Road to Derby Cup Championships (Lizking’s 1st meet)

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Thanks to the motivation & knowledge I’ve gotten from my AM brethren, it’s about time to put this training to work – stepping up to do my first meet.

The meet is the APA Derby Cup Championships here in Louisville – 2/22/14 – just about 6 weeks out. I’ve been working thru 5-3-1 for about 10-11 months now. I finished the year out with theoretical 1RM of 455-DL, 295-Bench, 350-Squat. My goal was to end the new year with a 300-lb bench on paper & I just squeaked that in my last workout of the year. Granted those are on paper - I have not gone for a legit 1RM, as I work out at home with no spotter (however I did upgrade and put a full rack in my basement over the winter). Hence part of the draw to enter this competition. I just recently ordered a 10mm Inzer belt (god I hope I got the right size – pants are loose @36waist, so I ordered medium?) & wrist wraps (20in Inzer Gripper), but still waiting for them to show up. My current weight is 195, shot up starting in Oct after spending the better part of last year hovering at 180 – I’m assuming I should just go for 198, instead of messing around with trying to get in 181.

A couple questions to start:

Shoes – what to get? I lift barefoot, occasionally in 5-fingers – can/should I wear those, Chucks, or is there a better shoe you’d recommend?

Singlet – recommendations – where to buy, anything I should be looking for?

Knee wraps – wasn’t planning on it, but any reason I should/shouldn’t?

How do I structure my 5-3-1 for going into a meet? - Should I just buy the 5-3-1 for Powerlifting & read it real it real quick?

Openers/2nd/3rd attempts – I have no idea how to pick these – given that I haven’t ever hit these 1RM, do I make those the 3rd attempt or wait until closer?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First! Let do this!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks to the motivation & knowledge I’ve gotten from my AM brethren, it’s about time to put this training to work – stepping up to do my first meet.

The meet is the APA Derby Cup Championships here in Louisville – 2/22/14 – just about 6 weeks out. I’ve been working thru 5-3-1 for about 10-11 months now. I finished the year out with theoretical 1RM of 455-DL, 295-Bench, 350-Squat. My goal was to end the new year with a 300-lb bench on paper & I just squeaked that in my last workout of the year. Granted those are on paper - I have not gone for a legit 1RM, as I work out at home with no spotter (however I did upgrade and put a full rack in my basement over the winter). Hence part of the draw to enter this competition. I just recently ordered a 10mm Inzer belt (god I hope I got the right size – pants are loose @36waist, so I ordered medium?) & wrist wraps (20in Inzer Gripper), but still waiting for them to show up. My current weight is 195, shot up starting in Oct after spending the better part of last year hovering at 180 – I’m assuming I should just go for 198, instead of messing around with trying to get in 181.

A couple questions to start:

Shoes – what to get? I lift barefoot, occasionally in 5-fingers – can/should I wear those, Chucks, or is there a better shoe you’d recommend?

Singlet – recommendations – where to buy, anything I should be looking for?

Knee wraps – wasn’t planning on it, but any reason I should/shouldn’t?

How do I structure my 5-3-1 for going into a meet? - Should I just buy the 5-3-1 for Powerlifting & read it real it real quick?

Openers/2nd/3rd attempts – I have no idea how to pick these – given that I haven’t ever hit these 1RM, do I make those the 3rd attempt or wait until closer?
Shoes: Email meet director about the 5 fingers? I'd try to keep it similar to how you normally do it.

Singlet: I've never had to buy one, but I hear good things about House of Pain. I'm sure others will chime in.

Knee Wraps: Depends on how you want to compete. For this meet, I'd say no. A knee wrapped squat is a little different from an unwrapped squat. You'll also have to check with the federations that come into town, some feds say no knee wraps for raw, others allow knee wraps for raw.

At this point I'd stick with the program you have, just train straight through until a week out from the meet, and then deload. Your openers should be your best triple, your second should be a 5-10 lb PR, and then your third would be AT LEAST those goal numbers you have set for yourself.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Edit: Literally everything that The Dude said. He beat me to it.

Subbed & Good luck!!!

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Awesome! Thanks for joining!!!!

I'm about to email the director right now about the shoes -

Knee wraps - yeah - didn't figure I'd want to get involved with that quite yet, just checking as they do allow knees wrapped for protection

Another question for y'all - reading over the entry form, this is a drug-tested optional meet. I recently placed an order for x-gels/glycergrow & some other goodies (ABE, creatine, etc) - supposed to arrive today actually. Since I've got them, should I start the x-gels? These shouldn't affect the testing right?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nope, those supps will be good to go. If he says no on the shoes, I'd recommend wrestling shoes or chucks. I bought my wrestling shoes for 30-40 bucks

Edit: Not sure about the GMS actually. That might be a NCAA thing. Do they go off WADA? I wouldn't imagine them testing for glycerol concentrations. NomZ ?

I've been in drug tested classes in both of my meets, and hadn't seen a single drug test

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nope, those supps will be good to go. If he says no on the shoes, I'd recommend wrestling shoes or chucks. I bought my wrestling shoes for 30-40 bucks

Edit: Not sure about the GMS actually. That might be a NCAA thing. Do they go off WADA? I wouldn't imagine them testing for glycerol concentrations. NomZ ?

