not

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Tarting to workout and haven't been in the gym for 6 months Is this a good place to start?

Strongman Ian

Strongman Ian

Awards
Squats, pressing, and deadlift should be the staple of any training program. People who train "legs" and "back" are rarely competitors, and only limit their progress. Stick to the basics. It's why they've stood the test of time.

mikeault

Awards
I trained mostly for aesthetics for almost 20 years. This year I decided to start training for overall strength and power. I started with 5x5, experimented with the Hepburn method, reverse pyramids, and 5-3-1, and have progressed to a modified Texas method. If you're big three are sitting under 800lbs (squat, DL, and bench), 5x5 should yield great results for you. Once you approach that 1000lb mark, you'll probably need to work towards mad cow or Texas method.

5x5 helped me add about 50lbs to my squat and deadlift, and a good 30 to my bench. I've been adding between 5-20lbs to each of the big lifts since adopting the Texas method.

Work in some Olympic movements too, and you'll see some impressive results.

There's a ton of good resources for all of this online. Have fun, and good luck bro.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Can you explain that more. Are you saying until I bench 1000 pounds don't change And what is the texas style or whatever

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It all starts with building a foundation. Idc if your a powelifter, bodybuilder, strongman, crossfit guy, or just somebody that wants to get in shape. It all starts with the 3 basic compound movements. Bench, squat, and dead lift. They aren't just movements but they are patterns. The human body was built to do these.

mikeault

Awards
Can you explain that more. Are you saying until I bench 1000 pounds don't change And what is the texas style or whatever
Nope. Bench 1000lbs, no.

1000 is a benchmark of sorts. Add up your bench, deadlift, and squat. That's what I'm talking about.

Google Texas method. Way too much to post here.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Yeah I googled it and thank you for the explanation. I am only up to around 575 on the total. Bench being my most lol. Thank you. And going to stay with the simple 5x5 and work hard