Powerlifitng bench form

  1. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    42180

    Powerlifitng bench form


    So I've been working with just the shoulders back and down but could never get the hang of getting my legs into the lift. Recently I've had the pleasure to get some tips from a living legend at my gym who used to almost bench 3x his bodyweight and he's been helping alot with form and I can get some nice leg drive but obviously my arch is much more pronounced that before and I can feel the tension on my back/lower back during the lift and then after and sometimes if its a heavy session the day after. My question is am I damaging my back at all I mean I know nothing is completely 100% safe but am I gonna be messed up later in life because of it. I don't really know how to put it in words but I'm willing to make the sacrifice if its just gonna be uncomfortable and not do any real damage but if I'm gonna really **** something up I probably will change it. Any and all advice on this topic is welcome. Thank you and God Bless.

  2. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    42180

    Anyone?
  3. Registered User
    Joe_P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    178
    Rep Power
    48270

    I have never heard of anyone damaging their back and I have trained with 3 800 benchers. Not saying it cannot happen though. My back was definitely sore when I started arching. Now I am benching raw I don't arch as much and keep my feet flat on the floor.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    2,374
    Rep Power
    465989

    op, its your breathing messing up your form. when you unrack the weight, you need to hold your breath the entire time and imagine pushing your belly out your penis. it sounds stupid, but it tightens your lumbar so you dont balance the bar on it.

    next tme you bring the weight down, push your belly out as far as you can. itll be uncomfortable as hell, but itll save your lower back

    this is also the reason you wont be able to go for reps with the powerlifting form. it gets pretty tiring after 3-5 lol
  5. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    42180

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    op, its your breathing messing up your form. when you unrack the weight, you need to hold your breath the entire time and imagine pushing your belly out your penis. it sounds stupid, but it tightens your lumbar so you dont balance the bar on it.

    next tme you bring the weight down, push your belly out as far as you can. itll be uncomfortable as hell, but itll save your lower back

    this is also the reason you wont be able to go for reps with the powerlifting form. it gets pretty tiring after 3-5 lol
    I've heard of holding ur breath during the reps but wouldn't all that pressure in ur stomach give u a hernia?
  6. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    42180

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
    I have never heard of anyone damaging their back and I have trained with 3 800 benchers. Not saying it cannot happen though. My back was definitely sore when I started arching. Now I am benching raw I don't arch as much and keep my feet flat on the floor.
    Yea I try to only arch my upper back but I can't really tell if its my upper or lower and I too keep my feet planted
  7. Registered User
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,022
    Rep Power
    2242791

    I'm still tryin to get over the fact that Onion said penis
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  8. Registered User
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    2,374
    Rep Power
    465989

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupNaziNazi View Post

    I've heard of holding ur breath during the reps but wouldn't all that pressure in ur stomach give u a hernia?
    no. a hernia happens when you lift with your legs (usually from the ground) without exhaling, think deadlifts and squats. the diaphragm, full of air, pushes a muscle out of place, and theres the hernia

    with the benchpress, all youre doing is tightening your core to brace your lumbar. theres no actual lower body movement aside from the small leg drive. your diaphragm doesnt move, so it wont push anything anywhere

    if youve had a hernia already, then you might wanna be careful
  9. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    275
    Rep Power
    42180

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post

    no. a hernia happens when you lift with your legs (usually from the ground) without exhaling, think deadlifts and squats. the diaphragm, full of air, pushes a muscle out of place, and theres the hernia

    with the benchpress, all youre doing is tightening your core to brace your lumbar. theres no actual lower body movement aside from the small leg drive. your diaphragm doesnt move, so it wont push anything anywhere

    if youve had a hernia already, then you might wanna be careful
    Thanks for that info and no I haven't had one but my father had one from lifting when he was younger so I'm always extra leary
  10. Registered User
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    115611

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    no. a hernia happens when you lift with your legs (usually from the ground) without exhaling, think deadlifts and squats. the diaphragm, full of air, pushes a muscle out of place, and theres the hernia
    Not really. It is possible to get a hernia from sneezing and or taking a dump and does not always have to do with breathing or not either. Yes, many times they can be genetic too, but to think it is only related to a certain kind of pushing with the legs, is not accurate. Weaknesses in the fascia walls that contain the intestines/etc. are generally the reasons and there can be a few differing kinds of hernias, pushing out, down or coming upwards. You can also get umbilical hernias as well.
    I had a rt side inguinal mesh repair 12 years ago.
    If you google it, you will get some accurate info on them.
  11. Registered User
    IronTale's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  440 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    17

    If you constantly push the limits of course you'll cause some damage here and there. Almost all professional athletes have some sort of an injury.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Correct Benching Form
    By latenight6194 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 04:51 PM
  2. Form Check...Yes another one. Incline Bench at 30 degree
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 12:47 PM
  3. Bench Form - Good Read
    By The Neck in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 09:19 AM
  4. Critique my bench press form
    By dkwilson16 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 09:49 PM
  5. Proper bench press form??
    By 1517 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 04:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in