calisthenics work for cardio? - AnabolicMinds.com

calisthenics work for cardio?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

calisthenics work for cardio?

Just started powerlifting about 3 months ago and I love it. I'm currently practicing the cube method, my problem is that it's recommended to do prowler/sled work and other such cardio like exercise a few days a week. I don't have access to a prowler of sled and I have 2 kids and a third on the way so I'm under a time constraint too. I'm planning on doing some car pulling/pushing twice a week by throwing the wife in the front seat of the car but she's not gonna want to do that 4-5 days a week. So I was wondering if I could throw in a calisthenics routine 2-3 days a week to make up for it, I can do this in my living room so no worries about the kids that way. Here was my idea.

Squats 50
    Push-ups 50
    Leg raises 50
    Up-downs 50
    Crunches 50

I could alternate in different activities such as dips or lunges and increase the reps as I advance.
    Bigcountry's Getting a little smaller: Epi/Stano Log

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/231194-bigcountrys-getting-little.html

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.

I really don't think calisthenics would be a big deal. Hell, even light barbell complexes would probably not be a big deal, as long as you're eating enough. I say go for it.

Although, nothing beats a weighted sled or HIIT in my opinion.
    任重道远
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrius View Post
    I really don't think calisthenics would be a big deal. Hell, even light barbell complexes would probably not be a big deal, as long as you're eating enough. I say go for it. Although, nothing beats a weighted sled or HIIT in my opinion.
    Yeah I'm gonna go push the car in a few minutes I asked the wife if she would help me out and I got the response I thought I would " your not doing this every day are you?"

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/231194-bigcountrys-getting-little.html
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.

Just finish my first time doing car pushes and my legs are burning just as good as my best leg routine.

5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

the prowler/sled is usually done as it has no eccentric portion so the muscle can recover much faster. complexes may work but keep in mind of eccentric heavy movements. you can use anything that you can push for long distances. like an old wheelbarrow without the handles and wheels for example. you could also try KB/DB swings. very little eccentric on that.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    the prowler/sled is usually done as it has no eccentric portion so the muscle can recover much faster. complexes may work but keep in mind of eccentric heavy movements. you can use anything that you can push for long distances. like an old wheelbarrow without the handles and wheels for example. you could also try KB/DB swings. very little eccentric on that.
    I was thinking about kettle bell swing but wasn't sure. Started doing car pushing Monday and that was great and got a guy from work to do it with me after our shifts. Thinking about getting some rope and making a tow so I can pull the car too. So I'm probably gonna just stick to that for now to I can save up for a sled or something.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. works for me...
    By julius kelp in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-30-2003, 04:05 PM
  2. Making Westside Work for YOU (good read)
    By iron addict in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 10:12 PM
  3. UA worked for me
    By destro19 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 01:49 PM
  4. Cardio Routine That Worked for YOU
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 10:57 AM
  5. Brown fat increases fat-burning-How to keep it working for you.
    By windwords7 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-13-2003, 05:28 PM