Prilepin's Chart, Programming and You - AnabolicMinds.com

Prilepin's Chart, Programming and You

Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I'm hoping this thread can be an informative resource on PL training programming using Prilepin's Chart as a guideline. Additionally, it will hopefully provide some discourse on programming, implementation of percentage based training, and some information on periodization.

Read about Prilepin's Chart here;

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/05/prilepins-chart/

And here;

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...%80%99s-chart/

A basic summary;

Prileipinís Chart is the result of a lot of Russian research done with Olympic weightlifters. It depicts the optimum number and range of reps given a certain percentage to increase strength. The researchers looked at bar speed, technique, and the lifterís next competition.

And the chart;

Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.

Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

WSBB uses percentages to calculate set/rep schemes for their DE/ME training days. 5/3/1 uses percentages. Cube method uses percentages. There's a reason you'll find various incarnations of this chart in every single PL program written; it's proven to work.

As a novice (<1 year of training) these principles may be a bit advanced, and a program like 5x5 or 5/3/1 would likely be the best bet. However, don't let that deter you from attempting your own programming! It's fun, it's rewarding, and you learn A LOT.

Personally, I just designed a program using undulating (waves) periodization, and incorporating each of the 4 optimal rep ranges per training block.

The key to programming with the chart is to OPTIMIZE volume. Too many ME sessions will lead to fatigue & regression. NO ME sessions may not allow you to hit the upper limit of your strength, Sam Byrd excepted.

Please, ask questions, add info, link articles; I feel this is an excellent and oft overlooked piece of the training puzzle, and we can all benefit from passing it along!
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Here's how I've blocked my own training using the chart;

I broke the weeks down in A, B, C, D, rep schedule as follows;
    Reps x sets
    A-5x5 55-66%
    B-3x6 70-80%
    C-2x5 80-90%
    D-1x3-4 90+%

I'd rotate them as follows
    DL- A, B, C, D
    BP- B, D, A, C
    SQ- D, C, B, A

Day 4 will be make up, ohp, or weak spot work.

Each block will be 4 weeks, and depending on proximity to competition I can use W5 to deload, or repeat w1-w4 again.
    •   

Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Subbed. I'll throw more links up later. Good stuff

Name:  image-2066135149.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  286.8 KB

Page 55 from Beyond 5/3/1

Periodization Bible
    http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...ization-bible/

Block Periodization
    http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...-powerlifting/

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...d-and-revised/
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.

Subbed to learn!
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Examples of acceptable sets/rep schemes using Prilepin's Chart, listed as sets x reps:

55-65: 8x3, 6x4, 5x5, 9x3, 7x4
    70-80: 6x3, 3x6, 4x4, 5x4, 4x5
    80-90: 5x3, 7x2, 4x4, 8x2, 9x2
    90+: Sets of singles or doubles, up to you how many you do. I would never do 3 or less unless you're maxing/hitting a PR max.

With the above examples, the idea is to try to hit the optimal number of total reps for each percentage. You may find though that it may be appropriate to push this by adding more reps in order to develop work capacity (especially at the lower 55-70% ranges) and strength via adding reps. Sometimes, it may be appropriate to tone it down a little. Keeping to Prilepin's number of suggested reps per set is smart because as you extend a set with the squat, bench, and deadlift, your form changes to deviate from what it normally looks like in competition, thus you're ingraining/training bad motor patterns.

With Prilepin's chart, I would also add in the time variable.

55-65: 40-80 sec rest between sets
    70-80: 1-2 min rest between sets
    80-90: 2-4 minutes rest between sets
    90+: 3-7 minutes rest
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Count me subbed. I'll look to contribute after I get home from work.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Edited my time for rest in chart above, btw.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Edited my time for rest in chart above, btw.
    Sweet! I'll be applying the time frame for 75% as we speak.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    Stats
    6'0"  247 lbs.

Subbed..... Sticky worthy???
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatBoy07 View Post
    Subbed..... Sticky worthy???
    There's already a sticky, but this thread already has more beneficial information than the stickie last updated in 2009. Maybe sticky swap??
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    There's already a sticky, but this thread already has more beneficial information than the stickie last updated in 2009. Maybe sticky swap??
    Yeah I looked at the sticky and thought we could- a) do better and b) get more traffic with a new thread. I also would like to keep this directed towards the principles within the scope of the table & associated methodologies, where the sticky is more general.

IMHO.
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post

Yeah I looked at the sticky and thought we could- a) do better and b) get more traffic with a new thread. I also would like to keep this directed towards the principles within the scope of the table & associated methodologies.

IMHO.
    Agreed. I only posted the periodization implementation links because you wrote programming.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Agreed. I only posted the periodization implementation links because you wrote programming.
    I was going to post those as it's helpful to see implementation of Prilepin's chart.

