Respectable numbers for a beginner.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

  1. Slowclap.gif
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."


  2. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Okay, so OP weighs 200. How many 198s bench over 4 raw? That's elite. Which means that 1% of competitive powerlifters will hit that number, or that there would be approximately twenty-odd people in a given year that hit that number to competition standards. There are far more than twenty meets a year. So if you bench 400 in a competition at 198 and take second place, you either live close to one of the baddest benchers on the planet, or you went to a big meet (national or worlds).

    If you show up and bench 350 at 198, you're probably gonna win the bench. But if you show up and hit double bodyweight at SHW, 308, 275, 242, anywhere in there, you win or are on the podium every single meet you enter, no matter who shows up. I guess it comes down to what you consider competitive.

    Basically, anyone can compete in powerlifting. It's about PRs, beating yourself. Don't tell a guy he won't be competitive until he adds 100lbs to each lift, that's discouraging from going on the platform and shrinking the sport.
    Several 198's bench over 400. Its pretty common.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post

    Several 198's bench over 400. Its pretty common.
    I think we're too far apart on our definitions of common and competitive to come to an agreement on the specs, at least not without a lot of haggling and trivial frustration.

    Hopefully I can break into some of those numbers, gunning for my first 2.5xbw squat and pull this weekend, definitely gonna take both for a ride at the very least! If I get a double bodyweight bench in the next few years, I'd consider myself well ahead of schedule on my progress.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  4. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post

    I think we're too far apart on our definitions of common and competitive to come to an agreement on the specs, at least not without a lot of haggling and trivial frustration.

    Hopefully I can break into some of those numbers, gunning for my first 2.5xbw squat and pull this weekend, definitely gonna take both for a ride at the very least! If I get a double bodyweight bench in the next few years, I'd consider myself well ahead of schedule on my progress.
    Perhaps. I'm just goin by what I've seen at local PL meets and what I'm exposed to in the gym.

    But here in the South is a bunch of corn fed behemoths. Its common place to see all the state & national records held by Tennessean's. I'm fairly average in my strength being able to bench 300+ @ 175. There r plenty of other guys 10-20lbs less than me that lift more than that.

    DL is even more drastic around here. I have a friend that pulled 520 @ 178lbs with terrible form, zero strength training and was at the time about 21yrs old.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by DoctorViking View Post
    Hello. I am 25 at 200lbs

    I am pretty new to lifting in general, and the three main lifts in particular.
    I just got to the point where I can put three plates (315) on the DL, squat, and BP.
    The good news is, every time I touch the bar, I hit a PR.

    I am interested in entering a PL meet. Mainly to get a feel for what it will be like, connect with the community, and to provide motivation.

    My question is this. What are respectable numbers for a first timer in my weight class? The sort of numbers that would at least not leave be dead last out of everyone attending?
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm

    As others have mentioned, lift for yourself, but if your worried about coming in last in a meet the charts in the above link should add some goals to shoot for to ease that worry.

    Having goals are good but how you place at an event really comes down to who shows up that day honestly
    PESCIENCE.COM

    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
    •   
       


  6. just go look at plw and look at your wt class. Then chase down numbers from there.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    A general rule to be competitive at meets is to

    Bench 2 times ur weight
    Squat 2.5 times
    DL 2.5-3 times
    competitive at what level? the world class? cause i could see that for sure.

    now i have only done 5 powerlifting meets yet i have won my weight class at 3 of them and i dont hit those numbers. the largest meet i was at was a local meet with 73 lifters. the smallest was a state championship meet with 25. oh, and the state championship was won with a 1800 total and according to your recommendations that guy is not competitive. he was 350lbs shy of being competitive yet he is going to nationals next year. something seems a bit off.

    i think someone is number numb here and competitive needs to be clarified. there are local/city meets, state level meets, national and world level meets. what i have seen win at local and state levels are closer to:
    bench 1.5x BW
    squat 1.5-2x BW
    deadlift 2-2.5x BW

    sure you can find examples of higher but i know you can examples of lower here as well. what is important is taking an average, or even a median. above what i listed is much closer to winning at nearly any weight class. and that is still decided upon who even shows up that day and not everyone wins. there is a reason why there are 6 classes of lifter rankings.
    http://rawpowerlifting.com/wp-conten...ifications.pdf

    lets take a male 198lbs lifter. to get a class IV total he only needs 822. that is only a 4.15x BW total. a far less cry of the above recommended 7.5x BW. 7.5x BW would get the lifter 10lbs shy of elite. and elite is usually considered the top 1% or less of the world i better dam hope your competitive at that level. hell im winning meets at 5.65x my bodyweight.

