Morning training

brown5150

brown5150

Awards
Are you a fan of getting up early and training first thing or would you rather do evening? I like evening better but I'm trying this whole morning thing out.
OR
Are you man enough to do both?

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depending on my work day, I feel my optimal is the mid to later afternoon. I can't get up in the morn and just go in and kill it on squats or deads. I have to have my head screwed down pretty tight for some of that stuff.

brown5150

brown5150

Awards
Depending on my work day, I feel my optimal is the mid to later afternoon. I can't get up in the morn and just go in and kill it on squats or deads. I have to have my head screwed down pretty tight for some of that stuff.
I understand that! That's been my biggest struggle lately. I've actually enjoyed it more with not having that mid day lag. But trying to go heavy on squats and deads has been quite rough.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, they are certainly more systemic and really effect the entire body to the point where, I really feel my training on those bigs lifts would suffer trying to do them that early.
BP's or any smaller group, not to much of a problem.
Now weekend morns or sometimes holidays, if I have enough time between waking up, getting some food and getting a bit energized, I have had some good mid morning killer squat or dead sessions.

Bill Pearl one of the best BBers in his day (back in the 50's 60's) used to train pretty hard at 5AM, before he would open his gym and start training others.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
the best time for 99.9% of the worlds population is when you can be most consistent.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the best time for 99.9% of the worlds population is when you can be most consistent.
This. I have to work out in the mornings based on my schedule. I prefer mid-day if I can, but that really doesn't happen for me much anymore.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have no choice but to do early a.m. workouts due to work and family life. 4 a.m. every week day, and 5:30 or 6 on weekends. Since I've been doing it for years I'm able to get heavy lifts in for DL's and squats. Just hit PR's for both in the last month actually, but I as I stated, I've been doing so for years. As long as I get in good warm ups for lower body work I'm able to go heavy without concerns for spinal issues. Plus, I feel more energized thruoghout the entire day on days I lift, and I'm able to eat like a horse with my ramped up metabolism all day. It takes some getting used to getting up that early, or early enough in general for a.m. workouts, but I feel they pay off with more dividends myself.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I prefer mornings - gets it done & over for the day, but lately I've been lifting afternoon/evenings. If I'm consistent, I don't seem to notice much difference either way. But if I start bouncing around too much - morning one day, night the next, etc - that seems to cause issues, I can't mentally get into it, I feel.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have no choice but to do early a.m. workouts due to work and family life. 4 a.m. every week day, and 5:30 or 6 on weekends. Since I've been doing it for years I'm able to get heavy lifts in for DL's and squats. It takes some getting used to getting up that early, or early enough in general for a.m. workouts, but I feel they pay off with more dividends myself.
Yeah, I can see that. It all depends on what you can accustom yourself too, and of course how bad you want something.

Sean Connery The Untouchables: What are you prepared to do???

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My training times are inconsistent. I've learned to roll with the flow. As long as I'm fed and hydrated, I'll lift whenever

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My training times are inconsistent. I've learned to roll with the flow. As long as I'm fed and hydrated, I'll lift whenever
And it seems that you have certainly been able to have it pay off for you dude...!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And it seems that you have certainly been able to have it pay off for you dude...!
haha thanks Paul

Ideally 1000-1100ish or 1900-2000ish works for me. It's all mental, like everything else is.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do AM fasted most of the time and I adjusted to love it. I just wake up, drink my pre, get my intra, and lock and load. If I have a good workout a lot of the time my energy is up for the day. It can make the off days worse.

I can go whenever though. You get used to it.

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I do am fasted also and like it. Puts me in a good mood for the day

brown5150

brown5150

Awards
I do am fasted also and like it. Puts me in a good mood for the day
Yeah man. That's what I've been doing. As long as I can get used to getting up even earlier and being at the gym by 6am I think I'll like it more!

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Used to go in the morning fasted and loved it. Then had a baby so had to adjust and now go over my lunch break. Don't like it as much but I make it work! YOu get used to getting up early pretty quickly, enjoy!

brown5150

brown5150

Awards
Used to go in the morning fasted and loved it. Then had a baby so had to adjust and now go over my lunch break. Don't like it as much but I make it work! YOu get used to getting up early pretty quickly, enjoy!
Haha yeah man. I'm hoping so. Enjoying it so far. Don't really feel any weaker which is good!

W

wrathman10

Awards
Monday- Friday I hit the gym between 430-500 before I head to work. I usually eat before I go just a shake. At one point I was going in the morning and evening but te morning was lifting, evening cardio or make up something I didn't have time for.

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
I want to do my workouts in the morning, but I pretty much have to do them at night. Not sure whats wrong with my body or if anyone else has experienced the same phenomenon but, early in the morning, it seems my body is very poor at flushing lactic acid and I get very nauseous...and you may ask why I think thats what it is, and simply put, after all these years, thats all I can come up with. I cant figure out any other reason why I get so sick in the mornings but have no issue ever at night, except on very rare occasions where my workouts are extremely intense, which I figure its lactic acidosis.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I want to do my workouts in the morning, but I pretty much have to do them at night. Not sure whats wrong with my body or if anyone else has experienced the same phenomenon but, early in the morning, it seems my body is very poor at flushing lactic acid and I get very nauseous...and you may ask why I think thats what it is, and simply put, after all these years, thats all I can come up with. I cant figure out any other reason why I get so sick in the mornings but have no issue ever at night, except on very rare occasions where my workouts are extremely intense, which I figure its lactic acidosis.
Could be training fasted. Some people have nausea issues with that.