PumpHouse gets back his 500 lb Deadlift

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Hey everyone. I figured I would log this as I havent seen much info on it.

Some background, in the past I've pulled a 505 dead, hitched it, but was able to get it up. Recently I've had a series of surgeries on my retina and have had to take it pretty easy in the gym. Now that my vision is stable it's time to get back to a 500 lb dead. I maxed out last Saturday and was able to pull 460. I'm currently sitting at 198 lbs but over the next few months I would like to jump up to 215-220. I'm 5'8 fairly lean right now. I pull conventional.

The plan: Im going to train my deads on Saturday, using the "Ed Coan Deadlift Routine" that I've arbitrarily ripped from the interwebs. It looks good so hopefully in 10 weeks I'll pull 500.

The other days of the week will be some hypertrophy work, but I don't plan on updating this more than once or twice a week so I'll just be focusing on the Ed coan program. I'll still be hitting my bench, squats, and OHP though.

Hope you guys will follow along.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Is that the Coan Phillipi routine?
    If you are hitching your max pulls!?, it might be a real good idea, to calculate your start, from a good "anytime of day" strong single with good form. (maybe 90%)
    There is a good bit of back work in the routine. I think I did that a few years back.
    All the best in your endeavor and quest for 10 big wheels...!
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Yes sir that's the routine. The 460 is a clean pull with no hitching.

The rows, and pulldowns and what not dont worry me, it's the power shrugs, I haven't done shrugs in a very long time lol. Hopefully I can keep up with them.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Warmed up with some band stretching and light DL work

Deadlifts
    400x1x2 (easy as hell)

Speed pulls
    300x8x3 (slowed down by the end but good speed early on)

Good mornings superset with rows

185x3x8
    265x3x8 (some English on these)

Stiff legs superset with underhand lat pulldowns

225x3x8
    180x3x8

I'm real weak on those pulldowns, just don't do them often.

Solid work today, more volume then I'm used to. Excited for what's to come.

Hit a country fried steak with 4 eggs right after. Gravy mmm.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Hey man, I'm in for the ride
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

In.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Thanks for joining up guys.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.

Get it done man! 500 is beast!
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Deadlifts
    Warm up
    425x1x2 (really rough today) rounded the hell out of my back. Just tired I guess

Speed DLing
    325x8x3 (again had better days, these were slow)

Circuit 3x8

Good mornings 185
    Rows 265
    Stiff legged deads 245
    Pulldowns 190
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

This program is rough, it's a lot of volume, and I usually do speed work at about 60% or 50% with bands. This had me doing 65% at my TARGET weight of 500# lol. It was rough. Getting stronger though, I can feel it.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

I'll pose this question here since I got some strong guys subbed. How the hell does anyone under 6' use a belt to deadlift? I recently gave up on it.

I rock a 4" 10 mm Inzer single prong. Everytime I get a belly full of air and reach down it digs into my ribs. I can't figure out how to use it! It's done wonders for my squatting though, no problems there.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

I know Rob has that issue. I'm 5'9" and have no issues. Try different positioning (high/low) and loosen it up a notch. I can always spin my belt around easily when standing upright. It's only tight until I suck air.

I used to bruise when I had some love handles going on
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    I know Rob has that issue. I'm 5'9" and have no issues. Try different positioning (high/low) and loosen it up a notch. I can always spin my belt around easily when standing upright. It's only tight until I suck air.

I used to bruise when I had some love handles going on
    I seem to have tried it every which way. Think there's anything to those spud inc deadlift belts?

I have some love handles for sure. I'm about 5'8.5" so not too different. But I store fat really low around my hips. So I'm built quite differently.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpHouse View Post
    I'll pose this question here since I got some strong guys subbed. How the hell does anyone under 6' use a belt to deadlift? I recently gave up on it.

I rock a 4" 10 mm Inzer single prong. Everytime I get a belly full of air and reach down it digs into my ribs. I can't figure out how to use it! It's done wonders for my squatting though, no problems there.
    I'm 5'8" and have been known to get a little girthy. The key for me (and I have a big thick 13mm) is to jack the belt as high as you can. I also tighten my belt so that it's a little hard to hook up, and then I close the lever. I feel it gives me some pop when I fill my belly with air and get down there.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

I seem to have tried it every which way. Think there's anything to those spud inc deadlift belts?

I have some love handles for sure. I'm about 5'8.5" so not too different. But I store fat really low around my hips. So I'm built quite differently.
    Meh, I'm fat too :P lol

My gym has a Spud DL belt laying around. Ive never used it too much so I can't vouche for it's support, but it is an extremely comfortable belt.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

I'll try hiking it up like crazy. I just feel like it won't do anything for support that way lol. I'll give it a try on Monday at work and see how it goes.

