Conjugate question.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Ok so for bench press and all the other main lifts(squats/deads) I'm aware ur supposed to change up the main lift to a different variant of that lift because after 3 weeks of over 90% maxes ud start to regress in strength. My question is would u be able to do flat bench on ur ME day one week then rack press the next ME day then back to flat bench the next. I know this would be boring for some but would it prevent strength regression. I mean ur still switching the main lift but at the same time ur using only two. Any thoughts?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Might depend on how advanced or how much room you still have for progression!?
Are you varying stuff like grip widths or maybe bars?
Are you using a slight incline ever, or say floor pressing?
Chains or bands?
Varying heights, like board maybe pin pressing?

I think the main idea, is to subtly change or switch up some, the exact demand on the body's groove just a little, to perhaps elicit a change from the same old pattern over and over again.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
That's actually a really good point I can't believe I didn't think of that. So what I was thinking was every other week switching from flat to rack press. So what I should do is switch the grip by a finger or so each time on both exercises and on rack press also change the pin number? I have to use rack press alot because I don't have a partner alot and the times I go to the gym it is most of the time empty so I don't have the luxury of being able to so floor presses and all that cool stuff and when I do have a spot I like to use flat just because that's the lift I want to improve so I believe in doing it somewhat frequently.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hear you on the alone work. I have been doing quite a few of my W/O's anymore, alone. I always press in the rack with the pins no matter what. I still think one can change up some stuff in there, even flying solo.
I am not currently doing anything like this with pressing, maybe some with my pulls, but my pressing is so bad right now, I just don't care at this point.

Well, maybe try some of this guys tips...

http://syattfitness.com/guides/the-westside-barbell-conjugate-method-a-guide-to-variation/

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I hear you on the alone work. I have been doing quite a few of my W/O's anymore, alone. I always press in the rack with the pins no matter what. I still think one can change up some stuff in there, even flying solo.
I am not currently doing anything like this with pressing, maybe some with my pulls, but my pressing is so bad right now, I just don't care at this point.

Well, maybe try some of this guys tips...

http://syattfitness.com/guides/the-westside-barbell-conjugate-method-a-guide-to-variation/
That's a sick article thanks for that link. I'm gonna have to start frequenting that website someone linked me an article to their about a powerlifting diet lots of great info

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A number of options to allow for neuromuscular adaptation/coordination development include limiting your exercise selection, say to 3 (I recommend this) as well as doing that lift for a wave of 2 or 3 weeks. I think with your bench press you have a degree of neuromuscular coordination and efficiency that you would not benefit from doing 3 week waves, so I'd work with 1 or 2 week waves.

Second, I would always select a DB bench press variation that complements the range of motion of your main exercise. So if you use a bench press variation that has limited range of motion (floor press, board press, pin press, pause inches off chest press/isometric press) I would use a DB press with greater range of motion (incline DB bench, decline DB bench, close grip DB bench). If you use a variation with greater range of motion (close grip variations (flat or decline) or cambered bar bench) then I'd complement that with a decreased range of motion bench, like DB floor press.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A number of options to allow for neuromuscular adaptation/coordination development include limiting your exercise selection, say to 3 (I recommend this) as well as doing that lift for a wave of 2 or 3 weeks. I think with your bench press you have a degree of neuromuscular coordination and efficiency that you would not benefit from doing 3 week waves, so I'd work with 1 or 2 week waves.

Second, I would always select a DB bench press variation that complements the range of motion of your main exercise. So if you use a bench press variation that has limited range of motion (floor press, board press, pin press, pause inches off chest press/isometric press) I would use a DB press with greater range of motion (incline DB bench, decline DB bench, close grip DB bench). If you use a variation with greater range of motion (close grip variations (flat or decline) or cambered bar bench) then I'd complement that with a decreased range of motion bench, like DB floor press.
That's some awesome advice, Toro. Where'd you come up with all that?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have some tricks up my sleeve ;)

I don't know, I'm sure I've read about these ideas here and there.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have some tricks up my sleeve ;)

I don't know, I'm sure I've read about these ideas here and there.
Lol. Good enough for me, man. This is why I love the forum.