PumpHouse gets back his 500 lb Deadlift

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Hey everyone. I figured I would log this as I havent seen much info on it.

Some background, in the past I've pulled a 505 dead, hitched it, but was able to get it up. Recently I've had a series of surgeries on my retina and have had to take it pretty easy in the gym. Now that my vision is stable it's time to get back to a 500 lb dead. I maxed out last Saturday and was able to pull 460. I'm currently sitting at 198 lbs but over the next few months I would like to jump up to 215-220. I'm 5'8 fairly lean right now. I pull conventional.

The plan: Im going to train my deads on Saturday, using the "Ed Coan Deadlift Routine" that I've arbitrarily ripped from the interwebs. It looks good so hopefully in 10 weeks I'll pull 500.

The other days of the week will be some hypertrophy work, but I don't plan on updating this more than once or twice a week so I'll just be focusing on the Ed coan program. I'll still be hitting my bench, squats, and OHP though.

Hope you guys will follow along.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is that the Coan Phillipi routine?
If you are hitching your max pulls!?, it might be a real good idea, to calculate your start, from a good "anytime of day" strong single with good form. (maybe 90%)
There is a good bit of back work in the routine. I think I did that a few years back.
All the best in your endeavor and quest for 10 big wheels...!

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Yes sir that's the routine. The 460 is a clean pull with no hitching.

The rows, and pulldowns and what not dont worry me, it's the power shrugs, I haven't done shrugs in a very long time lol. Hopefully I can keep up with them.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Warmed up with some band stretching and light DL work

Deadlifts
400x1x2 (easy as hell)

Speed pulls
300x8x3 (slowed down by the end but good speed early on)

Good mornings superset with rows

185x3x8
265x3x8 (some English on these)

Stiff legs superset with underhand lat pulldowns

225x3x8
180x3x8

I'm real weak on those pulldowns, just don't do them often.

Solid work today, more volume then I'm used to. Excited for what's to come.

Hit a country fried steak with 4 eggs right after. Gravy mmm.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey man, I'm in for the ride

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Deadlifts
Warm up
425x1x2 (really rough today) rounded the hell out of my back. Just tired I guess

Speed DLing
325x8x3 (again had better days, these were slow)

Circuit 3x8

Good mornings 185
Rows 265
Stiff legged deads 245
Pulldowns 190

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
This program is rough, it's a lot of volume, and I usually do speed work at about 60% or 50% with bands. This had me doing 65% at my TARGET weight of 500# lol. It was rough. Getting stronger though, I can feel it.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
I'll pose this question here since I got some strong guys subbed. How the hell does anyone under 6' use a belt to deadlift? I recently gave up on it.

I rock a 4" 10 mm Inzer single prong. Everytime I get a belly full of air and reach down it digs into my ribs. I can't figure out how to use it! It's done wonders for my squatting though, no problems there.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know Rob has that issue. I'm 5'9" and have no issues. Try different positioning (high/low) and loosen it up a notch. I can always spin my belt around easily when standing upright. It's only tight until I suck air.

I used to bruise when I had some love handles going on

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
I know Rob has that issue. I'm 5'9" and have no issues. Try different positioning (high/low) and loosen it up a notch. I can always spin my belt around easily when standing upright. It's only tight until I suck air.

I used to bruise when I had some love handles going on
I seem to have tried it every which way. Think there's anything to those spud inc deadlift belts?

I have some love handles for sure. I'm about 5'8.5" so not too different. But I store fat really low around my hips. So I'm built quite differently.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll pose this question here since I got some strong guys subbed. How the hell does anyone under 6' use a belt to deadlift? I recently gave up on it.

I rock a 4" 10 mm Inzer single prong. Everytime I get a belly full of air and reach down it digs into my ribs. I can't figure out how to use it! It's done wonders for my squatting though, no problems there.
I'm 5'8" and have been known to get a little girthy. The key for me (and I have a big thick 13mm) is to jack the belt as high as you can. I also tighten my belt so that it's a little hard to hook up, and then I close the lever. I feel it gives me some pop when I fill my belly with air and get down there.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I seem to have tried it every which way. Think there's anything to those spud inc deadlift belts?

