Road to Derby Cup Championships (Lizking’s 1st meet)

Page 3 of 15 First 123458 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Pardon my logbook truancy – because my basement is so far from my computer….

Squats were tough this week. Went out over the weekend, had a few drinks with friends & slept very poorly all weekend – come Sunday when it was time to squat, it showed.

I’ve been logging my calories (albeit rather loosely) aiming @3000 – given my knack for going over, I’m bumping that down a little. I keep tipping the scale over into the 200’s & I really wanna stay in 198 for this meet. I’m been upping my conditioning a little recently, & come February 1st I’m cutting alcohol & crap food. I’ve got the X-Gels going PWO supported by ALCAR & GMS (Glycergrow 2 scoops/Hemavol 1 scoop) & just started Anabeta Elite. Given all that, I’m not really concerned, just a consideration to keep an eye out & not let my cals get too out of hand.

Despite OHP just last night, having dinner with the wife’s family tonight, so I had to get my deadlifts in this morning. Not too bad, felt like I could’ve had a 6th, but had a bit of doubt if my form would hold up, so I left it.

1/18/14 – 5’s
    Squat – 205x5, 240x5, 270x6

Superset
    Front Squat 205x4, 205x4, 205x4, 205x3, 185x5
    Lying Leg Curl – 5 sets 90x10

SLDL – 185x10, 205x10, 225x10

----------

1/20/14 – pm - 204
    OHP – 120x3, 140x3, 155x6

Superset – 5x10
    Incline - 115lbs
    Chins – 12.5lbs – 3 sets, 17.5lbs - 2 sets

Superset – 3x10
    DB Lat Raise - 10lbs
    Rear DB Lat Raise - 10lbs
    Wide Grip Pulldown – 60x20, 70x20, 80x20

-----------

1/21/14 – am - 202
    Deadlift – 290x3, 330x3, 370x5

Superset – 5 sets
    Sumo DL - 290x5
    Incline board sit-ups – 10lb DB behind head
    Standing Cable Crunch – 50lbs

Good Morning – 135x10, 155x10, 175x10

Pull Downs – 60x30, 50x25 – Random addition: felt like sweating still, but didn’t feel like getting on the treadmill
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/240580-road-derby-cup.html

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  300 lbs.

Looks like some good workouts

Man u are going to be crushing the weight soon with that stack Abe is a great product imo I always took it with Erase pro have yet to try X gels maybe when I get back to work
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Duramaxhd View Post
    Looks like some good workouts

Man u are going to be crushing the weight soon with that stack Abe is a great product imo I always took it with Erase pro have yet to try X gels maybe when I get back to work
    Thanks man! yeah ABE and original Anabeta are both good stuff. They always give me a bit more appetite that in turn gives me a of a strength boost & all day pump feeling. I'll be throwing Erase in the mix after this meet, to help me cut up as I get ready for vacation - the wife got a groupon deal for 5 nights in St Lucia
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/240580-road-derby-cup.html
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  300 lbs.

That's awesome

I live in Michigan and the farthest place I've been is Chicago for a whole 6hrs then came home I really need to get out and see the world or at least more then 4 States that border each other lol
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

That's awesome

I live in Michigan and the farthest place I've been is Chicago for a whole 6hrs then came home I really need to get out and see the world or at least more then 4 States that border each other lol
    Hey not too far away - I live in Lousville now, but grew up in Indy & would go to Michigan for family trips sometimes. Yeah - I can't recommend enough getting out & seeing as much as you can of the world. Going on vacations are awesome obviously, but, like for instance I was lucky enough to get sent to Louisville's sister city in Russia (Perm) - seeing a place I barely knew existed on the other side of the globe - that has definitely stuck with me.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  300 lbs.

Russia, Japan, Germany and scottland are the four places I'd like to visit before I die but don't see that happening but u never know I never thought I would weight 200 lbs again or DL 400+ so I guess anything is possible in life just got to want it bad enough
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

anything is possible in life just got to want it bad enough
    D@mn straight!
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/powerlifting-articles/falling-forward-in-the-squat/

Bam! Now let's see if I can get my sh!tty squat together... I'm good morninging(?) the sh!t out of my heavy sets lately. Definitely need to remind myself elbows down - I try to grip a bit on the narrow side, as I feel I get my back tighter. The caveat to that I'm picking up on my elbows, triggering some of my forward motion.

something else I was pondering was to add back in calf raises just to get more acquainted with weight on my back, as I've always been able to raise at least what I squat. While I doing them previously, I would do all my squats, then once I topped off go into calf raises with the over weight.