    so to wrap up, if you want to be the best in the world, aim for higher that the above recommended numbers. if you want to compete, sign up, compete and you are then a competitive powerlifter. and hopefully like all the meets i have been to you will realize that everyone is very supported of all lifters. from an 8yr old girl to a 73yr old man, to a handicapped lifter to someone that cant even lift their bodyweight to a monster with an 1800lbs total. you will see that when the effort is put forth everyone gets excited and roots for everyone even fellow competitors. hell at one meet i helped a guy wrap his knees and watched him go on to beat me. i was glad to do so as he got a PR that meet after an injury 6 months earlier. made a friend that day with that lifter too.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Several 198's bench over 400. Its pretty common.
    it is absolutely not common.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post

    competitive at what level? the world class? cause i could see that for sure.

    now i have only done 5 powerlifting meets yet i have won my weight class at 3 of them and i dont hit those numbers. the largest meet i was at was a local meet with 73 lifters. the smallest was a state championship meet with 25. oh, and the state championship was won with a 1800 total and according to your recommendations that guy is not competitive. he was 350lbs shy of being competitive yet he is going to nationals next year. something seems a bit off.

    i think someone is number numb here and competitive needs to be clarified. there are local/city meets, state level meets, national and world level meets. what i have seen win at local and state levels are closer to:
    bench 1.5x BW
    squat 1.5-2x BW
    deadlift 2-2.5x BW

    sure you can find examples of higher but i know you can examples of lower here as well. what is important is taking an average, or even a median. above what i listed is much closer to winning at nearly any weight class. and that is still decided upon who even shows up that day and not everyone wins. there is a reason why there are 6 classes of lifter rankings.
    http://rawpowerlifting.com/wp-conten...ifications.pdf

    lets take a male 198lbs lifter. to get a class IV total he only needs 822. that is only a 4.15x BW total. a far less cry of the above recommended 7.5x BW. 7.5x BW would get the lifter 10lbs shy of elite. and elite is usually considered the top 1% or less of the world i better dam hope your competitive at that level. hell im winning meets at 5.65x my bodyweight.

    so to wrap up, if you want to be the best in the world, aim for higher that the above recommended numbers. if you want to compete, sign up, compete and you are then a competitive powerlifter. and hopefully like all the meets i have been to you will realize that everyone is very supported of all lifters. from an 8yr old girl to a 73yr old man, to a handicapped lifter to someone that cant even lift their bodyweight to a monster with an 1800lbs total. you will see that when the effort is put forth everyone gets excited and roots for everyone even fellow competitors. hell at one meet i helped a guy wrap his knees and watched him go on to beat me. i was glad to do so as he got a PR that meet after an injury 6 months earlier. made a friend that day with that lifter too.
    Geeze, we're not talkin about 308 class! We're talkin the 198 class. BIG DIFFERENCE IN EXPECTATIONS FOR POWER/WEIGHT RATIO BETWEEN THOSE TWO. Read my post in context of the thread please.

    So I guess I'm world class PL'er liftin around 1120lbs at 174lbs? Is that what ur sayin? There are sssooooooo many people that could piss on my numbers in a lighter class than me.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Geeze, we're not talkin about 308 class! We're talkin the 198 class. BIG DIFFERENCE IN EXPECTATIONS FOR POWER/WEIGHT RATIO BETWEEN THOSE TWO. Read my post in context of the thread please.
    im talking about all weight classes. i used 2 as examples and showed a classification for all weight classes. at each weight class elite is:
    114 = 7.04x BW
    123 = 7.16
    132 = 7.17
    148 = 7.59
    165 = 7.62
    181 = 7.71
    198 = 7.55
    220 = 7.21
    242 = 6.64
    275 = 6.22
    308 = 5.65

    wow, at 7.5x BW you would part of the worlds elite at pretty much every weight class there is for a male. that sounds reasonable for the average person to reach, uuhmmm no it doesnt at all. even for people that train for years to reach that level there is a reason why elite is elite. its the best of the best. so your comment on being elite as a way to be competitive is so far off of realism its just sad. shows a massive skewed view of the real world. it also shows that you are just number numb. sure you know some strong guys. but is that an accurate representation of the competitive world of powerlifting, well the lifting classifications i posted prove that no, thats not the case at all. now you can argue with that but then you are arguing with an entire federation's standards and not mine. maybe you should start your own fed and start the bottom ratings as something like 7.0x BW totals and go up from there. and people that lift in that fed can then argue over what is strong or not. i'll stick to the what the other 99.999% of the world is doing in reality.