I have some love handles for sure. I'm about 5'8.5" so not too different. But I store fat really low around my hips. So I'm built quite differently.
Meh, I'm fat too :p lol

My gym has a Spud DL belt laying around. Ive never used it too much so I can't vouche for it's support, but it is an extremely comfortable belt.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
I'll try hiking it up like crazy. I just feel like it won't do anything for support that way lol. I'll give it a try on Monday at work and see how it goes.

It's weird the amount of pain I'm willing to put up with on a normal basis, but some light bruising and rubbing from a belt and I'm ready to throw it out lol.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What kind of belt and what thickness do you have?

I looked into spud belts...would be awesome, but they aren't allowed in competition...which is where you maxing sooo...

I recently bought a new belt. An apt lever Texas longhorn belt. I got it at liftinglarge dot com. Much more comfortable than my multi ply economy belt.

I haven't gone heavy yet as I am coming bak from a tweak...but I'll let you know how it goes.

Some guys do 1 notch loser and high like herderdude was saying. I'm 5'9 as well. When it gets heavier ill get back to you.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll try hiking it up like crazy. I just feel like it won't do anything for support that way lol. I'll give it a try on Monday at work and see how it goes.

It's weird the amount of pain I'm willing to put up with on a normal basis, but some light bruising and rubbing from a belt and I'm ready to throw it out lol.
Mine goes to lower thoracic/upper lumbar vertebrae, which is where I need my support. I feel like the big belts really aren't meant to be worn low. I get it just below my last rib and probably onto my floating ribs in the back. Not quite as high as Eric Lilliebridge or Stan Efferding, but as high as I can stand it.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here is a vid of the different belt positions of the Lilliebridge brothers:

I would just keep inching it up until the comfort/support point is reached.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Wow thanks for the help guys. I'll play around with it and see what works. I guess I didn't realize that high was an option. I'll see what I can do with it.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hear you.
Don't some of you guys pull sumo? Maybe I'm wrong, since I know little of sumo pulling, but I think a belt works better sinnce you are in a more upright torso position. Not really true for conventional pullers.
I tried one higher (like KK), lower etc. etc. and just can't get down good enough, so I don't use one, even for maxes. Maybe I will look into a thinner one!?

Yes, that routine works you into quite a bit of pulling and volume. (That is why I might have mentioned starting with a conservative max) It will certainly bring up your work capacity however.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I hear you.
Don't some of you guys pull sumo? Maybe I'm wrong, since I know little of sumo pulling, but I think a belt works better sinnce you are in a more upright torso position. Not really true for conventional pullers.
I tried one higher (like KK), lower etc. etc. and just can't get down good enough, so I don't use one, even for maxes. Maybe I will look into a thinner one!?

Yes, that routine works you into quite a bit of pulling and volume. (That is why I might have mentioned starting with a conservative max) It will certainly bring up your work capacity however.
Belt is definitely no problem sumo bc of the upright torso. I scoured the Internet to see that many guys get extremely uncomfortable with the conventional pulls with a belt. Most people try to do what they can to manage it.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I'm 5'7", so I hear your pain about the belt. I went with a fabric Harbinger 4" belt with the Velcro. It's pretty cheap but it stays put and helps get the job done with virtually no pain. Sometimes keeping it simple is the way to go.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I pull conventional with my 10mm lever with no issues at all.

Although, I think a lot of it has to do with body structure as my torso is fairly long in comparison to my legs.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
My girlfriend wears a 3" belt. (It's bright shiny turquoise). Maybe I'll look into that?at this point I don't mind spending a few extra bucks as I'm working three jobs.

When I pull sumo I can wear a belt, but I can't pull heavy enough to need one. So that's not going to work. My conventional is a much stronger approach.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
I look forward all week to deadlift Saturdays.

It also bares mentioning, my tiny little blonde girlfriend is also running this program, I'll let you all know how she fares during this as well. She's looking to hit a 235 lb dead at 108 lbs

I also didn't mention, but the only things I'm taking are protein, GHRP-6, CJC, and creatine mono. After this ill run some tren and test and set another competition date.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Week 3

Deadlift
425x1x2
First rep with belt, second without. It worked but it hurt like hell. Hiked it WAY up.