It's weird the amount of pain I'm willing to put up with on a normal basis, but some light bruising and rubbing from a belt and I'm ready to throw it out lol.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Oh and I'm not fat!!! I'm jolly.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

What kind of belt and what thickness do you have?

I looked into spud belts...would be awesome, but they aren't allowed in competition...which is where you maxing sooo...

I recently bought a new belt. An apt lever Texas longhorn belt. I got it at liftinglarge dot com. Much more comfortable than my multi ply economy belt.

I haven't gone heavy yet as I am coming bak from a tweak...but I'll let you know how it goes.

Some guys do 1 notch loser and high like herderdude was saying. I'm 5'9 as well. When it gets heavier ill get back to you.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

I'll try hiking it up like crazy. I just feel like it won't do anything for support that way lol. I'll give it a try on Monday at work and see how it goes.

It's weird the amount of pain I'm willing to put up with on a normal basis, but some light bruising and rubbing from a belt and I'm ready to throw it out lol.
    Mine goes to lower thoracic/upper lumbar vertebrae, which is where I need my support. I feel like the big belts really aren't meant to be worn low. I get it just below my last rib and probably onto my floating ribs in the back. Not quite as high as Eric Lilliebridge or Stan Efferding, but as high as I can stand it.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

Here is a vid of the different belt positions of the Lilliebridge brothers:

I would just keep inching it up until the comfort/support point is reached.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Wow thanks for the help guys. I'll play around with it and see what works. I guess I didn't realize that high was an option. I'll see what I can do with it.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

I hear you.
    Don't some of you guys pull sumo? Maybe I'm wrong, since I know little of sumo pulling, but I think a belt works better sinnce you are in a more upright torso position. Not really true for conventional pullers.
    I tried one higher (like KK), lower etc. etc. and just can't get down good enough, so I don't use one, even for maxes. Maybe I will look into a thinner one!?

Yes, that routine works you into quite a bit of pulling and volume. (That is why I might have mentioned starting with a conservative max) It will certainly bring up your work capacity however.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post

I hear you.
    Don't some of you guys pull sumo? Maybe I'm wrong, since I know little of sumo pulling, but I think a belt works better sinnce you are in a more upright torso position. Not really true for conventional pullers.
    I tried one higher (like KK), lower etc. etc. and just can't get down good enough, so I don't use one, even for maxes. Maybe I will look into a thinner one!?

Yes, that routine works you into quite a bit of pulling and volume. (That is why I might have mentioned starting with a conservative max) It will certainly bring up your work capacity however.
    Belt is definitely no problem sumo bc of the upright torso. I scoured the Internet to see that many guys get extremely uncomfortable with the conventional pulls with a belt. Most people try to do what they can to manage it.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.

I'm 5'7", so I hear your pain about the belt. I went with a fabric Harbinger 4" belt with the Velcro. It's pretty cheap but it stays put and helps get the job done with virtually no pain. Sometimes keeping it simple is the way to go.
  25. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

I pull conventional with my 10mm lever with no issues at all.

Although, I think a lot of it has to do with body structure as my torso is fairly long in comparison to my legs.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

My girlfriend wears a 3" belt. (It's bright shiny turquoise). Maybe I'll look into that?at this point I don't mind spending a few extra bucks as I'm working three jobs.

When I pull sumo I can wear a belt, but I can't pull heavy enough to need one. So that's not going to work. My conventional is a much stronger approach.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

I look forward all week to deadlift Saturdays.

It also bares mentioning, my tiny little blonde girlfriend is also running this program, I'll let you all know how she fares during this as well. She's looking to hit a 235 lb dead at 108 lbs

I also didn't mention, but the only things I'm taking are protein, GHRP-6, CJC, and creatine mono. After this ill run some tren and test and set another competition date.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Week 3

Deadlift
    425x1x2
    First rep with belt, second without. It worked but it hurt like hell. Hiked it WAY up.

Speed dl
    350x6x3

Yikes, these had me sweating hard. My shirt was soaked through and I ruined the snus in my pocket.

Circuit 3x8

Good mornings 245
    Rows 225
    Stiff legs 225
    Underhand lat pulldowns 170

I lowered some of the assistance work so I could focus on hitting them a little cleaner. Good day though.

Hit up Tommy's afterwards, Got 2 double chili burger combos. It was awesome.

This program is tough but it's making my DL robotic.

