Sticky bench situation

Hyena

Hyena

Awards
Hi fellas. My bench has stuck for about 6 months and would really appreciate some advice.

Bit of background. I've trained seriously for 10 years only 2 with strength being the primary goal. All my other lifts have increased regardless of my training program.

I do a 4 day split training bench only once a week,
Day 1. Deadlift, assistance (lat and back) and traps
Day 2. Bench, assistance (only chest and tris)
Day 3. Rest
Day 4. Overhead, assistance
Day 5. Squat, fr squat, some heavy arms

Weekend rest.

As a comparison here are my other lifts as a percentage of my bp 1rm.

Narrow bench. 96%
Bench of 6" 112.5%
Bent over rows 125%
Strict oh 70%
Push press 87.5%

I've tried progressive programs and used westside principals, I've used singles doubles triples 5s etc but getting nowhere on bench. I'm currently focusing on lats and front delts as these are my current weak areas although I'm pretty balanced, as I've run out of ideas. Any help is much appreciated

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First things first, can we see a video of your form? That's always the first place to look when a lift gets stuck.

Hyena

Hyena

Awards
I'll try bud. Just have my phone and can't upload from it. Daughter broke my computer and dont have the money right now

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll try bud. Just have my phone and can't upload from it. Daughter broke my computer and dont have the money right now
Ah, I see. I'd love to help out and I think it's great that you already know how your other lifts stack up to try to pinpoint a weakness, but without seeing what happens during the actual bench press, it's hard to give good advice. There's a lot of advice to be found out there, but it might not fit for you!

One thing I saw with your split is that you train chest and tris on bench day. If you could throw a little more delt and lat work in on bench days (I know you said you started adding lats) then you'll give those groups a little nudge toward growth, which will benefit your bench. I try to work EVERY muscle involved in a lift on that lift's day.

Deadlift: Hams, quads, glutes, back

Squat: Quads, hams, glutes, upper back

Bench: Chest, tri, delts, lats

Overhead: Chest, tri, delts, lats, and some core when I remember/feel like it.

Hyena

Hyena

Awards
Many thanks, I'll adjust to mimick a more powerlifting style routine. I'll get to my buds gym and get him to upload the vid for me this week.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you benching at all on your overhead day? My first thought would be to at least try and increased frequency (just start with adding it one more day per week than what you are currently at ).

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I liked Herd's and Bolt's posts and like perhaps more frequency, lower intensity for the time being and build some work up.
Also, I am of the opinion if one keeps working near their highest intensities (especially on pressing) it stagnates, especially if you are not adding calories/BW.
2 cents...
I am just going to throw this 9 week routine out, as it worked to push my BP up over #325 (a long time back) from a stuck #290-#300 or something.

2x per week... The 70% and 75%x2's stays the same thru the 9 weeks the work sets follow

Day 1 say Mon.
70%x2
75%x2
80% 6x2 (sets of 2) Yes it is very easy to complete at first and you almost feel like you are not doing enough, but stick with it as written. It pays off.

Day 2 Say Thurs/Fri
70%x2
75%x2
80% 6x3

week 2
70x2
75x2
80 6x2 This W/O will stay the same thru the weeks...

day 2 same warmups 70-75x2's then

80%6x4 (more vol)

Day 1 80 6x2

Day 2 80 6x5 still building volume

Day1 80 6x2

day 2 80 6x6 (Last volume W/O. This might get a little tough, but do not despair if you do not get all the reps near end)

Day 1 80 6x2

Day 2 85% 5x5 (you go up 5% in weight down in sets/reps as the intensity begins to build next few weeks)

Day 1 80 6x2
2 90% 4x4 (up again 5%)

Day 1 80 6x2
Day 2 95% 3x3 (up again 5%)

Day 1 80 6x2

2 100% 2x2 (This should actually be a new PR doubling near you maxes and you should have a perhaps 5%-7% overall increase)

Day 1 80 6x2

Day 2 Try a new max @ #102%...

It is an old Russian percent routine that starts with a build of vloume, then ups into a higher intensity with lowered volume.
Be very honest with yourself in the start of your percentage of the max. In fact it might be good to start with 98% of a go in anytime, max.