    i think this is the point where several people prove you wrong and you try and backpedal. i rarely see your posts around here, at least in the sections i frequent, but when i do see them this is a common thing with you. totally off the wall, way out there posts that are so wrong you have to wonder if you are trolling due to the massive pile of wrong that is your posts.


    Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    So I guess I'm world class PL'er liftin around 1120lbs at 174lbs? Is that what ur sayin? There are sssooooooo many people that could piss on my numbers in a lighter class than me.
    and that weight puts you in the 181 weight class with a class II ranking. according to your 7.5x BW standard to be competitive that you would not be competitive at all. so by your own statements you are not world class. by ranking accepted by rational thinking people you are a class II lifter. it would get decent competition at a state level and maybe even in some feds at a national level.

    if those people are pissing on your numbers at a lighter weight class, well that means that they would be a master or elite lifter. seeing as how they are a lighter weight class that is a good thing as they are totaling at a higher level than you are. what that has to do with anything is beyond me other than you grasping as straws. the only time you would compete with them at a meet is if you went to a USSF meet and yes, they are stronger so they would win. but then they use the Wilks score to decide the winner so they could lift less than you and still bet you, and therefore be stronger. more proof that this statement has no relevance to the topic at hand.

    i think it is clear that anyone can be competitive at any level i am curious to see how the responses continue on here. for the many years i have frequented forums it is pretty obvious what will happen though.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post

    Geeze, we're not talkin about 308 class! We're talkin the 198 class. BIG DIFFERENCE IN EXPECTATIONS FOR POWER/WEIGHT RATIO BETWEEN THOSE TWO. Read my post in context of the thread please.

    So I guess I'm world class PL'er liftin around 1120lbs at 174lbs? Is that what ur sayin? There are sssooooooo many people that could piss on my numbers in a lighter class than me.
    I come dangerously close to negging this guy when I see him post garbage like this, just so that no one in these sections takes him seriously.

    I'm sure he has other areas where his experience/knowledge is on point, but every time he tries to comment about strength sports he never has any idea what he's talking about.

  12. Told you it was a stupid argument

  13. Quote Originally Posted by DoctorViking View Post
    Thanks.
    Though getting stronger is the easy part. as a beginner, that seems to be coming easy and fast.

    As far as my program, I utilize a combo between Doggcrap and Chaos and Pain.
    Basically, I go to the gym, pick 1-3 movements, hit PRs for those, and then train them for as much weight and as many sets of 1-5 reps as I can within an hour timeframe.
    And lift at least 6 times a week.
    Lol I'm sure this'll carry your arrogant ass straight to the top of 10 Feds.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    I come dangerously close to negging this guy when I see him post garbage like this, just so that no one in these sections takes him seriously.

    I'm sure he has other areas where his experience/knowledge is on point, but every time he tries to comment about strength sports he never has any idea what he's talking about.
    Just do it.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by anonymous_bur View Post
    it is absolutely not common.
    are you joking? if you dont bench over 400 at 198 raw you dont even make the mens current list on powerliftingwatch.

  16. Edit: Nevermind this thread sucks
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  17. imo. competitive for a 198 should be 550+ / 365+ / 550+. Those are numbers that would be competitive at a small meet.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by James Fuller View Post
    imo. competitive for a 198 should be 550+ / 365+ / 550+. Those are numbers that would be competitive at a small meet.
    I've gotten 1st (lowest placing being second) place at meets, as a 198, with way lower numbers than that.

    So, those numbers are definitely not what's competitive at a meet. These also were non drug tested (APF, for those wondering. I wasn't on cycle, however.) with just under 100 lifters at each one.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    I've gotten 1st (lowest placing being second) place at meets, as a 198, with way lower numbers than that.

    So, those numbers are definitely not what's competitive at a meet. These also were non drug tested (APF, for those wondering. I wasn't on cycle, however.) with just under 100 lifters at each one.

