Weightlifting shoes for bench?

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I know they are primarily for squat and sometimes deadlifts but how would they work for bench press and military press? Mainly for bench with just the feet not slipping while pushing with the heel for leg drive. I've read a lot of mixed reviews, some people say they work good and some say they aren't worth it. And if they don't work for stopping slipping and possible leg drive, what would be a good shoe to not slip?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It depends on your setup on bench. Are you more on the balls of your feet or flat on the ground?

What I would do is grab some tape for a skateboard and put them on the bottom of a shoe to use specifically for bench.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
My feet are flat on the ground and I slip in my chucks

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Skate tape them.
that's a pretty good idea. Thanks for that tip. But just curious. If weightlifting shoes or arguments sake were just as much as chucks, would they be better for leg drive and stability/slippage?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that's a pretty good idea. Thanks for that tip. But just curious. If weightlifting shoes or arguments sake were just as much as chucks, would they be better for leg drive and stability/slippage?
Traction usually isn't the reason why anyone uses those shoes, but no clue as I use just a basic minimalist shoe for benching.

My technique is to drive the heel into the ground while on the balls of my feet instead of putting weight towards the toes.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
X 2. Cool idea Rodja

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Might be useful, especially if you compete in a fed that is heels down and your a heels up bencher. I wear them for increased stability plus I still have them on from squatting.

anonymous_bur

anonymous_bur

Awards
I bench flat footed and they work well for me because I'm on the short side and it helps me have proper leg drive without having to put plates under my feet or something, plus I bench after squat as well right now and my quads are all jacked up when I'm benching so not having to flex them so much is a bonus.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Thanks for the replies boys I appreciate it

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
I love wearing my Oly Shoes for bench and military press. I bought mainly for cleans/snatch/deads/squats/ but after wearing them when benching and doing military press I was totally sold. I have the Adidas Powerlift 2.0's, awesome shoes! I used to wear Chucks, which I cant say anything bad about em, but Oly shoes just feel different/better.