Speed dl
350x6x3

Yikes, these had me sweating hard. My shirt was soaked through and I ruined the snus in my pocket.

Circuit 3x8

Good mornings 245
Rows 225
Stiff legs 225
Underhand lat pulldowns 170

I lowered some of the assistance work so I could focus on hitting them a little cleaner. Good day though.

Hit up Tommy's afterwards, Got 2 double chili burger combos. It was awesome.

This program is tough but it's making my DL robotic.

My girlfriend hit 185 for 2 reps today. But she's on week 1 and her conditioning is way better. So nothing really to report there. It was funny watching her kill 185 while the guy next to her struggled to lift the same amount lol.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Me and my training partner just ate a 50" inch stuffed crust pizza in 41 minutes and won a couple free shirts. I feel like such a fatty. I'll do anything for a free Tshirt.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Me and my training partner just ate a 50" inch stuffed crust pizza in 41 minutes and won a couple free shirts. I feel like such a fatty. I'll do anything for a free Tshirt.
Hahaha that's awesome man

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you look at some of my videos you can see how I wear my belt. I wear it high and looser the heavier I go. I have no issues. It's not a competition belt because its Velcro. I think it comes down to having the right belt too. I pull 550 and I'm your build/height but a little lighter. I haven't seen you but from you're description we sound similar. Any more luck?

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
So far I've had only partial success. I put the belt way up. And I could still pull, but It doesn't seem to help much. Then it moves around too much. Idk I think I'm just giving up to easily. I'll try using it on my speed work, that'll give me an extra thirty or so reps a session. Should be good practice. We'll see how that goes. I'll let you know.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It may just take reps and time to get a comfortable groove with it. Mine goes under my ribs. When I pull my core is tight and my lower ribs slide under the belt at the bottom of the rep. Maybe you are holding your air in your diagram and pushing your ribs out over the belt? You want to like. Fill your body and stomach but not do that.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Week 3

Deadlift
425x1x2
First rep with belt, second without. It worked but it hurt like hell. Hiked it WAY up.

Speed dl
350x6x3

Yikes, these had me sweating hard. My shirt was soaked through and I ruined the snus in my pocket.

Circuit 3x8

Good mornings 245
Rows 225
Stiff legs 225
Underhand lat pulldowns 170

I lowered some of the assistance work so I could focus on hitting them a little cleaner. Good day though.
Good work and hang in there, it should also slowly raise your work capacity some.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
For some reason I was able to use my belt on all but my heaviest set, but still getting more used to it, high and loose with the buckle behind me.

Deadlifts
450x1x1 the program calls for two reps, I just couldn't get it, no sleep, just fxcked it up. I'll probably repeat this week.

Speed deads
375x5x3

Circuit 3x5
GM's 255#
Bent over rows 245#
Stiff legs 275#
Pull-ups BW

I've had an off day, but my back stayed straight as a board on even the heaviest set. Something that I've been really slacking on lately. I got a big chest, and figured out if I go a tad wider with my hands, I can get my chest through MUCH easier. It's really helped.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Solid worn for an off day. I would just say you may wanna see how you feel if you plan to repeat this heavy of a week two weeks in a row. Sometimes it takes longer than that to fully recover for near maximal deads. Don't wanna see you get hurt on the journey. You obviously know your body, but just some food for thought.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would just say you may wanna see how you feel if you plan to repeat this heavy of a week two weeks in a row. Sometimes it takes longer than that to fully recover for near maximal deads. Don't wanna see you get hurt on the journey. You obviously know your body, but just some food for thought.
I might agree on the food for thought, you were at 99% (@#450 of your #460) already.
The calculator on the C&P routine is a nice touch, but it puts in figures for you to simply calculate as a start and finish, whether or not you are accustomed to those heavy of jumps ie: #425 1x2, last week and a #25 jump in a week 1x2, might be a lot when one is getting up over 90% of your maxes. Just sayin'!?
Thinking out outloud: The next weeks W/O has you dropping back (slight breather) to about 87% x3x3. (still not real light and may be taxing!? Just not sure if you repeat again 4th week, it will be better or push an earlier peak!?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like Paul's advice bud.