I should be able to get videos soon - my new phone blows, but I did get a cheap gopro knock-off the other day ($35), just waiting on the memory card to show up from amazon
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

On the back squat, you can have a narrow grip to really pack those shoulders in, you just have to really focus on externally rotating your elbows under. I also flex my forearms so my wrists aren't hyper-flexed.

I found that Goodmorning-ing squats was just weak quads and being lazy. My squat has gone up a lot since I've stopped.

The X-Gels may help you recomp depending on your cals too.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    NomZ[at]seriousnutritionsolutions.com
    All posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not reflect the views of SNS.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by NomZ View Post
    On the back squat, you can have a narrow grip to really pack those shoulders in, you just have to really focus on externally rotating your elbows under. I also flex my forearms so my wrists aren't hyper-flexed.

I found that Goodmorning-ing squats was just weak quads and being lazy. My squat has gone up a lot since I've stopped.

The X-Gels may help you recomp depending on your cals too.
    OK cool - yeah I definitely see the issue of elbows coming out. While I'm sure my quads could be stronger, I think you hit nail on the head with lazy... It seems like the more I work on it & the lbs go up, the more technical the squat becomes in my mind (& hence any weak links in that chain stand out)

A recomp wouldn't be too bad Heck, I'm debating going on a straight up cut after the meet for the couple weeks before vacation - got a few goodies in the stash I've been holding on to...
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Bench – 190x3, 215x3, 240x6

Superset – 5x10
    Bench - 175lbs
    Kroc Row – 70lbs

BB Row Overhand – 135x10, 145x10, 155x10

------

Squat – 225x3, 255x3, 285x3, 275x3

Superset - 5x10
    Squat 60% - 195x10
    Lying Leg Curl – 90x10

Had a strong bench session last week, followed by some pretty crappy squats. First time squatting in my new chucks, bad day on the homefront, and a busy schedule led to my first ever testing of the safety features on my cage… My 4th rep on my heavy set (285), mentally a little shaky down in the bottom & it instantly transferred into the bar. My ass shot up way fast, I got my elbows way out. It went into a good morning & then quickly not…(forward I went into the uprights on the cage). I thought I might’ve even rolled my ankle over in the process, but it was just sore for a day & cleared up. Too funny to me that I’d been reading that elitefts squat link & totally f@cking the lift up in the same week… I guess to look on the bright side, I learned a few things that day really fast... I think I’m going to move front squats over to DL day & just do more squats on squat day (grease the groove)

Time to redeem myself & sweat it out on Overhead Press – today starts a new week…
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Full update with numbers later - sitting at my desk now & my logbook is not...

Deadlift PR - 390x3 - felt like I probably left one in the tank even... Foot still feels kinda funky when trying to move quick (between big toe & ankle), but no discomfort at all lifting. Still waiting on my belt & wrist wraps....

So after the wife hit her PR of 100x1 on bench, she tells me a week later she hit 95x5 - she might be catching the iron bug...
  13. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LizKing531 View Post

Deadlift PR - 390x3 - felt like I probably left one in the tank even... Foot still feels kinda funky when trying to move quick (between big toe & ankle), but no discomfort at all lifting. Still waiting on my belt & wrist wraps....

So after the wife hit her PR of 100x1 on bench, she tells me a week later she hit 95x5 - she might be catching the iron bug...
    Legit for that whole post. haha

Things seem to be going smoothly in here so just keep grinding man.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  14. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LizKing531 View Post

PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post

Thanks! I'm just trying to stay on course & learn along the way - AM's been a great resource to learn from those moving way more iron than I...

That whole squat debacle last week kinda bruised my precious ego....enough to have me looking forward to squatting Thursday. I caught something in one of these logs about dropping down too quick leading to getting loose - that rang some alarm bells in my head. Not to mention that since my foots been feeling a bit off, I made sure to keep everything way under control during deadlifts this week & walked away with a +2 rep PR & moved up on front squats...hmmm. The last place for my ego is under the bar...
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Numbers update (finally got my log book in front of me). OHP – out of necessity (low ceiling) I’ve always done these seated, but no backrest. I think I’m going to find a way to do these standing – outside, in my garage, something…. I definitely see the benefit in it. Incorporated more rows & cable pulls into this week. Rowing between bench sets was a nice change (was reading about that in Swanson’s log) – my sets felt better overall. I also felt like I sorta redeemed myself after last week’s craptacular squatting. I can’t remember who’s log it was in, but I’ve been trying out those facing the wall BW squats – those are going to hang around a while, as I felt more in tune today with my squat form than I had been in a little while. Getting adjusted to wearing shoes to lift, the chucks aren’t too bad – question though, do you lace the all the way up? Probably just since I haven’t had shoes on for lifting in a while, I’ve been more comfortable leaving the top 1 or 2 holes unlaced – I’m sure I’m just overthinking it

Short version – tripled each day on this 1’s week. Wanted more out of it, but looking at the last couple cycles, I hit 1 for 1’s on last cycle & 2 the one before - progress is progress, so I’ll take it.

