First Strongman Competition

BradZahringer

BradZahringer

Awards
I will be attending my first Strongman comp Dec. 7 and just wanting any experiences ppl would share from there and some advice.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I never actually competed, but jimbuick and NomZ both have competed in strongman.

Train harder than you ever have before and don't injure yourself when you should be deloading! (Guilty of the latter)

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are the events?

Have you trained on the implements?

BradZahringer

BradZahringer

Awards
I never actually competed, but jimbuick and NomZ both have competed in strongman.

Train harder than you ever have before and don't injure yourself when you should be deloading! (Guilty of the latter)
thanks and I understand that. don't need an injury right now.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The DL is easy enough to train, the log press is weird.

Closest thing would actually probably be incline bench.

You have to create a very large shelf to press off of for it, which requires a significant arch in the back. It also removes a lot of leg drive because of the hips already being in triple extension.

Also, stabilizing at the top is rough when they get heavy. I passed out doing it last Wednesday, best advice I can give is do it fast and take small breaths at the top. Holding the breath for IAP is a killer when trying to stabilize.

BradZahringer

BradZahringer

Awards
The DL is easy enough to train, the log.press is weird.

You have to create a very large shelf to press off of for it, which requires a significant arch in the back. It also removes a lot of leg drive because of the hips already being in triple extension.

Also, stabilizing at the top is rough when they get heavy. I passed out doing it last Wednesday, best advice I can give is do it fast and take small breaths at the top. Holding the breath for IAP is a killer when trying to stabilize.
I have been told that incline bench is excellent for prep work. been hitting that and axle press and working them hard. hoping my works pays off. Being my first competition I don't expect to place first bit I am gonna try like I am in first. would you do the press or dead first?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The DL is easy enough to train, the log press is weird.

Good point. Incline press is Mike Jenkin's preferred method of overloading the log press movement. Mike knows his stuff, he's log pressed over 450 in competition IIRC. The hard part without a log is going to be how to naviagte the clean, though it's not horrible.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been told that incline bench is excellent for prep work. been hitting that and axle press and working them hard. hoping my works pays off. Being my first competition I don't expect to place first bit I am gonna try like I am in first. would you do the press or dead first?
Split them up in your training week, then come back and hit them together on an "Event Day". Do you have blocks to pull off of? Blocks are very different from pins.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I doubt I'd do them both the same day.

My training is:

DL/Conditioning/Bench/Squat/Rest/Strongman (OHP, Load, and Medley)/Rest

I placed 3rd at my first, so you never know.

Idk how much prep time you have, but I would practice the events at varying intensities a few times a week. I vary the intensity of my B/S/D between RE/DE/ME and vary the individual events on Saturday the same way, based on planes of movement (press/load/carry+drag).

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good point. Incline press is Mike Jenkin's preferred method of overloading the log press movement. Mike knows his stuff, he's log pressed over 450 in competition IIRC. The hard part without a log is going to be how to naviagte the clean, though it's not horrible.
Almost forgot about that, keep the log over the knee as opposed to closer to the hips when lapped. Then, press your chest onto it as high as possible, chin pressed into the log. From that point you squeeze it into your chest with your back and roll it up. That's the best way to do it to minimize the work done getting it onto the "shelf"

BradZahringer

BradZahringer

Awards
Split them up in your training week, then come back and hit them together on an "Event Day". Do you have blocks to pull off of? Blocks are very different from pins.
I don't have blocks made yet. I have been trying to figure out if the blocks themselves are 18 inches or if it 18 inches to top of weight.

BradZahringer

BradZahringer

Awards
I doubt I'd do them both the same day.

My training is:

DL/Conditioning/Bench/Squat/Rest/Strongman (OHP, Load, and Medley)/Rest

I placed 3rd at my first, so you never know.

Idk how much prep time you have, but I would practice the events at varying intensities a few times a week. I vary the intensity of my B/S/D between RE/DE/ME and vary the individual events on Saturday the same way, based on planes of movement (press/load/carry+drag).
I don't work em together. to much for shoulders and don't need an injury. I have a little over month till event. it's Dec. 7. I appreciate advice. all very helpful.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't have blocks made yet. I have been trying to figure out if the blocks themselves are 18 inches or if it 18 inches to top of weight.
Check the NAS website for the rules on the events.

I've never done a comp with the 18in DL so I couldn't say.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's 18in to the top of the bar.

BradZahringer

BradZahringer

Awards
It's 18in to the top of the bar.
Ok thanks. I am going to make some tomorrow. I hit a new pr on Monday of 505x1. I wasn't expecting to get that for another 3 weeks and felt foggy and felt great!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok thanks. I am going to make some tomorrow. I hit a new pr on Monday of 505x1. I wasn't expecting to get that for another 3 weeks and felt foggy and felt great!
Nice! I'll warn you, you'll look at that bar and how high it is and think it'll be easy, but it's an awkward thing, those block pulls.

BradZahringer

BradZahringer

Awards
Nice! I'll warn you, you'll look at that bar and how high it is and think it'll be easy, but it's an awkward thing, those block pulls.
I bet. Looks can be deceiving. I just killed a shoulder workout and going to do block pulls tomorrow. It looks intimidating but if I practice before hand it will surely help