Ive always had an interest in Coans programs. I like 5/3/1 but I wish I had chosen Coans just to peak on everything before my meet.

I pulled conventional for the first time in weeks yesterday from a deficit in a belt. I didnt really find any issue with it. It did push up into my gut when I got into position and made me wanna vomit lol

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Well should I back off for a week, maybe just do the speed and assistance work? Or take a real Deload and just take it real easy next week. Then repeat this week?

I really do think it was just a sleep issue. Everything else has been pretty good and all my lifts are returning to where they were pre surgery. So I think it was just an off day. But I'm willing to back off a week, just looking for advice on how easy I should take it.

As a side question. Anyone ever used a Hip Circle?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Week 3

Deadlift
425x1x2
Well, this was your 3rd week ^, and I am not sure if it is supposed to be this hard so soon per se and your 4th week you missed the 2nd rep, so, if it were me, and this is all I can give you an opinion from, is that I personally, might back down the work weight ( I am sure you don't want to hear that) to gain some momentum back in the ramp to the last harder weeks to follow, to say do the 5th week at #375 x3x3 (dropping maybe #25) and then see how the 3x3 go and feels. (Then maybe 3x3 with the #400 next then pick up the doubles afterwards)
I am not sure a deload will necessarily give you that bigger jump in strength. Maybe the week 5 (or 6) #425 1x2 again, you will get 2 good clean smooth reps no hitch and week 7 #450 x1x2 you get both clean!? (<Maybe reassess after this one!? to see how they go or feel!?)
I know you want to get back to where you were pre injury, (been there done that) but it might pay, to be a bit more patient and a little less aggressive on the weight jumps.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
To be fair, I meant the belt hurt, not the reps.

Eeeeffffffff, fine. You're probably right, it's probably an ego thing. Maybe I'll lower the numbers and keep progressing through the program, using 475 as the target number, maybe 480.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey, okay gotcha, (I thought it read hitched, not hiked, my bad) you know yourself better than anyone. I was more or less going by your 4th week and missing a rep but as you say too, maybe some missed sleep and just a bit under rested.
Lastly, I don't know if you are a person who more thrives on an almost grinder type harder rep(s) or less intense. I know a few guys who do not recover well if they are going to heavy ie: above 92% 95% and then others who can do better closer to all out intense W/O's. I seem to do better or recover with harder or more multi reps at times.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Oh makes sense. Yeah I'm not sure exactly what I'll do. You're bound to miss a rep or two here and there. So I'll take a longer warm up next Saturday and see how everything feels. Then I'll make a judgement call. I go through bouts of very poor sleep, have since I was little. It's the main thing restricting my recovery. Otherwise it's very good. GHRP seems to help. Idk I'll see where this week takes me. But I want to hit a strong 500 lbs. so if that means 6 more weeks or 16 more weeks I'm fine with it.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Maybe I'll try to get video of a few sets this week. People here have been offering lots of advice I may as well do my best to accept it.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a hip circle. I do monster walks, bodweight squats, and sumo pulls with it. It's pretty awesome.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Btw. I missed my session today. Got called into work.

Stay tuned til tomorrow.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Deadlift

400 x 3 x 3 (easy)

Speed deads

325 x 3 x 3

Shrugs

275 x 3 x 5

The assistance work was quick but rough. Didn't mark down weights but they weren't as heavy as they should've been as I just worked with a partner and he's not as strong. Ah well.

Motivation renewed.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Not bad at all man! If 400x3 is easy, then you will be back to 500 sooner than later!
500 is my goal as well, but I still have a bit of work to go. Went 415 x 3 the other day but it was fuggin rough, hard to hold those shoulders back, rounded pretty bad on the last lift.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
I've been focusing on keeping my back real straight, I've found a few unorthodox tricks that have helped quite a bit. Like for one I've put my hands out further, which increases my range of motion, but it allows me to push my chest through much easier, it's actually made a huge difference in my posture.

415 x 3 is solid, 500 is a milestone for sure, I cannot wait to hit it again, and hopefully in competition.