X-Gels/ABE/ACLAR - has been a nice stack so far - seems like I'm losing bodyfat, but the scale is stuck on 200. I'll probably give the GMS another week/10days & drop it out before meet time.

Got my memory card for the camera – my next step is working on getting video up

Still waiting on House of Pain/Inzer – ordered 1/6…

1/26/14
    OHP – 130x5, 150x3, 165x3

Superset – 5x10
    Incline - 120lbs
    Chins – 15lbs

Superset – 3x10
    DB Lat Raise - 10lbs

-----------

1/27/14
    Deadlift – 310x5, 350x3, 390x3

Superset – 5 sets
    Front Squat - 205x5

Good Morning – 135x10, 155x10, 175x10

------

1/29/14
    Bench – 200x5, 230x3, 255x3

Superset – 5x10
    Bench - 175lbs
    Kroc Row – 70lbs

BB Row Overhand – 135x10, 135x10, 135x10

------

Squat – 240x5, 270x3, 300x3

Superset - 5x10
    Squat - 190x10
    Lying Leg Curl – 80x10

Thanks for stopping by
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

So yeah... Any day they feel like shipping my belt/wraps - would be nice to have ... jeez ... I paid for gear, not to stare at the eternal "processing" status of my order. I guess the "forever" in the Inzer forever belt is shipping time?

Sorry - had to vent
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  300 lbs.

Took over a month to get my belt but it was custom so that's to be expected
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Took over a month to get my belt but it was custom so that's to be expected
    Didn't get anything custom... Had they not told me 1-2 week b/o when ordered, then told me it would be any day when I emailed last week, I probably wouldn't be too bothered. I was hoping to be able to train with it before this meet, but it looks like I probably won't be able to really use it until after. Oh well...
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  300 lbs.

Thats why I hate ordering stuff off the net I'm more of an instant gratification(pay more to get it at the store) person + the the buyers remorse doesn't last as long when u don't have to wait to get it lol
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Hehe - understand that. I'm just b!tchin (want my new toys)
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Got a call today coincidentally enough. Turns out they'd been waiting on the wrist wraps. Belt is shipping today - sweet!!!!
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

And now for another infrequent update When I'm at home, our laptop is primarily for my wife's work, or for watching Netflix on, so I'm usually updating at work...

Snow day yesterday – 8th one this year for my wife (works in a school), only 2nd for me, so I stayed home, rested, & cooked tons of food – eggs & steel cut oats for breakfast, homemade bread/French toast with nuts & berries, tuna salad, beef keema (thanks elitefts – that recipe is super easy & pretty good), quinoa, protein bites, more fresh baked bread, pinto beans – we should be set for a couple days…

Everything seems to be cruising along nicely. Only concern is possibly weighing in over 198 – I’ve been holding @202, dipped under 198 only once the last couple weeks… Gotta keep diet in check, possibly throw in a little conditioning work to keep me moving. Feeling much more comfortable benching – butt lift is almost gone, only if I’m getting really gassed out, i.e. last rep of heavy set. Had a DL ephinany – maybe for the first time, everything felt a-ok. The weight popped off the floor. I was locking out reps at 315, feeling like it was a warm up (granted by the end of 360 I was huffing & puffing).

Belt should be arriving tomorrow! The wrist wraps… not so sure, but at least I can get to work breaking that belt in.

I’ve only talked to a couple of my friends about this comp & they all have given the craziest looks when I tell them why I’m not going out & drinking, etc, the next couple weeks. But on a lighter note - turns out, this meet is being held at a gym owned by a friend of a friend -

2/1/14
    OHP – 115x5, 135x5, 150x7

Superset – 5x10
    Incline - 120lbs
    Chins – 15lbs

Superset – 3x10
    DB Lat Raise - 10lbs

-----------

2/2/14
    Deadlift – 275x5, 315x5, 360x7

Superset – 5 sets
    Front Squat - 205x5, 185x5 – 4 sets
    Good Morning – 185x5

5 Sets

------

2/4/14
    Bench – 180x5, 205x5, 230x7

Superset – 5x10
    Bench - 180lbs, 175, 165, 165, 165
    Kroc Row – 75lbs

BB Row Overhand – 135x10, 135x10, 135x10
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Found a sweet sale on a video camera - set it up on a tripod, ready to film my bench today. Took it off the charger & got 1 set out before the battery went... yeah so much for taping I've gotta figure out a way to get my phone positioned to film. It's an s3 mini (bad quality phone - so much for free upgrade) - can't find a way to get it to stand up worth a sh!t, since it's all rounded & falls every which way, unlike my s2 that was basically a block. Maybe I can rig a little vise or a clamp or something...
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  300 lbs.

