Road to Derby Cup Championships (Lizking’s 1st meet)

Page 2 of 18 First 12347 ... Last
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.45%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I'm going with WADA clean, but I'm not the PES rep.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    NomZ[at]seriousnutritionsolutions.com
    All posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not reflect the views of SNS.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Cool. I pm'd Bolt.

The meet paper gives optional tested or not - so doesn't look like I have to test, but then again, I'm not juicing so why not go in the tested division.

I have no idea how big an event this will be. The gym its being held in is a crossfit place converted originally from an old gas station/service center
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/240580-road-derby-cup.html
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.68%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

I just looked up your meet. My first meet was APA. Enter the drug tested division. I doubt you'll be drug tested, and if you are, you'll be fine dude. I've ran ABE going into both of my meets I think. The guy that runs the APA talked about how he's big on the honor system. He says if he gives the option for tested/untested, then more people will be honest. He says he will only test if he thinks someone is juicing in the tested division. He seemed pretty lenient about stuff.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Ok cool. Yeah I'd hate to get dq'd for something silly. I mean I've got the goods on hand for a prevacation recomp, not like I'm trying to sneak thru on tren
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/240580-road-derby-cup.html
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.68%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by LizKing531 View Post
    Ok cool. Yeah I'd hate to get dq'd for something silly. I mean I've got the goods on hand for a prevacation recomp, not like I'm trying to sneak thru on tren
    IMO, you're good. I think their rule book might expand on their drug testing policies.

Have you read their rulebook yet? If not, it would be wise to go over their commands and stuff. Some Feds differ. RPS had a bench command, APA didnt (I think)
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

IMO, you're good. I think their rule book might expand on their drug testing policies.

Have you read their rulebook yet? If not, it would be wise to go over their commands and stuff. Some Feds differ. RPS had a bench command, APA didnt (I think)
    Yeah the book didn't list any specific substances just mentioned tested divisions.

I'll need to read more on the commands and such but I did at least get started on it
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.68%

Yeah the book didn't list any specific substances just mentioned tested divisions. I'll need to read more on the commands and such but I did at least get started on it
    It would be good to start practicing them and making habits. After you unrack a squat or bench, hold it until you're stabilized before you begin. That'll include swaying, unlocked knees/elbows, shifting your feet around ect. When the lift is complete, don't dump it back onto the rack ASAP. They'll tell you to rack it once you're motionless. For deadlift, just hold it long enough for you to think in your head them saying "down". I don't recall the press command taking too awfully long for bench press. The second it become motionless they called to press.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Cool - I've been trying to focus on those sorts of details more recently.

I haven't heard back about shoes yet so I went ahead and got a pair of chucks. That way I can have plenty of practice in them.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.14%

Subbed
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Quote Originally Posted by Duramaxhd View Post
    Subbed
    welcome!
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.45%

If you cannot get the X-Gels refunded by that shady retailer, let me know and I'll tell you how to dose the old batch.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Quote Originally Posted by NomZ View Post
    If you cannot get the X-Gels refunded by that shady retailer, let me know and I'll tell you how to dose the old batch.
    Cool thanks - hopefully I can, wouldn't be surprised if I get stuck with the open bottle. I remember reading something like 10 instead of 4 caps?....
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Getting ready for sqwatz this morning, followed by conditioning I really enjoy - getting out in the forest & hiking to the top of the highest hill - find the next highest & repeat (my avi pic is from one of these hikes).

Numbers from yesterday's benching - after New Years (& before deciding on this meet) had a couple sh!tty workouts in a row, so, feeling dejected one day, I decided to back down the weight to see if I was overreaching or just a couple bad days. I'm definitely certain it was just the holidays getting to me & I'm still good to go - just getting some extra volume these last couple workouts.

Butt lift has always been my trouble spot benching and thanks to bolt10 - i read something he said about contracting the glutes hard setting up to bench, as a way to help keep the butt down - that seems to be the missing link I was looking for - no lift at all today & much much better leg drive, I felt

weight - 197
    Bench – 170x5, 195x5, 220x11

Superset 5 sets of 10
    Kroc Rows – 60lbs – 5x12
    Bench – 170lbs – 5x10

BB Row (overhand grip) - 135x10, 145x10, 155x10
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Numbers from yesterdays squats -

weight - 195

Squat -195x5, 225x5, 255x10

Supersets
    Front Squats - 205x4, 205x4, 205x4, 205x2, 195x3
    Leg Curls - 75x10, 75x10, 75x10, 75x10, 80x10

SLDL - 185x10, 195x10, 205x10
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.68%

Good stuff man. Just thought-you might be able to pick your openers out based on your third set of your 531 week.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Bloody Marys make great hydration (yesterday's hike not this morning's breakfast)

Name:  ForumRunner_20140113_083635.png
Views: 21
Size:  515.9 KB

my phone loves posting pics sideways.....
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Good stuff man. Just thought-you might be able to pick your openers out based on your third set of your 531 week.

