Powerlifting in 19 days lots of questions!

use2Bfat

use2Bfat

Awards
I'm a Senior in High School and the powerlifting meet is April 26 and I am not prepared at all. I weigh 179 and the classes around my weight are 165 173 181 198. I want down to 173 and am currently taking protein, C4, and Creatine. Should I cut any of those out when dropping weight? Also I can only compete in bench since I have a torn ACL or did, I do it 3 times a week since I'm getting ready, I do a 10 8 6 4 2 sets on Monday mornings, a 5 4 3 2 1 sets Monday afternoon and another 5 4 3 2 1 on Friday afternoon. Is this over doing it? I have the opportunity to lift before school with my weight lifting coach to work on it as well. Side note I bench at least 240 and am wondering how competitive you think I'll be in a high school event on bench. Thanks guys!!

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
April 26th? Would that happen to be the LA Open?

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Also I've never heard of a 173 class. I think your confused. Either way don't drop weight for your first meet. It isn't necessary. At this point figure out your opening bench and your other attempts and start practicing the opener wih commands. Keep training volume low.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
x2, don't cut weight. Unless you're breaking a record, you shouldn't care what you weigh

use2Bfat

use2Bfat

Awards
Also I've never heard of a 173 class. I think your confused. Either way don't drop weight for your first meet. It isn't necessary. At this point figure out your opening bench and your other attempts and start practicing the opener wih commands. Keep training volume low.
I know it's weird but this is a high school meet so it's different

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
don't drop any weight just go the meet, have fun and learn

use2Bfat

use2Bfat

Awards
x2, don't cut weight. Unless you're breaking a record, you shouldn't care what you weigh
don't drop any weight just go the meet, have fun and learn
I have a shot at getting first in bench if I get to that weight class so there's no question, I want to get down there it's only 6 pounds. I want a medal really bad so I'm going to do whatever it takes to compete

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Honestly brother, it's your first meet, there's a lot going on, cutting weight could throw you way off your game.

But if your going to do it anyways I guess I'll ask the question. Is it a 24 hour weigh in? What are you trying to hit? Have you practiced a pause bench? Raw? Is this even a sanctioned meet of is your high school just putting it on?

use2Bfat

use2Bfat

Awards
Honestly brother, it's your first meet, there's a lot going on, cutting weight could throw you way off your game. But if your going to do it anyways I guess I'll ask the question. Is it a 24 hour weigh in? What are you trying to hit? Have you practiced a pause bench? Raw? Is this even a sanctioned meet of is your high school just putting it on?
Morning weigh in, put on for all 1 & 2 A schools in Kansas. I haven't practiced pause bench but I have increased 5 pounds a week for two weeks straight already (I put up 245 today) id like 255 on bench

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
You're going to have to pause your bench in competition. Start practicing the commands and learn the rules. You're only a few weeks out so recovery is more important right now then trying to get stronger.

Open light to build confidence. For instance, if 255 is your goal. Open with 215, then jump to 235-240 or so on your second, and if that moves really fast go ahead and try 255-260. If it's a grinder take a small jump in weight. But really, start practicing the commands! It's a whole different animal when you got to wait for an official to tell you to press the weight.

As far as if 240 is competitive at your weight and age. Maybe, depends who shows up. The federation website probably has standards you can look at as well as meet results you can try and compare.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Morning weigh in = DON'T CUT. You'll be struggling with 230 on bench if you try to drop 6lbs in 19 days. Trust me, I've seen it AND I've done it. Cost myself 30-odd pounds on my squat and 20 on bench. Just hit it hard and then take a rest the week before your meet.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How's it going OP?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome job! I just looked at the USPA standards for teens. A 250 raw bench would put you in class 1 for 165. So you'd be in probably the top 25% of competitive benchers at your age and weight. Which is awesome! You could see yourself winning smaller competitions with where you're at right now, but don't be shocked if you see some 2-3 short jacked dudes show up next weekend and bang out some 275-300 benches and take the whole thing.

use2Bfat

use2Bfat

Awards
Awesome job! I just looked at the USPA standards for teens. A 250 raw bench would put you in class 1 for 165. So you'd be in probably the top 25% of competitive benchers at your age and weight. Which is awesome! You could see yourself winning smaller competitions with where you're at right now, but don't be shocked if you see some 2-3 short jacked dudes show up next weekend and bang out some 275-300 benches and take the whole thing.
Thanks for the research, looking at the past results I can win it but like you said it depends on who shows up.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yesterday was the big day, let's hear how it went youngin!

use2Bfat

use2Bfat

Awards
I choked and missed my first lift at 230 but got it the second time then couldn't even put up 240.. I got 5th place which actually would have been 3rd in the weight class above but I'm fairly happy. Thanks for asking!!

use2Bfat

use2Bfat

Awards
When I first showed up I know I was ready to try for a PR but there were 400 contestants so when they finally got to me I had waited 5 hours for bench.