I've been in drug tested classes in both of my meets, and hadn't seen a single drug test
GMS is a no go for WADA testing.

X-Gels should not cause any problems.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards

Cool - I wasn't planning on entering a meet when I placed the order, but it's seems like a nice coincidence -

The email has been sent about shoes. (Sometimes I pull in my house slippers, but I highly doubt they'd let me use those....:stupid:)

I was just looking at the APA-WPA records - KY has no record for 198 SubMasters (age 33-39) Total, or for Squat. Bench & Dead records @ 300 & 515 -

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
GMS is a no go for WADA testing.

X-Gels should not cause any problems.
Do you think I should skip it entirely or just skip it meet day?

I just ordered the glycergrow based on what I'd been reading about it potentiating the effects of ArA

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you think I should skip it entirely or just skip it meet day?

I just ordered the glycergrow based on what I'd been reading about it potentiating the effects of ArA
I'd skip more than 1 day prior, I'm not sure how long it could be detected.

Let me confer with a colleague. I've ran X-Gels without GMS and it was good, the GMS is just optimal, not necessary.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I'd skip more than 1 day prior, I'm not sure how long it could be detected.

Let me confer with a colleague. I've ran X-Gels without GMS and it was good, the GMS is just optimal, not necessary.
OK thanks! Probably just drop it week before - yeah, didn't think it was necessary, but had read it helped.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Critique my 5-3-1 setup: I had been running the Boring but Big accessory template since I started. The last couple cycles I changed it up for just a change of pace (bro out a little with the bench variations, curious about Sumo pulls, heavy front squats are fun to me...) - OK or any suggestions?

OHP accessories:
Incline Bench - @65% - 5 sets of 10-12
Weighted Chins - 5 sets of 10-12
Pull downs, face pulls, flys as time/energy allow

DL accessories:
Sumo DL - @65% - 5 sets of 6-8
Abs - Sit-ups (weight behind head) & standing crunches (hi-cable machine)

Bench accessories:
Decline Bench - @65% - 5 sets of 10-12
Kroc Rows - 5 sets of 10-12

Squat accessories:
Front Squat - @65% - 5 sets of 6-8
Leg Curls - 5 sets of 10-12

Conditioning/mobility - treadmill &/or yoga whenever possible

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In. These guys seem to have pointed you in the right direction so far. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I might stick good mornings and/or stiff legs in there some place. Looks good though.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like it! I'd maybe throw in a little more pulling volume (rows) on deadlift day, but that's about it.

Edit: Agree with Sean as well.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
In. These guys seem to have pointed you in the right direction so far. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Good to have you along!!!!

I might stick good mornings and/or stiff legs in there some place. Looks good though.
I like it! I'd maybe throw in a little more pulling volume (rows) on deadlift day, but that's about it.

Edit: Agree with Sean as well.
OK cool - thank guys - Sean, I was just checking your GM vid today, thinking I should probably get good mornings back in rotation.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In to support! Lets do this man!

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm here!!!

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whatever shoes Are comfortable and legal. Emphasis on comfortable. You're there to lift. No wraps. You need practice in them. HOP singlet. Do the 4 weeks leading up: do your 3 weeks of 5/3/1. Only hit openers on week 3 instead of your heavy single. Then Deload week go easy and stay mobile etc. then meet day. Open with your 3 rep max. 2nd attempt your theoretical max you're pretty sure you'll hit based on calculate max, bar speed and how you feel (just hit a PR close your calculated max since you don't know) and then 3rd attempt go for broke based on bar speed and how you feel. Be confident in yourself. You'll kill it. Go for 198 class. No reason to cut.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Whatever shoes Are comfortable and legal. Emphasis on comfortable. You're there to lift. No wraps. You need practice in them. HOP singlet. Do the 4 weeks leading up: do your 3 weeks of 5/3/1. Only hit openers on week 3 instead of your heavy single. Then Deload week go easy and stay mobile etc. then meet day. Open with your 3 rep max. 2nd attempt your theoretical max you're pretty sure you'll hit based on calculate max, bar speed and how you feel (just hit a PR close your calculated max since you don't know) and then 3rd attempt go for broke based on bar speed and how you feel. Be confident in yourself. You'll kill it. Go for 198 class. No reason to cut.
Thanks man - Yeah - definitely not cutting, especially once I read the KY APA records: 198 SubMasters has no official squat or meet total records, only bench/DL (300/515)

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OK thanks! Probably just drop it week before - yeah, didn't think it was necessary, but had read it helped.
This is what we came to agree on, drop it one week out, but I wouldn't risk it personally. A 2 year or however long ban isn't worth it. How far out are you from the meet and when are you starting X-Gels?

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
This is what we came to agree on, drop it one week out, but I wouldn't risk it personally. A 2 year or however long ban isn't worth it. How far out are you from the meet and when are you starting X-Gels?
Xgels are on my porch right now waiting for me, so start with tomorrow's bench day. I'm definitely not tied to GMS, actually had no idea it would be on a list.