Cool - thanks. I was thinking maybe open with or near the weight for 1's set, 2nd go for a PR, 3rd - aim for my theoretical 1RM?
  18. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.68%

Cool - thanks. I was thinking maybe open with or near the weight for 1's set, 2nd go for a PR, 3rd - aim for my theoretical 1RM?
    Sounds good. You can judge where you stand on that 1's week.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

I was thinking my best target for my first meet is to hit my on-paper 1RM. Worry about bigger numbers once I actually get some set on paper
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.05%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Open 2-3 rep max you can nail. 2nd hit a PR/max on paper. 3rd hit a big number
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  21. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.18%

http://www.marylandpowerlifting.com/...?contentID=135

It is hard to always determine going in for your first competition (it was hard for me even in my second because all my previous maxes had become openers lol), but that gives you a good idea. I like the idea of hitting an opener with what you have actually hit for an easy triple. In your case I think a solid bump on the second would be a good choice so you can make a solid 3rd attempt at or just above your theoretical 1rm. We don't want to jump too much on the second and screw over chances of hitting our third.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Thanks for the link bolt - yeah the 2nd/3rd attempts - I'm leaning towards being a bit conservative on them, as the theoretical 1RM feels like a big jump for a second attempt

Random question - preworkouts & meet day - what do you guys do?
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.68%

Just something caffeinated and Gatorade. Bring something to snack on that's easy on the stomach. My go-to was cliff bars.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Just something caffeinated and Gatorade. Bring something to snack on that's easy on the stomach. My go-to was cliff bars.
    OK great - I figured I was overthinking it (crashing midway thru the day from too much PWO early, banned stims, etc)

Cliff bars are great - those are always in my bag when hiking. The wife once unknowingly picked up some that had caffeine in them...didn't know such things existed

BTW - speaking of the wife - she seems to be digging the idea of me competing in this meet -
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

I'm getting antsy to get my belt/wrist wraps - HOP still say "processing".... (they did say 1-2 week backorder on Inzer - it's only been 7 days, but still...)
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.45%

I usually eat a small cereal breakfast before lifting, and some protein.

Sip on Focus XT, 2-3 scoops, for the whole day. Gatorade as well. Usually have a piece of fruit and a clif or protein bar after each flight, in the downtime before my warmups.
  27. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.18%

Quote Originally Posted by NomZ View Post
    I usually eat a small cereal breakfast before lifting, and some protein.

Sip on Focus XT, 2-3 scoops, for the whole day. Gatorade as well. Usually have a piece of fruit and a clif or protein bar after each flight, in the downtime before my warmups.
    This is similar to my approach. I really didn't use much for my second competition as I got a little too amped with all the adrenaline and pre-workout in my first. I did eat a quest bar or shake in between each flight and sipped on some gatorade throughout as well.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.45%

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    This is similar to my approach. I really didn't use much for my second competition as I got a little too amped with all the adrenaline and pre-workout in my first. I did eat a quest bar or shake in between each flight and sipped on some gatorade throughout as well.
    Oh ya, I also snap an ammonia cap on my 3rd squat and 3rd deadlift.
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.05%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Thanks for the link bolt - yeah the 2nd/3rd attempts - I'm leaning towards being a bit conservative on them, as the theoretical 1RM feels like a big jump for a second attempt

The second jump is a big jump but you should know you can hit it. Herder and napalm really helped me pick out mine so I would talk to them more about this.

I eat a solid breakfast and then a snack like a clif bar like the guys have been saying and I chug water and drink a Gatorade throughout as well slowly. I was pissing every 30 minutes but felt great. Depends what time lifting starting for what you should eat too. I wake up and eat then back to bed then up again for light meal but that's just me.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

That works - I've got a jug of CF Focus XT at home - Add a couple cliff bars, gatorade, cup of coffee - good to go.

