Conjugate question. - AnabolicMinds.com

Conjugate question.

1. New Member

Conjugate question.

Ok so for bench press and all the other main lifts(squats/deads) I'm aware ur supposed to change up the main lift to a different variant of that lift because after 3 weeks of over 90% maxes ud start to regress in strength. My question is would u be able to do flat bench on ur ME day one week then rack press the next ME day then back to flat bench the next. I know this would be boring for some but would it prevent strength regression. I mean ur still switching the main lift but at the same time ur using only two. Any thoughts?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Might depend on how advanced or how much room you still have for progression!?
    Are you varying stuff like grip widths or maybe bars?
    Are you using a slight incline ever, or say floor pressing?
    Chains or bands?
    Varying heights, like board maybe pin pressing?

I think the main idea, is to subtly change or switch up some, the exact demand on the body's groove just a little, to perhaps elicit a change from the same old pattern over and over again.
  3. New Member

That's actually a really good point I can't believe I didn't think of that. So what I was thinking was every other week switching from flat to rack press. So what I should do is switch the grip by a finger or so each time on both exercises and on rack press also change the pin number? I have to use rack press alot because I don't have a partner alot and the times I go to the gym it is most of the time empty so I don't have the luxury of being able to so floor presses and all that cool stuff and when I do have a spot I like to use flat just because that's the lift I want to improve so I believe in doing it somewhat frequently.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

I hear you on the alone work. I have been doing quite a few of my W/O's anymore, alone. I always press in the rack with the pins no matter what. I still think one can change up some stuff in there, even flying solo.
    I am not currently doing anything like this with pressing, maybe some with my pulls, but my pressing is so bad right now, I just don't care at this point.

Well, maybe try some of this guys tips...

http://syattfitness.com/guides/the-w...-to-variation/
  5. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    I hear you on the alone work. I have been doing quite a few of my W/O's anymore, alone. I always press in the rack with the pins no matter what. I still think one can change up some stuff in there, even flying solo.
    I am not currently doing anything like this with pressing, maybe some with my pulls, but my pressing is so bad right now, I just don't care at this point.

Well, maybe try some of this guys tips...

http://syattfitness.com/guides/the-w...-to-variation/
    That's a sick article thanks for that link. I'm gonna have to start frequenting that website someone linked me an article to their about a powerlifting diet lots of great info
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

A number of options to allow for neuromuscular adaptation/coordination development include limiting your exercise selection, say to 3 (I recommend this) as well as doing that lift for a wave of 2 or 3 weeks. I think with your bench press you have a degree of neuromuscular coordination and efficiency that you would not benefit from doing 3 week waves, so I'd work with 1 or 2 week waves.

Second, I would always select a DB bench press variation that complements the range of motion of your main exercise. So if you use a bench press variation that has limited range of motion (floor press, board press, pin press, pause inches off chest press/isometric press) I would use a DB press with greater range of motion (incline DB bench, decline DB bench, close grip DB bench). If you use a variation with greater range of motion (close grip variations (flat or decline) or cambered bar bench) then I'd complement that with a decreased range of motion bench, like DB floor press.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    A number of options to allow for neuromuscular adaptation/coordination development include limiting your exercise selection, say to 3 (I recommend this) as well as doing that lift for a wave of 2 or 3 weeks. I think with your bench press you have a degree of neuromuscular coordination and efficiency that you would not benefit from doing 3 week waves, so I'd work with 1 or 2 week waves.

Second, I would always select a DB bench press variation that complements the range of motion of your main exercise. So if you use a bench press variation that has limited range of motion (floor press, board press, pin press, pause inches off chest press/isometric press) I would use a DB press with greater range of motion (incline DB bench, decline DB bench, close grip DB bench). If you use a variation with greater range of motion (close grip variations (flat or decline) or cambered bar bench) then I'd complement that with a decreased range of motion bench, like DB floor press.
    That's some awesome advice, Toro. Where'd you come up with all that?
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

I have some tricks up my sleeve

I don't know, I'm sure I've read about these ideas here and there.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    I have some tricks up my sleeve

I don't know, I'm sure I've read about these ideas here and there.
    Lol. Good enough for me, man. This is why I love the forum.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. transdermals, sex and bed - question?
    By xcreed in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-13-2003, 09:12 PM
  2. Question about T-1 Pro??
    By windwords7 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-31-2002, 04:07 PM
  3. PH & Chloesterol question
    By dg806 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-05-2002, 10:58 PM
  4. 1-test questions