YOUR 2014 Powerlifting Meet Goals

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pretty simple, what do you hope to accomplish on the platform in 2014? Total elite? Qualify for nationals in your fed? Hit a huge PR? Let's hear it, then let's see your work in your journal reflect it.

Me-pull 700 raw. This has been a long time goal, and I'm going to commit myself to it regardless of class. I have a couple minor squat and total goals, but this is the big dog.

Go.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First "real" meet and pull 600 raw.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cool thread idea.

My goal for 2014 is simple. Most importantly I need to get on the platform for the first time and establish a total.

With that being said, the numbers I'm striving to reach on squat, bench, and deadlift respectively (RAW) are: 455/365/560.

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To actually do a competition. I'm getting there slowly. Then I can call myself a powerlifter.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Awesome idea. It really depends how I do on this meet coming up in December.

Sub'd

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
By the end of 2014:

Raw, whatever weight class, with knee wraps, 650-700/320-350/600

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Next year, I will squat 600, bench 400, pull 600, and total elite in some weight class.

smoker145

Get my first meet out of the way in a month. This time next year, go for a 1000 lb total, and weigh over 200.

Cool idea Swanson

Randoja

Randoja

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd like to get into my weight class top 50 on PL watch, squat 525, bench 325, Pull 575 and compete at USPA Nationals and Worlds.

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's takin ya so long?
I'm getting there. Trying to see what federation to partake in. Still dialing in the training (I'm meeting my powerlifting buddy/coach this week and its going to be a test your max week to see where I'm at/what I need to work on).

Then I gotta buy a dang singlet lol

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1)you're missing from my log too.

2) workout recovery. You know how it is when you come back from a layoff...brutal. Eat & sleep will be my protocol.
1) Not anymore.

2) I do know how it is, and your way of thinking may help with recovery. Problem is, it could hurt in other areas. I don't think that level of increase would cause much damage, and I would be willing to risk it for the results. That's just my less harder working side talking though.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dont know what it is exactly, but I need to do something with my atrocious squat. I also want to bench 400 but would be happy with 385.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dont know what it is exactly, but I need to do something with my atrocious squat. I also want to bench 400 but would be happy with 385.
You're like me. Bad build for it and sucky squats. I'm gona add this to my list. Squat 450.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's your squat at?

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How do you have a bad frame for the squat at 5'9"?

My goals: 1700 at 198 or 1800 at 220. In both instances, it's to get my squat to at least 661 and with 700 the goal.
What does height have to do with proportion? Long legs and short torso. Not bad for squat but not advantageous.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What does height have to do with proportion? Long legs and short torso. Not bad for squat but not advantageous.
You may not have the greatest leverage for it, but you're still only 5'9". If you were 6'6", then you'd have a point. I'm roughly the same height as you. A long torso makes it harder to squat than a short torso as it turns into a good morning quickly.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree, but that's not what I was talking about. And a longer torso will actually have to lean over more than a long torso to maintain proper form at the bottom of the rep. Not sure what you mean by a longer torso GMing more. Long femurs push the hips back more and the shorter torso has to lean further forward to keep the bar in the right spot. A long torso in retrospect is easier to keep upright.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My point is that a long leg, short torso build is disadvantageous to a squat.

And my legs are 36.5-37" from bottom of my feet to the bottom margin of the coxal joint. Not sure where you want that leg measurement from...

Please also see the rest of my posted above.

If you want to continue this discussion by all means shoot me a PM, but I think we ought to at least keep it on track instead of trying to pick apart each others posts.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
turn 40, done in feb

compete at an AAU meet. break nebraska state record for squat, deadlift, and total at 181.

once the above is done, eat my way back up to 198 and break the state record for squats and deads.

place top 3 overall at a highland games event. take first in weight over bar and hammer events.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
turn 40, done in feb

compete at an AAU meet. break nebraska state record for squat, deadlift, and total at 181.

once the above is done, eat my way back up to 198 and break the state record for squats and deads.

place top 3 overall at a highland games event. take first in weight over bar and hammer events.
Dude, where are you at in NE??

napalm

napalm

Awards
1. Heal

2. Nationals in May

3. Worlds in oct-nov

4. Heal...

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After reviewing the Nebraska AAU state records, I've added to my list of 2014 goals.

I'm going to demolish these;

SQ
Matt Wescott
07/16/11
BP
Mitch Bydalek
07/18/09
DL
Matt Wescott
07/16/11
TOTAL
Matt Wescott
07/16/11

PhatBoy07

Awards
After reviewing the Nebraska AAU state records, I've added to my list of 2014 goals.

I'm going to demolish these;

SQ
Matt Wescott
07/16/11
BP
Mitch Bydalek
07/18/09
DL
Matt Wescott
07/16/11
TOTAL
Matt Wescott
07/16/11
Thats for 308 weight class.... Ive never competed. But that doesn't seem very impressive at that BW weight . Id imagine guys that big should have around 600lb squat/deads, 400 bench.

My goal is to compete in my first meet. Love this sport, and the feeling of getting strong(er).

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thats for 308 weight class.... Ive never competed. But that doesn't seem very impressive at that BW weight . Id imagine guys that big should have around 600lb squat/deads, 400 bench.

My goal is to compete in my first meet. Love this sport, and the feeling of getting strong(er).
Which is why I fully intend to replace the numbers in the books with mine.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

He said "demolish" those numbers ;)

Edit: dat timing

PhatBoy07

Awards
Yea i know.... I was just wondering if my expectations of strength vs weight class was a little high.

Ive never competed, and i have no room to talk. I weigh 250. Bench 250, Sq 375, DL 415. I feel i should be alot stronger than i am. Especially feel my bench should be higher, thats my worst lift.

PhatBoy07

Awards
But none the less i still love lifting, and love getting stonger.

Dimitrius

Dimitrius

Awards
Compete in my first meet, and get at least:

425 Squat
500 DL
275 Bench

1200 total @ 198

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards

I wonder if you are making the same mistake most people make when thinking of powerlifters. That the only ones that lift are the worlds best.

Check this out
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/1793

It shows 6 classes of standards. Most people just think of masters and elites. Those IMO are the best in the state at least if not several states. Some states, a class ii total will take records. Thats why its only a state record. Heck, I won my weight class in the open with a class 3 total at my first meet years ago.

I know me and swanson are looking at AAU records too. Thats the amateur athletic union. Not professional, but amateur. If you look at other organizations you may see higher or lower records for the same state. Different orgs, different rules, for different lifters. Thats how the game is played.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^^^ AAU is a tested fed as well. Look at the numbers for USPA (untested) and you'll see some differences. Of course there will be people who skirt the rules in Feds like AAU or USAPL, but that happens at much bigger meets (worlds) vs the state-level competitions.

ironpsych

Awards
Total 1500 or more at UPA nationals (242 Raw w/wraps, Open, AD). Other than that I'd like to try and hit maybe 2-3 other PL meets and a few strongman shows (possibly qualify for NAS nationals). Also would like to see 650 on squat/dead by this time next year, a 350+ bench, and a 300+ strict overhead.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
To not embarrass myself at WPA worlds

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well after my first meet... I can say this.
Goals for 2014.

Bench 350
Dead somewhere between 650-700 (aka as close to 700 as I can get)
Squat something reasonable, more than I can now, and have a better squat overall (form)
Grow into a lean 198 before I go the rest of the way to 220.
Do at least 1 meet.

James Fuller

James Fuller

Awards
Goal for 2014 is still to compete at 165 raw (with wraps) and hit 600/405/500+ and to compete at uspa nationals and ipl worlds