Yeah - the ammonia is tempting, but that's one I think I'll leave out until a later meet -
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.45%

That works - I've got a jug of CF Focus XT at home - Add a couple cliff bars, gatorade, cup of coffee - good to go.

Yeah - the ammonia is tempting, but that's one I think I'll leave out until a later meet -
    I'd agree, or if you want to use it, try it in training on ME lifts a few times so you know exactly what to expect. That's what I did before my first meet, and it worked fine.
  32. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Finally remembered to grab my logbook – here’s some numbers for this week. I moved bench up a day, as I play music & picked up a gig tonight. I’ll just have a rest day between bench & squat. Still waiting on my belt/wrist wraps. HOP said that Inzer’s backed up & I should expect it to ship in a couple days…. I hope… Finally got myself some chalk – d@mn that made a noticeable difference on deads.

1/14/14 – pm - 198
    OHP – 115x5, 130x5, 150x7

Superset – 5x10
    Incline @65% - 115lbs
    Chins – 12.5lbs

Superset – 3x10
    DB Lat Raise - 10lbs
    Rear DB Lat Raise - 10lbs
    Wide Grip Pulldown – 60, 70, 80lbs

-----------

1/15/14 – am - 195
    Deadlift – 270x5, 310x5, 350x9

Superset
    Sumo DL @65% - 5x8
    Incline board sit-ups – 10lb DB behind head – 5x10
    Standing Cable Crunch – 5x10

Good Morning – 135lbs – 3x10

-----------

1/16/14 – pm - 196
    Bench – 175x5, 200x5, 230x8

Superset – 5x10
    Bench @65% - 175lbs
    Kroc Row – 70lbs

BB Row Overhand – 135x10, 145x10, 155x10
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.14%

Nice work

Some good bench pressin
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Quote Originally Posted by Duramaxhd View Post
    Nice work

Some good bench pressin
    Thanks man! Trying to pick up where I let things slack off around the holidays. Lo & behold - Finally starting to find my leg drive!
  35. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.69%

fwiw, this has served my pretty good as far as picking attempts:

opener - 85-87% depending on bar speed in warmups
    2nd - 92.5
    3rd - the number you trained for - you did train for a number didn't you? this can obv go up depending on bar speed of 2nd.

i take no credit for this, it's actually wendler's, but i've had success w it. so have a couple other guys here.

as far as meet day, it's highly individual and depends on whether it was a 24 hour weigh in or not. if it's a 24 hour weigh in - meaning you've already made weight the day before, you should have already replenished yourself. meet day i typically eat met-rx bars all day. my body is used to it and i don't walk around feeling full all day. i actually brought two boxes of met-rx bars to worlds with me. i drink water all day, some guys drink gatorade or a mixture of the two...
  36. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.13%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Just to add to what Napalm said some, as far as preworkouts, I personally like a stimulant boost in the AM and then right before deadlifts as I feel a little worn out sitting through the benching(lots of bench only people making it the longest lift). Just go by preference. First meet I did Uncut before and enhanced before deads, second one I did a VPX bang in the AM and a shot of brain candy before deads. Just use stuff you like if you feel you need it.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  37. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Still waiting on my belt & wraps - any friggin day now....
  38. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.68%

Inzer can suck sometimes. It took over a month for mine because I got a different colored one.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Inzer can suck sometimes. It took over a month for mine because I got a different colored one.
    yeah - kinda sucks.... I ordered the belt, wrist wraps, & gloves (for my wife) from HOP - turned out, they didn't have singlets in stock, so ended up ordering from that from Inzer - I got the singlet in 4 days.... It's officially 2weeks from order date, so can't really b!tch too much yet. I'm just anxious to get my gear!
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.62%

Sidenote: Proud of the wife- She was benching this weekend - she asked for a spot on her personal best of 90lbsx1 - gave her a couple setup tips & nailed 100lbs x1 - a 10lbs PR!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Smokers road to 1st plm
    By smoker145 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 1451
    Last Post: 01-27-2014, 11:02 PM
  2. Lecheek Nutrition Road to the Stanley Cup.
    By Marms in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 260
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
  3. Road to OCT 10 SSA meet
    By jcp2 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-13-2008, 04:18 PM
  4. Cuffs' Road To Recovery...Let The Healing Begin!
    By Cuffs in forum General Chat
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 02:06 AM
  5. Npc: The Road To Ifbb Pro Status
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 03:49 AM