Forgot to add - meet is 6 weeks out

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Xgels - looks like I got the old version. I emailed the seller and waiting to hear back before I start taking them (that sorta sh!t from any business is a pet peeve of mine) that's what I get for cashing in credit card points for supps on Amazon....

If I end up keeping these, what's a good dosage?

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
ForumRunner_20140111_085537.png

ForumRunner_20140111_085600.png

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Easiest way to find out is to tell me the retailer name, I can check if they order from SNS and what batch they ordered.

What's the batch number on your bottle? That works too.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Easiest way to find out is to tell me the retailer name, I can check if they order from SNS and what batch they ordered.

What's the batch number on your bottle? That works too.

PM sent

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your inbox was full.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
cleared

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Same info on both bottles

ForumRunner_20140111_193310.png

ForumRunner_20140111_193255.png

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's definitely the old batch.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
That's definitely the old batch.
Yeah something seemed odd but it didn't register until I opened the bottle and a little cap rolled out...wait a minute....

I talked the seller about that and they swore its new.... luckily I can return the closed bottle (unlucky for the next poor schmuck that buys it from them) but took the hit on the open bottle... seller feedback time...

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah something seemed odd but it didn't register until I opened the bottle and a little cap rolled out...wait a minute....

I talked the seller about that and they swore its new.... luckily I can return the closed bottle (unlucky for the next poor schmuck that buys it from them) but took the hit on the open bottle... seller feedback time...
I'd demand a full refund from the seller, it's worth a try, tell them you contacted SNS directly and they verified it's the old batch as well.

In my experience, Amazon and Ebay is no bueno when it comes to supps. There are some legit retailers, but most are not.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
On a un/related note - anyone know if the new ABE safe for a tested meet? (Looking at the list myself, I'm sure to overlook something...)

The wife and I are starting to plan a spring beach vacation. Had a couple bottles sitting in the cabinet already - a little strength and a recomp wouldn't be bad

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I'd demand a full refund from the seller, it's worth a try, tell them you contacted SNS directly and they verified it's the old batch as well.

In my experience, Amazon and Ebay is no bueno when it comes to supps. There are some legit retailers, but most are not.
Cool I will - thanks!

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On a un/related note - anyone know if the new ABE safe for a tested meet? (Looking at the list myself, I'm sure to overlook something...)

The wife and I are starting to plan a spring beach vacation. Had a couple bottles sitting in the cabinet already - a little strength and a recomp wouldn't be bad
Link to profile? Never heard of it.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've taken a toxicology test and urinalysis while taking OG Anabeta and I've still got my career lol but that's for illegal stuff

As for WADA, I would just reference the rest of the ingredients against their banned list or ask Bolt.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm going with WADA clean, but I'm not the PES rep.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Cool. I pm'd Bolt.

The meet paper gives optional tested or not - so doesn't look like I have to test, but then again, I'm not juicing so why not go in the tested division.

I have no idea how big an event this will be. The gym its being held in is a crossfit place converted originally from an old gas station/service center

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just looked up your meet. My first meet was APA. Enter the drug tested division. I doubt you'll be drug tested, and if you are, you'll be fine dude. I've ran ABE going into both of my meets I think. The guy that runs the APA talked about how he's big on the honor system. He says if he gives the option for tested/untested, then more people will be honest. He says he will only test if he thinks someone is juicing in the tested division. He seemed pretty lenient about stuff.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Ok cool. Yeah I'd hate to get dq'd for something silly. I mean I've got the goods on hand for a prevacation recomp, not like I'm trying to sneak thru on tren

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok cool. Yeah I'd hate to get dq'd for something silly. I mean I've got the goods on hand for a prevacation recomp, not like I'm trying to sneak thru on tren
IMO, you're good. I think their rule book might expand on their drug testing policies.

Have you read their rulebook yet? If not, it would be wise to go over their commands and stuff. Some Feds differ. RPS had a bench command, APA didnt (I think)

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
IMO, you're good. I think their rule book might expand on their drug testing policies.

Have you read their rulebook yet? If not, it would be wise to go over their commands and stuff. Some Feds differ. RPS had a bench command, APA didnt (I think)
Yeah the book didn't list any specific substances just mentioned tested divisions.

I'll need to read more on the commands and such but I did at least get started on it

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah the book didn't list any specific substances just mentioned tested divisions. I'll need to read more on the commands and such but I did at least get started on it
It would be good to start practicing them and making habits. After you unrack a squat or bench, hold it until you're stabilized before you begin. That'll include swaying, unlocked knees/elbows, shifting your feet around ect. When the lift is complete, don't dump it back onto the rack ASAP. They'll tell you to rack it once you're motionless. For deadlift, just hold it long enough for you to think in your head them saying "down". I don't recall the press command taking too awfully long for bench press. The second it become motionless they called to press.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Cool - I've been trying to focus on those sorts of details more recently.

I haven't heard back about shoes yet so I went ahead and got a pair of chucks. That way I can have plenty of practice in them.