Hyena

Hyena

Awards
Are you benching at all on your overhead day? My first thought would be to at least try and increased frequency (just start with adding it one more day per week than what you are currently at ).
I don't bench on my oh day, I actually use bench to assist with my oh press as am looking to compete in strongman under 105kg later this year. I do see the benefit to benching more than once a week and am trying to come up with a good alternative routine that incorporates bench x2 but doesn't hinder my other lifts.

Hyena

Hyena

Awards
Thanks Paul. I tried a similar method starting at 65% over 8 weeks. The aim being you get 105% of your max and work your percentages from the projected new 1rm.. it didn't work I actually dropped 25lbs on my bench over the 8 weeks which I just finished and is why I am here :) I think your method looks better with a ramping up of reps and weight. The last 5 weeks of my previous phase were 3x1 on working sets. A big thank you for the advice, I will try to incorporate all of the advice and post a vid this week. Take care

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know it can have the squat and or dead attached, but really, lots of guys who have tried it for the squats, just don't make it by the time you get into the volume. It worked best for my BP because I think it is easy to recover from, more so than deads and especially squats and being a natty. I am not saying it could not be done with squats, but I think one has to start with weights quite within there means in order to grab the supercompensation at the end before theyt get tanked or the CNS starts to back away.
Here it is...
http://bigguysstrength.blogspot.com/2007/03/russian-bench-program.html

I have seen it written for 3 days per week also and finishes in 6 weeks I think, where you get in on some weeks 2 big work session and then other weeks you get the 2 80% 6x2 flushing W/O's.

If you try it, all the best and let us know or log it if you can. If not, no biggie, just throwing out my 2 cents on what has worked for moi...! ;-)

Hyena

Hyena

Awards
Ah, I see. I'd love to help out and I think it's great that you already know how your other lifts stack up to try to pinpoint a weakness, but without seeing what happens during the actual bench press, it's hard to give good advice. There's a lot of advice to be found out there, but it might not fit for you!

One thing I saw with your split is that you train chest and tris on bench day. If you could throw a little more delt and lat work in on bench days (I know you said you started adding lats) then you'll give those groups a little nudge toward growth, which will benefit your bench. I try to work EVERY muscle involved in a lift on that lift's day.

Deadlift: Hams, quads, glutes, back

Squat: Quads, hams, glutes, upper back

Bench: Chest, tri, delts, lats

Overhead: Chest, tri, delts, lats, and some core when I remember/feel like it.
I am very intrigued about this training split and definitely want to give it a go. One thing though, with all the back work is there a danger of over training? What exercises would you recommend for the different days? Cheers

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nope, your back is strong and overtraining is going to come from maxing on the main movements too often. You'll find a lot of strength-oriented trainers on AM train back 2-4 times per week. I usually do a row and a lat pulldown or a pull-up for five sets apiece 2-4 times per week. You'll be fine training that way, and you'll love the results.

Hyena

Hyena

Awards
I know it can have the squat and or dead attached, but really, lots of guys who have tried it for the squats, just don't make it by the time you get into the volume. It worked best for my BP because I think it is easy to recover from, more so than deads and especially squats and being a natty. I am not saying it could not be done with squats, but I think one has to start with weights quite within there means in order to grab the supercompensation at the end before theyt get tanked or the CNS starts to back away.
Here it is...

I have seen it written for 3 days per week also and finishes in 6 weeks I think, where you get in on some weeks 2 big work session and then other weeks you get the 2 80% 6x2 flushing W/O's.

If you try it, all the best and let us know or log it if you can. If not, no biggie, just throwing out my 2 cents on what has worked for moi...! ;-)
I'm recovering from a bulging disk caused by an over zealous 660lb double dl from 12" at the end of my last phase. Once healed I will log progress on the routine. In the meantime I plan on hammering the assistance work and other pressing movements in the 5-8 rep range. I can still train I've maintained my mobility but heavy bp and dl are out until my physio gives me the all clear. I just want to get as clued up as possible ready to attack my next phase after recovery. I'll still post the vid but not heavy. If anyones had a bulging disk before, how long until you felt "normal"? Off topic I know but experience counts for everything and this is a first for me

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Supplements 11
CompeteNPC Supplements 18
vujade Evomuse 8
VS91588 IGF-1/GH 8
S Supplements 1