My girlfriend hit 185 for 2 reps today. But she's on week 1 and her conditioning is way better. So nothing really to report there. It was funny watching her kill 185 while the guy next to her struggled to lift the same amount lol.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Me and my training partner just ate a 50" inch stuffed crust pizza in 41 minutes and won a couple free shirts. I feel like such a fatty. I'll do anything for a free Tshirt.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Me and my training partner just ate a 50" inch stuffed crust pizza in 41 minutes and won a couple free shirts. I feel like such a fatty. I'll do anything for a free Tshirt.
    Hahaha that's awesome man
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

I had my GHRP-6 right before =]
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

If you look at some of my videos you can see how I wear my belt. I wear it high and looser the heavier I go. I have no issues. It's not a competition belt because its Velcro. I think it comes down to having the right belt too. I pull 550 and I'm your build/height but a little lighter. I haven't seen you but from you're description we sound similar. Any more luck?
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

So far I've had only partial success. I put the belt way up. And I could still pull, but It doesn't seem to help much. Then it moves around too much. Idk I think I'm just giving up to easily. I'll try using it on my speed work, that'll give me an extra thirty or so reps a session. Should be good practice. We'll see how that goes. I'll let you know.
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

It may just take reps and time to get a comfortable groove with it. Mine goes under my ribs. When I pull my core is tight and my lower ribs slide under the belt at the bottom of the rep. Maybe you are holding your air in your diagram and pushing your ribs out over the belt? You want to like. Fill your body and stomach but not do that.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Week 3

Deadlift
    425x1x2
    First rep with belt, second without. It worked but it hurt like hell. Hiked it WAY up.

Speed dl
    350x6x3

Yikes, these had me sweating hard. My shirt was soaked through and I ruined the snus in my pocket.

Circuit 3x8

Good mornings 245
    Rows 225
    Stiff legs 225
    Underhand lat pulldowns 170

I lowered some of the assistance work so I could focus on hitting them a little cleaner. Good day though.
    Good work and hang in there, it should also slowly raise your work capacity some.
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

For some reason I was able to use my belt on all but my heaviest set, but still getting more used to it, high and loose with the buckle behind me.

Deadlifts
    450x1x1 the program calls for two reps, I just couldn't get it, no sleep, just fxcked it up. I'll probably repeat this week.

Speed deads
    375x5x3

Circuit 3x5
    GM's 255#
    Bent over rows 245#
    Stiff legs 275#
    Pull-ups BW

I've had an off day, but my back stayed straight as a board on even the heaviest set. Something that I've been really slacking on lately. I got a big chest, and figured out if I go a tad wider with my hands, I can get my chest through MUCH easier. It's really helped.
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Solid worn for an off day. I would just say you may wanna see how you feel if you plan to repeat this heavy of a week two weeks in a row. Sometimes it takes longer than that to fully recover for near maximal deads. Don't wanna see you get hurt on the journey. You obviously know your body, but just some food for thought.
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    I would just say you may wanna see how you feel if you plan to repeat this heavy of a week two weeks in a row. Sometimes it takes longer than that to fully recover for near maximal deads. Don't wanna see you get hurt on the journey. You obviously know your body, but just some food for thought.
    I might agree on the food for thought, you were at 99% (@#450 of your #460) already.
    The calculator on the C&P routine is a nice touch, but it puts in figures for you to simply calculate as a start and finish, whether or not you are accustomed to those heavy of jumps ie: #425 1x2, last week and a #25 jump in a week 1x2, might be a lot when one is getting up over 90% of your maxes. Just sayin'!?
    Thinking out outloud: The next weeks W/O has you dropping back (slight breather) to about 87% x3x3. (still not real light and may be taxing!? Just not sure if you repeat again 4th week, it will be better or push an earlier peak!?
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

I like Paul's advice bud.

Ive always had an interest in Coans programs. I like 5/3/1 but I wish I had chosen Coans just to peak on everything before my meet.

I pulled conventional for the first time in weeks yesterday from a deficit in a belt. I didnt really find any issue with it. It did push up into my gut when I got into position and made me wanna vomit lol
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Well should I back off for a week, maybe just do the speed and assistance work? Or take a real Deload and just take it real easy next week. Then repeat this week?

I really do think it was just a sleep issue. Everything else has been pretty good and all my lifts are returning to where they were pre surgery. So I think it was just an off day. But I'm willing to back off a week, just looking for advice on how easy I should take it.

As a side question. Anyone ever used a Hip Circle?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-22-2012, 05:47 PM
  2. new to the board. need help getting back into AAS
    By blackjack in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 10:12 AM
  3. Getting Back Into The Game
    By TheRifleman in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2004, 11:28 AM