I like how some cases have a little kick stand on the back they never think to put one on the front somehow for filming stuff
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

I like how some cases have a little kick stand on the back they never think to put one on the front somehow for filming stuff
    Hehehe - right! My new phone just falls sideways - maybe I can use a weak clamp or something to make a psuedo holder for it. Ive gotta put my money where my mouth is...keep saying I'm gonna post vids....
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Getting back in the swing of it now - we were supposed to get all sorts of winter weather last night. We did get a bit of freezing rain/snow yesterday afternoon, but temps stayed over freezing all night & just basically rained. I was hoping to have a day at home - hit some extra conditioning & mobility work, but no.... Slept like a rock most of the night, but woke up at 4am & couldn't go back to sleep.

Despite my weird sleep, squats felt pretty good this morning. That last set took it out of me though. I didn't think I was going to be able to finish out my accessory squats at 185. Read about doing a few (5-10) bodyweight split squats between sets - tried that today & it seemed (at least mentally) to give me a little extra stability at the bottom. Also - "spread the floor" finally clicked in my head today.

Squat – 215x5, 245x5, 280x7

Superset
    Squat - 195x10, 185x4x10
    Lying Leg Curl – 85x5x10

SLDL – 205x3x10

I keep going between being anxious/excited for the meet & sorta nervous that I'm just gonna choke & miss all the lifts - confidence, eh?...
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Lean your phone against a water bottle.

Nice squats.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    Lean your phone against a water bottle.

Nice squats.
    Thanks man- work in progress... I'm pretty confident in my bench and dead, but squat has always been my weak spot.

Yeah the lean has worked before... this phone is all sorta oblong and rounded. Doesn't help that the case is slick too...

Although I'm an idiot-fighting with this phone... I'm sitting here looking at my ipod touch on my desk - it has a camera too (duh...lol)
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Hey man, once you get that first squat in you will feel better!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Hey man, once you get that first squat in you will feel better!
    This^ All nerves will go out the window when this happens.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Thanks guys! I hope so. I've played live music enough & fire shows that stage fright isn't really an issue - just performance anxiety I guess...
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Just got my belt from UPS today! Possible issue - granted its brand new amd not broken in yet, but I'm at the last notch. It seems to fit ok but there's no way I could go even one notch tighter currently. Ordered medium received medium but it seems a little on the small side. Should I keep it or send back for a large (and wait another month)?
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  300 lbs.

Edit: miss read the post
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...rlifting-belt/

alright - so I'm a belt newb. as I bend/roll/attempt to break in, I think I'll probably be ok with the one I have - just got nervous that I could only get the belt on the last hole right out of the box.
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

I dunno what to tell you, especially since it'll take you just as long to get a new one.

Worse case scenario-plenty of people will buy a somewhat used belt online.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

I had read Dave Tate mention something about loosening the belt one notch when working on squats - that's what got me thinking I might've went too small, since I was at the last notch. As I keep messing with it, I am able to get the 2nd notch without issue
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

It's a prong belt? If so, then yes, breaking it in will definitely help you to get it tighter. There's an EFS article on breaking in your belt, too, if you haven't already seen it. With your meet coming up soon, it's a good idea to work the crap out of it now to get it broken in. It took me quite awhile to break my 13mm in. I'm talking months.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    It's a prong belt? If so, then yes, breaking it in will definitely help you to get it tighter. There's an EFS article on breaking in your belt, too, if you haven't already seen it. With your meet coming up soon, it's a good idea to work the crap out of it now to get it broken in. It took me quite awhile to break my 13mm in. I'm talking months.
    Yes - single prong Inzer Forever 10mm. I've read that & currently working on it (wait until it's not all snowy to run it over with the car ..lol) I was looking at all the holes in it & being on the last one, got me thinking maybe I should've gone next size up. Just getting ahead of myself.

Learning as I go - Thanks guys -
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Sweet, let us know how you like the 10 mm. I hated my 13 mm, then went and got the 6.5 EFS one. The 10 mm intrigues me...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Smokers road to 1st plm
    By smoker145 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 1451
    Last Post: 01-27-2014, 09:02 PM
  2. Lecheek Nutrition Road to the Stanley Cup.
    By Marms in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 260
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 09:53 AM
  3. Road to OCT 10 SSA meet
    By jcp2 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-13-2008, 02:18 PM
  4. Cuffs' Road To Recovery...Let The Healing Begin!
    By Cuffs in forum General Chat
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 12:06 AM
  5. Npc: The Road To Ifbb Pro Status
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 01:49 AM