Never had this happen. Tips?

Little_Dude

Little_Dude

Awards
Ok guys I some how miss placed my Chucks which is really making me upset but none the less. Instead of buying a new pair I just went back to Squatting in my Oly shoes. I really like the way they feel how ever for some reason when I wear them once I get up to around 400lbs I start to lean forward in my Squat. When I reverse up out of the hole my hips raise but the bar goes no where.... This has never happened in my Chucks... Whats going on.
475lbs Subtle Hip Raise
Oly Squats 475 - YouTube
510 Very Noticeable and even made me miss the rep :-( sorry about the bench in the way but you can clearly still see whats going on.
Oly Squat 510 miss - YouTube

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not a powerlifter or anything, but have you ever tried squatting without shoes?. I've seen a few guys do that and I guess they seem to like it. Squat looks fine on that first link. I don't see anything wrong.

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
I know guys that swear by oly shoes, but honestly I find flat shoes superior. Chucks are ok, but I find that even they have too much padding. So I either go barefoot or use a pair of vibram soled shoes (Merrel Barefoot). Wrestling shoes are my next choice.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
its the heel on those oly shoes dude. they fuk with your form because youre a flat foot/bare foot squatter. just buy another cheap pair of chucks, or go vibram if you feel like blowing some money

Little_Dude

Little_Dude

Awards
its the heel on those oly shoes dude. they fuk with your form because youre a flat foot/bare foot squatter. just buy another cheap pair of chucks, or go vibram if you feel like blowing some money
This is what I figured I was just trying to be a cheap ass and hope some one would be like just do this and bam lol

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
This is what I figured I was just trying to be a cheap ass and hope some one would be like just do this and bam lol
how did your glutes feel when you were going up on the first vid? one of the common reasons for the forward lean in advanced squatter is they forget to push with their glutes. i think the heel might of messed you up there

Little_Dude

Little_Dude

Awards
I'm not a powerlifter or anything, but have you ever tried squatting without shoes?. I've seen a few guys do that and I guess they seem to like it. Squat looks fine on that first link. I don't see anything wrong.
Yeah I have Squat Barefooted before but for some reason when I do my ankles like to cave inward and I lose a lot of power out of the hole. Also its illegal in a meet so I don't do it

Little_Dude

Little_Dude

Awards
how did your glutes feel when you were going up on the first vid? one of the common reasons for the forward lean in advanced squatter is they forget to push with their glutes. i think the heel might of messed you up there
I honestly felt almost nothing in my glutes and hips felts like the entire lift was nothing but Quads almost exactly like a front Squat

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I dunno what to tell ya man. I switched to Oly shoes at the beginning of the summer and my squat has gone up and it's extremely comfortable. Tried chucks again and I almost fell on my ass.

I definetly can't squat as wide as you are in Oly shoes, but chucks I can. Maybe that could be it? Are you screwing your feet in?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe you just had a bad day that day. You could be doing it subconsciously because you know you like your other shoes better, therefore giving yourself an excuse to purchase new shoes. I say just go ahead and purchase some new chuck taylors. Sometimes concentrating too much on making the perfect lift can actually screw you up. Then you just start to find or look for other things wrong.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I squat much better in a slight heel, and I might guess, since you were programmed to feel the push more flat in the CT's the slight heel shifted you a tad forward.

Either way, that is some bad arse stkrong squatting dude. Looked dang deep too...!

Little_Dude

Little_Dude

Awards
Maybe you just had a bad day that day. You could be doing it subconsciously because you know you like your other shoes better, therefore giving yourself an excuse to purchase new shoes. I say just go ahead and purchase some new chuck taylors. Sometimes concentrating too much on making the perfect lift can actually screw you up. Then you just start to find or look for other things wrong.

I agree going out and buying some today thinking hot pink with neon green laces what ya think haha.

Little_Dude

Little_Dude

Awards
I dunno what to tell ya man. I switched to Oly shoes at the beginning of the summer and my squat has gone up and it's extremely comfortable. Tried chucks again and I almost fell on my ass.

I definetly can't squat as wide as you are in Oly shoes, but chucks I can. Maybe that could be it? Are you screwing your feet in?
Yeah I noticed that as well I was trying to Squat the exact same way I do in my Chucks so... Low Bar, Sit Back, and Wider Stance pretty much everything you should not do if you squat in Oly Shoes as I research it a bit more.

I was def trying to screw my feet in but for some reason everything from head to toe just felt off. Even from the start I felt like I could not get my heels into the ground fully. I only use Oly Shoes for pressing and occasionally Sumo Pulls so everything Squatting wise just felt off. But thanks for the critique will most likely just be buying new Chucks today.

Little_Dude

Little_Dude

Awards
I squat much better in a slight heel, and I might guess, since you were programmed to feel the push more flat in the CT's the slight heel shifted you a tad forward.

Either way, that is some bad arse stkrong squatting dude. Looked dang deep too...!
Thanks man have been really doing everything possible to bring my squat up still not happy with it but, until I beat Sam Byrd I probably wont be hahaha. Thanks again seriously.

J

Joe_P

Awards
You are a posterior dominant squatter, and when you took the flat shoes off you are not automatically recruiting the same muscles as you were. There is a reason why wide stance squatters wear chucks and OLY squatters wear shoes with a hard heel. I don't even have to watch the videos to tell you this.

P

Pwins417

Awards
If you look at an Olympic lifter vs powerlifter you will see the Olympic lifter with an extremely narrow stance which makes his hamstrings tight as he goes down which would necessitate a raised heal for him. On the other hand a powerlifter squats wide making his hips take a big amount of the stress from the weight having your heals raised with with tight hips will actually make your hip flexors contract more due to your anterior chain being stretched more.