However, I'd like to add in a caveat to this chart: eccentric contractions. As Prilepin's work was done on Oly lifters, which does not have an eccentric phase, the carryover is not concrete. This becomes especially true for the geared lifter where the eccentric portion is far longer than the concentric. There is validity to using as a baseline, but I'd initially start off with less volume once you get into the >80% phases.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    However, I'd like to add in a caveat to this chart: eccentric contractions. As Prilepin's work was done on Oly lifters, which does not have an eccentric phase, the carryover is not concrete. This becomes especially true for the geared lifter where the eccentric portion is far longer than the concentric. There is validity to using as a baseline, but I'd initially start off with less volume once you get into the >80% phases.
    Agreed, it's an important consideration.
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

For sure. The chart in & of itself doesn't mean much without accompanying programming, and I think the links you posted are pure gold.
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I was going to post those as it's helpful to see implementation of Prilepin's chart.

Very valid considerations. Raw lifters can extrapolate the information pretty easily, where geared lifters have so many more variables.

Honestly, Rodja, you should start a thread on geared lifting. From the very basics to types of equipment to modifying training & recovery to optimize results for gear.

I think that'd be awesome, since it's such a different and oft-misunderstood beast.
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

http://ambesc.com/lifting/prelipins.pdf

http://www.maxfitusa.com/wp-content/.../prelipins.pdf

More of the same really. Actual text by Pripelin is really the same but much much more directed toward Olympic lifters
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Maybe sticky swap??
    Eww...
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Sub'd to read when off work. Solid thread Swanson.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I'll read through this later.
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Very valid considerations. Raw lifters can extrapolate the information pretty easily, where geared lifters have so many more variables.

Honestly, Rodja, you should start a thread on geared lifting. From the very basics to types of equipment to modifying training & recovery to optimize results for gear.

I think that'd be awesome, since it's such a different and oft-misunderstood beast.
    I may get around to that one day, but it's really hard to describe simply via text. I could make a thread simply on the basics of multi-ply gear and even that would have short comings as it depends so much on the particular fabric of the piece of gear.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

What dictates progression on the varying percentages?

For instance, yesterday I did BP (6 sets of 3) @ 70%; do I judge progression by rep speed through the work sets? If I can complete all 6 sets do I move up?

This is my only mental block with the chart. When do I know to move up in weight?
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

2 cents,
    The chart is really a guideline.
    When I got to a W/O where I was unable to get all the reps in the set (say 6x6 @ 80% or 4x4 @90% ie: Russian BP program), I tried another week. If that worked good but if not I still completed the sets with lower rep numbers perhaps or rest paused the reps to get all. Then still moved up the next week.
    Taking into consideration (more time between sets to recover more etc. etc.)
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

What dictates progression on the varying percentages?
    IMO bar speed...
  26. ITW
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    IMO bar speed...
    Agreed. To add to this, technique. Did your form fall to an unacceptable level during your last reps? If not, move up. But what do I know
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    IMO bar speed...
    That's what I would say.
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    2 cents,
    The chart is really a guideline.
    When I got to a W/O where I was unable to get all the reps in the set (say 6x6 @ 80% or 4x4 @90% ie: Russian BP program), I tried another week. If that worked good but if not I still completed the sets with lower rep numbers perhaps or rest paused the reps to get all. Then still moved up the next week.
    Taking into consideration (more time between sets to recover more etc. etc.)
    Agreed on the guideline, but I'm a dude that can only understand quantifiable factors. Because I'm a meathead

I like your approach to completing vs moving up.

I know guys like Sam Byrd use bar speed, and I totally agree in principle, but damn if I can judge it worth a shyt. That's no indictment of the approach, it's me not being able to accurately judge my own performance.

Another thing I need to get better at.
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

I vid my lifts, so I can judge it on my own. If no vid, someone who's familiar w your bar speed can do it.
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Bottom line is that it shouldn't be a grinder. I'm sure you are familiar with those and have encountered grinders on your journey to hitting 400# benches, whatever squats and near 600 deadlifts. If it is you're at the top/pushing the limit. If that's ok and fits your programming so be it. I think it's not terrible if your last rep of your last set is a grinder, especially if you're working on a weakness (a grinder at low% = strength issue, grinder at high % = power issue), but you shouldn't see those anytime before your last set IMO or you're working at a higher % than you think you are/than you intended.
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Bottom line is that it shouldn't be a grinder. I'm sure you are familiar with those and have encountered grinders on your journey to hitting 400# benches, whatever squats and near 600 deadlifts. If it is you're at the top/pushing the limit. If that's ok and fits your programming so be it. I think it's not terrible if your last rep of your last set is a grinder, especially if you're working on a weakness (a grinder at low% = strength issue, grinder at high % = power issue), but you shouldn't see those anytime before your last set IMO or you're working at a higher % than you think you are/than you intended.
    Great post.
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Great post.
    Yeah, it was a good one Toro...!
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I'd recommend using RPE instead of basing everything purely off of percentages, especially as you get to the higher end of the spectrum. For example, during the transmutation phase in block periodization, you're intentionally overreaching and you will most likely not get the allotted percentages as a result.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

When I was into PLing, I used this chart religiously when planning max attempts.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 08:06 AM
  2. Moving and you still filled the order...
    By PumpingIron in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2007, 04:43 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 09:26 PM
  4. What Anti-Virus Program Do You Use?
    By BigVrunga in forum General Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 01:43 AM
  5. And You Thought You knew D-Bol......
    By The Answer in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3