Ed Coans Bench Press Training Cycle

  1. Registered User
    CalebLosie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4
    Answers
    0


    This is a training cycle that me and one of my lifting partners have started to increase our Bench Press for our lifting meets. We are currently heading into Week 3 this Sunday and I can say, I've been noticing strength gains already. The cycle is spread out into 2 days per week: heavy day and light day. Day one you do 3 excersises: Bench Press, Close Grip Bench Press, and Incline Bench Press. After we usually do a circuit that includes chest, back, and triceps and do that usually 3 times, all lighter weight with a lot of reps. On the second day, you do 2 sets of light bench press and we usually do some dumbbell work. Just click the link then enter your max bench and hit calculate, and it will fill in the charts for you. I will leave the link below. Me and my training partner are both juniors in high school and anticipate to do very well at our lifting meets this winter. I believe this is going to help us tremendously. What are your opinions, and do you have any other good workouts to increase strength and size? Please share!

    - Caleb

    .joeskopec.com/edcoanbench.html

  2. Registered User
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,044
    Answers
    0


    Dunno about Coans. Only from what I've read. Let us know how it goes.

    As for other programs? There's tons. 5/3/1, Cube Method, Westside, Shieko, Smolov ect

    Look at 5/3/1 or the Cube Method. PDFs can be found online
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. Registered User
    CalebLosie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Dunno about Coans. Only from what I've read. Let us know how it goes.

    As for other programs? There's tons. 5/3/1, Cube Method, Westside, Shieko, Smolov ect

    Look at 5/3/1 or the Cube Method. PDFs can be found online
    Alright cool thanks I've heard of most of those, just haven't really looked into them, the past few years I've been focusing my training on a mix of strength training and body building mainly I need to look in to these... And I will let everyone knows how it goes
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,454
    Answers
    1


    Where are your numbers at right now? I'd imagine at your age the only thing that you NEED to be doing is showing up and working hard.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  5. Registered User
    CalebLosie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Where are your numbers at right now? I'd imagine at your age the only thing that you NEED to be doing is showing up and working hard.
    I'm a junior in high school 16 almost 17
    I weigh about 210
    Bench: 240
    Squat: 350
    Deadlift: 410
    Clean: 205

    I'm currently in the middle of my football season so I don't do as much training during the season, but I train everyday of the week when it's not football season.
  6. Registered User
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,454
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by CalebLosie View Post

    I'm a junior in high school 16 almost 17
    I weigh about 210
    Bench: 240
    Squat: 350
    Deadlift: 410
    Clean: 205

    I'm currently in the middle of my football season so I don't do as much training during the season, but I train everyday of the week when it's not football season.
    Good stuff, youngin. You've got a great start. Keep going hard and don't be afraid to get a little low volume low intensity work in-season so your numbers don't drop and to get a little boost in recovery.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  7. Registered User
    PumpHouse's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,564
    Answers
    0


    Edited for the jnsignificance of my post lol. Herder already said it.
  8. Registered User
    CalebLosie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post

    Good stuff, youngin. You've got a great start. Keep going hard and don't be afraid to get a little low volume low intensity work in-season so your numbers don't drop and to get a little boost in recovery.
    Thanks, I plan to! I'd like to go far in powerlifting or anything with lifting, bodybuilding etc..... Right now after the season my goals are gaining size and strength and I think I just need to keep going, like you said I'm still young, and right now i need to just kick ass in the gym. Thanks
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Am I gripping the BB too close for bench pressing?
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 07:49 PM
  2. Bench Press Help
    By Swanson52 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 12:13 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2006, 05:44 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 11:03 AM
  5. Critique my training cycle
    By Flex55 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 09:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in