    Did you lift against anybody? because those numbers are close to what i should total next year at 165

  20. Quote Originally Posted by James Fuller View Post
    imo. competitive for a 198 should be 550+ / 365+ / 550+. Those are numbers that would be competitive at a small meet.
    I placed best overall with 550/300/525 7/9 at my first meet and 2nd place with 600/300/485 5/9 at my second meet, which had 150+ lifters. Competed against others in the same division at both meets.

    Both at 220.

    It's gonna vary meet to meet. Telling the guy he needs elite numbers and that he won't even place on PLwatch just sounds like a dick move from everyone here. No one will achieve those their first meets, nor will there be people like that at every single meet, or at least multiple people like that.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    I placed best overall with 550/300/525 7/9 at my first meet and 2nd place with 600/300/485 5/9 at my second meet, which had 150+ lifters. Competed against others in the same division at both meets.

    Both at 220.

    It's gonna vary meet to meet. Telling the guy he needs elite numbers and that he won't even place on PLwatch just sounds like a dick move from everyone here. No one will achieve those their first meets, nor will there be people like that at every single meet, or at least multiple people like that.
    I wasnt trying to sound like a dick when i mentioned plw. I use plw to go off of, because when i compete i dont always have someone to compete against. Its just something i use as a goal or something to compare off. I won the WCO with a 1229 and the very next weekend got my butt kicked with a 1265. placed 4th that meet. competitive numbers varies from meet to meet

  22. Quote Originally Posted by James Fuller View Post
    I wasnt trying to sound like a dick when i mentioned plw. I use plw to go off of, because when i compete i dont always have someone to compete against. Its just something i use as a goal or something to compare off. I won the WCO with a 1229 and the very next weekend got my butt kicked with a 1265. placed 4th that meet. competitive numbers varies from meet to meet
    Fair enough. I just don't want the OP thinking he has to achieve all those numbers in order to be competitive. For him to be competitive at a national level, like you're striving for, then yeah his numbers suck. For a local meet, for his first time, some more work and he could possibly become competitive
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  23. OP - This is what i do. I set my goals for the meet as soon as i find out about the meet. Then use, those goals as training maxes to train with. As long as I hit those goals, then im good. If i end up getting to compete with someone the obviously im going to want to win. So strategy for if i compete against someone is to hit those goal numbers on 2nd attempts and then go big on 3rds for the win. If its just me, then ill take my time and get up to the numbers i want, on 3rd attempts.

    Look up past meets that have been held at wherever your competing at, and see what kind of numbers ppl have thrown up in the past.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

    Fair enough. I just don't want the OP thinking he has to achieve all those numbers in order to be competitive. For him to be competitive at a national level, like you're striving for, then yeah his numbers suck. For a local meet, for his first time, some more work and he could possibly become competitive
    Exactly.


    Competitive at a national level =/= competitive at most meets.

  25. Clearly you guys are passionate about your perspective on powerlifting.

    However, Jimbuick- neg away. I dont know what ur reason is other than I said something u dont agree with, lol. However you've given me plenty of reason to neg you but I wont because I'm a graceful man. None of this changes the fact that there are plenty of guys lifting twice their weight in bench pressing and deadlifting at or near 3 times their weight. Common is a relative word and ur coming back with specific arguments to attack a relative statement. Whatever ur trying to accomplish, its not working.

    I'm not tryin to start fights but finding lifter with those capabilities around my parts is easy. There are a handful at every gym in my town. And who cares? Does that somehow make u less of a man because others can lift more? Why so defensive?

    I dont get you guys. You waste so much energy on the wrong things. Just disagree and leave it alone. I'm stepping out of this thread and unsubbing for the sake of two gentleman who apparently r showing lots of hate towards me and my posts. I hope ya'll can still find the energy to lift some weights after wearing urself out on this pointless argument.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Deca only for a beginner?
    By omar castillo in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-14-2015, 10:46 PM
  2. Best shoulder exercises for a beginner
    By \/\_FIERCE_/\/ in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-09-2013, 05:51 PM
  3. My Trianing routine for a beginnning bulking cycle
    By BoneCrusher70 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-03-2007, 06:16 PM
  4. THE ideal menu planner for a beginner?!?
    By deekdesigns in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2006, 05:45 PM
  5. Please check my numbers for transdermal formula.
    By meathead1987 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Log in
Log in